Labrats' Hangout

Psi Wavefunction
Cекси техническая лаборатория
About me: I kill threads WITH SCIENCE!

I like Crascuits. :coffee:

Labrats' Hangout

Post by Psi Wavefunction » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:18 pm

Thought we might need one! :mrgreen:

Here we can talk about all the top secret world-domination-aimed super-virulent/explosive research we do in our ivory tower lab facilities! :twisted:

<secret>

So, what are your favourite things to do with liquid nitrogen? :whisper:

</secret>

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Re: Labrats' Hangout

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:21 pm

Chill beer, of course. I used to work in a LOX plant or two. We could freeze all that unneeded water out of a can of beer in under a minute. The resulting "cream" was a really killer. :td:
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Psi Wavefunction

Post by Psi Wavefunction » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:22 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:Chill beer, of course. I used to work in a LOX plant or two. We could freeze all that unneeded water out of a can of beer in under a minute. The resulting "cream" was a really killer. :td:
Thanks for the suggestion! :tup:

I mean, your taxpayer dollars will be put to a good use. :shifty:

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:36 pm

Psi Wavefunction wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:Chill beer, of course. I used to work in a LOX plant or two. We could freeze all that unneeded water out of a can of beer in under a minute. The resulting "cream" was a really killer. :td:
Thanks for the suggestion! :tup:

I mean, your taxpayer dollars will be put to a good use. :shifty:
We were dumping a contaminated tank, and I had a tiny bit of beer in my car. Cause => Effect.
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

MedGen
Primordial Booze
About me: Bad breath: check
Slightly camp: check
Ghastly wife: check

Must be British.

Post by MedGen » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:16 am

Pull up a pew and let me bore you with my research! :D No really my project is fascinating, for me. Noone else seems to think so :x
The nature of reality is not subject to the decrees of human institutions

If having an identity is to have an essence, I do not have an identity. My sense of self it too varied and contextual - Kenneth Strike

Psi Wavefunction

Post by Psi Wavefunction » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:25 am

MasterBaker wrote:Pull up a pew and let me bore you with my research! :D No really my project is fascinating, for me. Noone else seems to think so :x
:pop: Go on. And then I'll bore y'all with mine! :twisted:

MedGen
Primordial Booze

Must be British.

Post by MedGen » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:23 am

Well it all starts with a genome-wide association study conducted across a Caucasian population in search for susceptibility variants to rheumatoid arthritis. Several genetic variants and regions are well characterised, and as expected these were associated with the most significant p-values (in the range of 10-26). Several other regions were significantly associated, including some at 6q23. Several independent studies have since confirmed these findings and replicated them in both UK and Northern American cohorts. In addition a second statistically independent variant was found to be associated with protection against RA just 4kbp away from the original variant. The only problem is that they both fall right in the middle of a 400kb gene desert. :what:

The closest genomic element of interest is a putative processed pseudogene of a non-receptor type 2 protein tyrosine phosphatase found on chromosome 12. The nearest genes are a neuronal transcription factor and a downstream molecule involved in TNF signalling (a good candidate gene for RA susceptibility). However, there is no linkage disequilibrium between these variants and either of the other two genes. Again :what:
Additionally a genome-wide study of all protein tyrosine phosphatases detected a transcript from this pseudogene on 6q23. So we have an actively (?) transcribed processed pseudogene.

So is this processed pseudogene somehow responsible? That's my project. So far I've sequenced across the region and genotyped the various SNP's in the region in the CEU HapMap samples (90 of the buggers). I've also correlated specific genetic variants with publicly available expression data for the pseduogenes parent gene, with a statistically significant result.

The stage I'm on now involves detecting the parent gene within specific immune cells. This I've literally just done (i.e. I finished the Westerns on Friday) and there is no doubt the parent gene is actively expressed in monocytes. What is also interesting is that the Ab I used picked up both the endogenous protein, and the specifically phosphorylated version of the protein which points to it actively dephosphorylating in these cell types, very interesting, but not massively surprising.

So the next step is to detect the pseudogene transcript and see if it is also expressed in these cells types. I'm using orientation specific primers for RT-PCR so that we can also get an idea of what the hell is going on. Potentially I could be looking at the generation of an anti-sense RNA which is incorporated into RISC and acts in that fasion. Alternatively the pseudogene could be transcribed in both orientations leading to a duplex formation and the the generation of endogenous siRNA's. At the moment I wouldn't even hazard a guess as to what the mechanism of action (if any) is.

I've only got about 6months left to work out what the hell is going on, but damn it's fucking interesting. It's also kinda novel, what with a potential ncRNA mechanism and all. :read:

If having an identity is to have an essence, I do not have an identity. My sense of self it too varied and contextual - Kenneth Strike

Psi Wavefunction

Post by Psi Wavefunction » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:55 pm

How do you put up with all that molecular work? :shock: I guess I'll stop whining about having to genotype in-between playing with the scope then :mrgreen:

Oh, and aren't we happy this isn't in vogue anymore:

Looks like a hellish way of doing things...

The Curious Squid
Lazy Spic Bastard
About me: a sexually deviant misogynist sexist pig who's into sex trafficking, sexual slavery, murder, bondage, rape and pre-frontal lobotomy of your victims.

Post by The Curious Squid » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:43 pm

MasterBaker wrote:Well it all starts with a genome-wide association study conducted across a Caucasian population in search for susceptibility variants to rheumatoid arthritis. Several genetic variants and regions are well characterised, and as expected these were associated with the most significant p-values (in the range of 10-26). Several other regions were significantly associated, including some at 6q23. Several independent studies have since confirmed these findings and replicated them in both UK and Northern American cohorts. In addition a second statistically independent variant was found to be associated with protection against RA just 4kbp away from the original variant. The only problem is that they both fall right in the middle of a 400kb gene desert. :what:

The closest genomic element of interest is a putative processed pseudogene of a non-receptor type 2 protein tyrosine phosphatase found on chromosome 12. The nearest genes are a neuronal transcription factor and a downstream molecule involved in TNF signalling (a good candidate gene for RA susceptibility). However, there is no linkage disequilibrium between these variants and either of the other two genes. Again :what:
Additionally a genome-wide study of all protein tyrosine phosphatases detected a transcript from this pseudogene on 6q23. So we have an actively (?) transcribed processed pseudogene.

So is this processed pseudogene somehow responsible? That's my project. So far I've sequenced across the region and genotyped the various SNP's in the region in the CEU HapMap samples (90 of the buggers). I've also correlated specific genetic variants with publicly available expression data for the pseduogenes parent gene, with a statistically significant result.

The stage I'm on now involves detecting the parent gene within specific immune cells. This I've literally just done (i.e. I finished the Westerns on Friday) and there is no doubt the parent gene is actively expressed in monocytes. What is also interesting is that the Ab I used picked up both the endogenous protein, and the specifically phosphorylated version of the protein which points to it actively dephosphorylating in these cell types, very interesting, but not massively surprising.

So the next step is to detect the pseudogene transcript and see if it is also expressed in these cells types. I'm using orientation specific primers for RT-PCR so that we can also get an idea of what the hell is going on. Potentially I could be looking at the generation of an anti-sense RNA which is incorporated into RISC and acts in that fasion. Alternatively the pseudogene could be transcribed in both orientations leading to a duplex formation and the the generation of endogenous siRNA's. At the moment I wouldn't even hazard a guess as to what the mechanism of action (if any) is.

I've only got about 6months left to work out what the hell is going on, but damn it's fucking interesting. It's also kinda novel, what with a potential ncRNA mechanism and all. :read:
English please MedGen :coffee:
We have no great war, no great depression.
Our great war is a spiritual war.
Our great depression is our lives.
JimC wrote:Ratz is just beautiful... :woot:

Where else could you go from the taste of raw egg to licking marmalade off tits in such a short space of time?
Pensioner wrote:I worked for 50 years and that's long enough for anyone, luckily I worked to live not lived for work.
Lozzer wrote:You ain't Scottish unless you live off Chicken nuggets, White Lightening and speak like an incomprehensible cow.

leo-rcc
Robo-Warrior
About me: Combat robot builder

Post by leo-rcc » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:56 pm

I fell asleep after "genome-wide association study". :mrgreen:
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
My combat robot site: http://www.team-rcc.org
My other favorite atheist forum: http://www.atheistforums.org

Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you

MedGen
Primordial Booze

Must be British.

Post by MedGen » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:27 am

Psi Wavefunction wrote:How do you put up with all that molecular work? :shock: I guess I'll stop whining about having to genotype in-between playing with the scope then :mrgreen:

Oh, and aren't we happy this isn't in vogue anymore:
ckin

Looks like a hellish way of doing things...
:whisper: It's cos I'm going to be a molecular geneticist. :D
If I had to set up separate tubes and run them on gels for chain-termination, I would go fucking insane, especially when you've got to sequence 8 fragments in 90 individuals. I think I put through 8 96-well plates for sequencing, in the space of three days. :nono:
Paco wrote: English please MedGen :coffee:
I duz scienz, itz reeel gud fun. (Genetics of rheumatoid arthritis ;) )

Geoff
Pouncer

Post by Geoff » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:01 pm

MasterBaker wrote:Well it all starts with a study conducted across a Caucasian population in search for Several genetic variants and regions are well characterised, and as expected these were associated with the most Several other regions were . Several independent studies have since confirmed these findings and replicated them in both UK and Northern American cohorts. In addition a second statistically independent variant was found to be associated with . The only problem is that they both fall right in the middle of a . :what:

The closest found on chromosome 12. The nearest genes are a . However, there is no between these variants and either of the other two genes. Again :what:
Additionally a .

So is this somehow responsible? That's my project. So far I've sequenced across the region and (90 of the buggers). I've also correlated , with a statistically significant result.

The stage I'm on now involves detecting the parent gene within specific immune cells. This I've literally just done (i.e. I finished the Westerns on Friday) and there is no doubt the parent gene is . What is also interesting is that the version of the protein which points to it actively in these cell types, very interesting, but not massively surprising.

So the next step is to detect the and see if it is also expressed in these cells types. I'm using so that we can also get an idea of what the hell is going on. Potentially I could be looking at the generation of an and acts in that fasion. Alternatively the . At the moment I wouldn't even hazard a guess as to what the mechanism of action (if any) is.

I've only got about 6months left to work out what the hell is going on, but damn it's fucking interesting. It's also kinda novel, what with a potential and all. :read:

That makes much more sense... :tup:
"...anyone who says it’s “just the Internet” can :pawiz: . And then when they come back, they can :pawiz: again." - Tigger

CP

Post by CP » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:39 am

I'm a lab assistant in training... can I hang out here?
We have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.

ScholasticSpastic
Inscrutable Inoculator

Post by ScholasticSpastic » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:10 pm

CP wrote:I'm a lab assistant in training... can I hang out here?
Absolutely. :cheers:
"You've got to be a real asshole to quote yourself!"
~ScholasticSpastic

(I am not a police officer. I am unarmed.)

Psi Wavefunction

Post by Psi Wavefunction » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:23 am

CP wrote:I'm a lab assistant in training... can I hang out here?
I think we're all in training here! :cheers:

Might be working in TWO labs this summer! :shifty: :worried:

I have soooo much work! Anyone wanna do some work for me? :twisted: Although I'm paid 10h/wk, I work more like 20-30 just because of all the planning and work and such that goes into it... all in the name of a manuscript. I fucking NEED that paper ASAP...

Meanwhile, my coursework... :leave: :levi: