That's amazing ! Post incredible facts here.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Re: That's amazing ! Post incredible facts here.

Post by Hermit » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:31 pm

DRSB wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:25 pm
Is this not a bastard?
Germany's Der Spiegel says star reporter Claas Relotius wrote fake stories 'on a grand scale'

Der Spiegel said Claas Relotius, one of its top journalists, had fabricated parts of more than a dozen stories.
Hong Kong (CNN Business)A top European news magazine has fired one of its star journalists after discovering that he had fabricated facts and sources in more than a dozen articles over a seven-year period.

"Claas Relotius, a reporter and editor, falsified his articles on a grand scale and even invented characters, deceiving both readers and his colleagues," Germany's Der Spiegel said in an article published online Wednesday.
The startling revelation is a heavy blow to Der Spiegel, a 71-year-old publication that's renowned for its quality journalism and read by hundreds of thousands of people in print and by millions online.
"I'm so angry, horrified, shocked, stunned," the magazine's deputy foreign editor Mathieu von Rohr tweeted. "Claas Relotius faked, he cheated all of us."
After a colleague working with Relotius on a story in the United States flagged suspicions about his reporting, Der Spiegel says it carried out an internal investigation. Relotius confessed last week that he invented entire passages for that article, and also falsified information in other stories, according to the magazine.
Relotius, who resigned Monday at the magazine's request, said he was sick and needed help, a Der Spiegel spokesman told CNN.
This is what Spiegel explains: http://www.spiegel.de/kultur/gesellscha ... 44579.html
Worse than Stern magazines Hitler Diaries fiasco. That was just a on-off event. Claas Relotius, on the other hand, managed to get a whole series of brazen fabrications past Spiegel's fact checking procedures over a period of several years. The report you linked to mentions that checks were made. For example, when Relotius wrote that it takes a good hour to drive from the city of Marianne to Tallahassee, the fact checkers questioned it and found the assertion to be true. Great. But then they somehow failed to notice that the reporter never ever actually met many of the people he wrote about at great length as if he had spent hours, days and even weeks with them.

Why not? Well, it's cheap to check the distance between Marianne and Tallahassee. A quick google sorts that query out. Checking if Relotius had spent face to face time with the people he pretended to have talked with and accompanied at length costs money. Money Der Spiegel was not prepared to spend, for that would have a negative impact on its profitability. It therefore comes as no surprise that the scandal only blew up when a colleague of Relotius, Juan Moreno became afraid of potentially having his own reputation compromised after discovering what Relotius turned an article into that he co-authored with the fraudster, spent a considerable amount of his own money on retracing certain steps in order to prove Relotius wrong and himself in the clear.

All that said, the only redeeming features of this sorry tale are that 1) the resultant fake news were the result of greed than ideology, and 2) although you need to read between the lines about money pinching, Spiegel made a clean breast of its massive fact checking failure very much as soon as the star reporter's lies were uncovered.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:04 pm

He had regular orders from Switzerland, from NZZ, no less, won an award recently, they were not very particular about checking the facts either, suckers for celebrities!

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:06 am

On the difference between legal and legitimate.

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:16 am

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:32 am

Aliens dunnit.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:02 am

but it was
Attachments
awiens.jpg
awiens.jpg (46.68 KiB) Viewed 2373 times
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:31 am

A new species combining wolves, coyotes and dogs is evolving before scientists’ eyes in the eastern United States.

Wolves faced with a diminishing number of potential mates are lowering their standards and mating with other, similar species, reported The Economist.
https://www.rawstory.com/2015/10/a-new- ... cqPImRze4U

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:29 am

Perverts!
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:06 am

These are worse! Cloning itself means no bi-sex reproduction?
This Mutant Crayfish Clones Itself, and It’s Taking Over Europe
The marbled crayfish is a mutant species that clones itself, scientists report. The population is exploding in Europe, but the species appears to have originated only about 25 years ago.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/05/scie ... &smtyp=cur

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:09 am

We've got urban adapted coyote crosses here. Canids are nothing if not adaptable.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:23 pm

Holy Molly, I did not know for sure what's the French for 'lye' (I was expecting something on the order of 'caustic soda') ... so I go to the wikipedia page for lye, where I learn that the term commonly covers a solution of potash 'potassium hydroxide) rather than only soda... and when I look at the equivalent pages in various languages section, I discover that there is no French equivalent... :shock:
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:45 pm

Sacre Bleu!

Woodbutcher
Stray Cat
Stray Cat
About me: Still crazy after all these years.

Post by Woodbutcher » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:34 pm

The French do not know how to lye?!!
If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.-Red Green
"Yo". Rocky
"Never been worried about what other people see when they look at me". Gawdzilla
"No friends currently defined." Friends & Foes.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:48 pm

...straight in bed... :tea:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:00 am

Svartalf wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:23 pm
Holy Molly, I did not know for sure what's the French for 'lye' (I was expecting something on the order of 'caustic soda') ... so I go to the wikipedia page for lye, where I learn that the term commonly covers a solution of potash 'potassium hydroxide) rather than only soda... and when I look at the equivalent pages in various languages section, I discover that there is no French equivalent... :shock:
"lessive", non?
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4