Hermit wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:26 am
rainbow wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:25 am
Hermit wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:00 am
rainbow wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:35 am
Perhaps, as one can't be sure that the original reports are 100% accurate.
What original reports? The earliest fragment of the new testament we know of is dated from between AD 150-250. It is not about the birth of the (possibly entirely fictitious) birth of Jesus Christ.
You think?
:ab: :ab: :ab: :ab:
Think what? That the earliest fragment of the new testament we know of is dated from between AD 150-250, and that it is not about the birth of the (possibly entirely fictitious) birth of Jesus Christ? Why, yes, I do. Feel free to correct me if you can. I am always happy to be proven wrong. It means progress - one less mistaken notion in my mind.
There are many myths in religious works, this one is not special.

... except for those who think it is and I'm not one of them :FIO:
So, what original reports are you talking about? Where can we see them?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Re: Science news of the day thread.

Post by rainbow » Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:19 pm

Hermit wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:09 pm
rainbow wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:09 pm
Hermit wrote:
rainbow wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:25 am
Hermit wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:00 am

What original reports? The earliest fragment of the new testament we know of is dated from between AD 150-250. It is not about the birth of the (possibly entirely fictitious) birth of Jesus Christ.
You think?
:ab: :ab: :ab: :ab:
Think what? That the earliest fragment of the new testament we know of is dated from between AD 150-250, and that it is not about the birth of the (possibly entirely fictitious) birth of Jesus Christ? Why, yes, I do. Feel free to correct me if you can. I am always happy to be proven wrong. It means progress - one less mistaken notion in my mind.
There are many myths in religious works, this one is not special.

... except for those who think it is and I'm not one of them :FIO:
So, what original reports are you talking about? Where can we see them?
I was being facetious.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:28 pm

I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:00 am

Hermit wrote:
I am always happy to be proven wrong. It means progress - one less mistaken notion in my mind.
Well that might just fit well in my signature as a reminder when you persist in being your self admitted cantankerous self ..... :whistle:
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:17 am

macdoc wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:00 am
Hermit wrote:
I am always happy to be proven wrong. It means progress - one less mistaken notion in my mind.
Well that might just fit well in my signature as a reminder when you persist in being cantankerous ..... :whistle:
OK, this is true: I am frequently cantankerous. Exactly as it says underneath my avatar. But I have never been cantankerous as a result of being proven wrong. Now, fuck off and make yourself useful. Feed the crocodiles. I'm confident they'll find something nutritious hidden inside your ample layer of fat. :razzle:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:38 am

too fatty a diet might split their skin, and they won't make decent shoes or bags anymore
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:40 pm

But I have never been cantankerous as a result of being proven wrong
fairy data.

I prefer the term "solid" :food: :soup: :whistle:
I am actually of the opinion that fat in diet is critical to mental health ....oh and BTW skinny old men are at the highest risk of premature death.
Older men who lost weight, total lean mass or total fat mass had a higher risk of mortality than men who remained stable.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3403719/
Thinness and mortality. - American Journal of Public Healthhttps://ajph.aphapublications.org › pdf › AJPH.77.3.317
by S Sidney · 1987 · Cited by 112 — 3.9) current cigarette smokers were at increased risk of mortality ... Thin men had higher mortality rates than men of average.
now don't be grumpy :coffee:

care to compare
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:53 pm

That's a nice portrait.

--//--

It is a bit conservative though. You could just be posting the inside cover of some flight magazine, or a clipping from an IKEA ad. This is the Internet... :razzle:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:07 pm

You need a bigger bike.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:07 pm

Well I rarely get in my riding shots a photo pro happened to be shooting the same falls and asked if I wanted him to take a shot. So I did.

It's on my website and there are lots of references to Millaa Millas on my motorcycle blog.
https://www.gtamotorcycle.com/xf/thread ... st-2807958

Besides I'm not that good at green screening.

Bigger bike ?? no ....I've been steadily downsizing from a gas guzzling CBF1000 to a CB500x and now a CB300F - with $1.70 per liter gas prices here 71 mpg real is very useful, it's much lighter and I can do 340 km for 111-12 liters of fuel.
It will cruise nicely at 100kph which is the heavily enforced legal limit here and go to 120+ if needed. I retired my 2004 KLR 650 which was getting awkward and heavy for my age plus not doing any off pavement anymore.
This has 59 liters of storage for grocery runs with the big tank bag ( have yet to use it all )
Got a lucky purchase as guy was leaving Cairns the next day and used the same dealer I use for service so got it for about $1200 under market with roadworthy. Should last my riding career. I'll have been riding 60 years when I turn 77.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:23 pm

macdoc wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:40 pm
...skinny old men are at the highest risk of premature death.
That is not what the article you linked to says. Read the title.
Mortality Risk in Older Men Associated with Changes in Weight, Lean Mass and Fat Mass
Now read the conclusion.
Older men who lost weight, total lean mass or total fat mass had a higher risk of mortality than men who remained stable.
From the introduction
...weight loss in younger, obese adults confers health benefits, whereas, weight loss in older individuals is associated with an increased risk of mortality...
The article you linked to explicitly states that risk of mortality increases with old men with poor baseline health who lose weight. It also explicitly states that this does not apply to any other men, young or old. Your takeaway, "skinny old men are at the highest risk of premature death", does not follow what it says, except in the special conditions it mentions.
Intentional weight loss has been found to decrease risk of mortality, especially in younger men and overweight men, but in the setting of poor baseline health may increase the risk of mortality.

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:04 am

You can find lots more about mortality of thin old men that state their death risk is highest ....if you care to look. https://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/p ... H.77.3.317
weight loss in older individuals is associated with an increased risk of mortality...

thanks for that.

I'll stick to my "solid" approach with low meat and middle carbs and NOT low fat. My weight has not varied significantly since I had cancer in my 60s....still wear my same gear tho I like oversized clothes in the tropics for casual wear.
Love these guys
https://www.lightinthebox.com/en/p/men- ... rEQAvD_BwE
I did get a cooler jacket for the tropics

My dad and mum both made 95 and dad active enough to walk to the ambulance and was driving legally so my genes are okay. Happy whereI am ...worry about partner sometimes, she's protecting her rotten spine with aggressive weight loss....horns of a dilemma for her. She does not eat until noon. :fp:

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:57 am

macdoc wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:04 am
You can find lots more about mortality of thin old men that state their death risk is highest ....if you care to look. https://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/p ... H.77.3.317
weight loss in older individuals is associated with an increased risk of mortality...

thanks for that.
Nice snippage. Here is the full quote:
...weight loss in younger, obese adults confers health benefits, whereas, weight loss in older individuals is associated with an increased risk of mortality...
And keep in mind that the article's subjects under discussion are not just old, overweight men who lose weight, but also "in the setting of poor baseline health".

Whichever way you look at it, the article does not lead to the general conclusion - as you wishfully put it - that
macdoc wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:40 pm
...skinny old men are at the highest risk of premature death.
Neither does your new link. It deals with men and women in the lowest and highest deciles of body mass index only.
Men and women in the lowest and highest deciles of body mass index (Quetelet's index) had higher age-adjusted mortality rates from all causes than men and women of intermediate body mass index
Further, according to the authors the increased mortality rate of thin people only shows up among current smokers.
our findings suggested that thinness was associated with an increased risk of mortality only in current cigarette smokers
The findings from this study suggest that there is an interaction between thinness and cigarette smoking resulting in a higher mortality rate in thin current cigarette smokers compared with their average weight counterparts. There is no evidence of an increased risk of mortality in thin non-smokers or ex-smokers.
This means that thinness per se is not the issue.

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:14 am

I'm confident they'll find something nutritious hidden inside your ample layer of fat. :razzle:
You should know better..... :nono: I don't mind the challenge but realllllly not on.
I don't see any photos of your svelte example. :coffee:

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:23 am

macdoc wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:14 am
I'm confident they'll find something nutritious hidden inside your ample layer of fat. :razzle:
You should know better..... :nono: I don't mind the challenge but realllllly not on.
I don't see any photos of your svelte example. :coffee:
You won't either. Firstly, because according to CDC's Adult BMI Calculator I am on the obese side of the scale by two kilograms. Give or take a few kilos, that's where I've been for the past 15 years or so, except for a brief period in 2016 when I dug this trench:

My weight dropped from 99 to about 87 kilos. In the following couple of months it rose back up to 99.

Secondly, because the most recent photo of me I could find is almost nine years old. That's a lot of water under the bridge.