Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Re: Science news of the day thread.

Post by FBM » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:39 am

http://www.physorg.com/news/2012-02-fos ... ucted.html
Fossil cricket: Jurassic love song reconstructed
February 6, 2012

Some 165 million years ago, the world was host to a diversity of sounds. Primitive bushcrickets and croaking amphibians were among the first animals to produce loud sounds by stridulation (rubbing certain body parts together). Modern-day bushcrickets – also known as katydids – produce mating calls by rubbing a row of teeth on one wing against a plectrum on the other wing but how their primitive ancestors produced sound and what their songs actually sounded like was unknown – until now.
LGT rest of story and vid/audio reconstruction.
Trigger Warning!!!1! :
Sounds like somebody tapping on a beer mug with a spoon. :ddpan:
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:53 am

Amazing chimp "genius" in Japan: http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/16832378
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

Ronja
Just Another Safety Nut
About me: mother of 2 girls, married to fellow rat MiM, student (SW, HCI, ICT...) , self-employed editor/proofreader/translator

Post by Ronja » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:13 am

This is a bit old, but I haven't seen it posted on RatZ. Hat tip to GFL.
Successful Implantation of a Continuous-Flow Total Artificial Heart in a Patient at The Texas Heart Institute

HOUSTON, TX. (March 23, 2011) – Doctors at the Texas Heart Institute (THI) at St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital (SLEH) have successfully implanted the first continuous-flow device that mimics what might be considered a total artificial heart...

On March 10, 2011, Drs. Bud Frazier and Billy Cohn implanted the 2 approved devices into 55-year-old Houstonian Craig A. Lewis. These devices were used in a last attempt to save his life.

Mr. Lewis had a rare condition called cardiac amyloidosis, a disease in which the heart is infiltrated by an abnormal protein produced elsewhere in the body. Patients with this affliction are not candidates for heart transplantation because the amyloidosis would probably recur in the transplanted heart. ...

Mr. Lewis had been supported by an external blood pump, a dialysis machine, and a breathing machine for 2 weeks before doctors decided to try this approach.

Because the device produces continuous flow, Mr. Lewis does not have a heartbeat, or a pulse. An EKG records no rhythm because the heart has been removed. Extensive research performed at the Cullen Cardiovascular Research Lab has shown that this unusual physiology is well tolerated by mammals. Based on their results over the last 5 years, Drs. Cohn and Frazier believed that this device was an option for Mr.Lewis. Less than one week after the device's implantation, Mr. Lewis was able to sit up in bed and speak with family members. ...

"This really is medical history in the making. The demonstration that one can support the human cardiovascular system with 2 implanted continuous-flow pumps is remarkable and very encouraging. With this new concept in cardiac replacement, we are much closer to realizing a meaningful off-the-shelf replacement," said Dr. James T. Willerson, THI president.
More here: http://texasheart.org/AboutUs/News/2011 ... ws_tah.cfm
"The internet is made of people. People matter. This includes you. Stop trying to sell everything about yourself to everyone. Don’t just hammer away and repeat and talk at people—talk TO people. It’s organic. Make stuff for the internet that matters to you, even if it seems stupid. Do it because it’s good and feels important. Put up more cat pictures. Make more songs. Show your doodles. Give things away and take things that are free." - Maureen J

"...anyone who says it’s “just the Internet” can :pawiz: . And then when they come back, they can :pawiz: again." - Tigger

Ronja
Just Another Safety Nut
About me: mother of 2 girls, married to fellow rat MiM, student (SW, HCI, ICT...) , self-employed editor/proofreader/translator

Post by Ronja » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:57 am

FBM wrote:Amazing chimp "genius" in Japan: http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/16832378
I found the variation of simian species described in the story more amazing still: at least chimpanzees, orangutans, macaque monkeys and rhesus monkeys have already learned to use computers. Fascinating!

Ayumu I did not find amazing, though, and I was a bit disappointed that he was presented as something surprising in the article. After all, he grew up watching his mom - he's a second generation computer user, and it makes sense that he is more proficient than even the best of the first generation.
"The internet is made of people. People matter. This includes you. Stop trying to sell everything about yourself to everyone. Don’t just hammer away and repeat and talk at people—talk TO people. It’s organic. Make stuff for the internet that matters to you, even if it seems stupid. Do it because it’s good and feels important. Put up more cat pictures. Make more songs. Show your doodles. Give things away and take things that are free." - Maureen J

"...anyone who says it’s “just the Internet” can :pawiz: . And then when they come back, they can :pawiz: again." - Tigger

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:30 am

Yes, Ayumu had a lot of advantages in nurturing, but the fact that he is capable of outperforming humans in a memory test is surprising to me. I'd like to see what morphological changes have occurred in his brain due to this training.

Ronja
Just Another Safety Nut

Post by Ronja » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:02 am

I have a vague memory of reading somewhere, several years ago, that birds of the Corvidae family (including crows, ravens, magpies and rooks) can outperform humans in some tasks. IIRC the birds identified the correct number of objects in groups of objects with 3-8 objects in each faster than humans, on average, but I really can't swear. It is not mentioned in Wikipedia, though that is in no way conclusive of anything http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corvids#Intelligence

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:36 am

Ronja wrote:I have a vague memory of reading somewhere, several years ago, that birds of the Corvidae family (including crows, ravens, magpies and rooks) can outperform humans in some tasks. IIRC the birds identified the correct number of objects in groups of objects with 3-8 objects in each faster than humans, on average, but I really can't swear. It is not mentioned in Wikipedia, though that is in no way conclusive of anything http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corvids#Intelligence
Ravens are brilliant birds, tool makers and tool users. The young learn from the adults, it's not an inherited skill. Video out there somewhere.
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Ronja
Just Another Safety Nut

Post by Ronja » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:35 am

Gawdzilla wrote:
Ronja wrote:I have a vague memory of reading somewhere, several years ago, that birds of the Corvidae family (including crows, ravens, magpies and rooks) can outperform humans in some tasks. IIRC the birds identified the correct number of objects in groups of objects with 3-8 objects in each faster than humans, on average, but I really can't swear. It is not mentioned in Wikipedia, though that is in no way conclusive of anything http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corvids#Intelligence
Ravens are brilliant birds, tool makers and tool users. The young learn from the adults, it's not an inherited skill. Video out there somewhere.
Video not found yet, but a couple of interesting links:
http://www.cracked.com/article_19042_6- ... think.html
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/ ... elligence/

It cracks me up that they make such a number of that last one - that they finally managed to design a test that most crows actually fail. :lol:

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:25 pm

Nearly all marine fish came from freshwater ancestors

by whyevolutionistrue

I'm sure that most of us think that marine fish evolved in the sea, but a new paper by Greta Vega and John Wiens in the Proceedings of the Royal Society (B) says that that just ain't so. The vast majority of them evolved from ancestors who lived in fresh water (themselves derived from marine ancestors) and then re-invaded the sea—just as marine mammals evolved from terrestrial mammals whose distant ancestors were aquatic.

As Vega and Wiens point out, compared to the land, the sea is biologically depauperate: marine habitat covers 70% of the Earth's surface but contains only 15-25% of Earth's species. It gets worse if you count "habitable space": since the ocean is three-dimensional, Vega and Wiens claim that it contains "90-99% of the volume of the habitable biosphere."

Why this relative lack of marine species compared to those on land (or freshwater)? A number of hypotheses have been proposed, including the water habitat itself (this doesn't stand up because freshwater fish are far more diverse per unit area than marine fish), and a greater net primary productivity (NPP: the amount of atmospheric carbon that finds its way into plants) in terrestrial than marine habitats. (NPP is the base of the biological food pyramid.) But the difference in NPP between terrestrial and marine habitats is not very large, and freshwater NPP is by far the lowest despite having more fish diversity than marine habitats.

Continues...

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:00 am

Our branch of the evolutionary tree is starting to get kinda crowded...

http://lightyears.blogs.cnn.com/2012/03 ... ?hpt=hp_c2
'Red Deer Cave' people, possibly a new human species?
Newly identified partial skeletons of "mysterious humans" excavated at two caves in southwest China display an unique mix of primitive and modern anatomical features, scientists say.

"Their skulls are anatomically unique. They look very different to all modern humans, whether alive today or in Africa 150,000 years ago," said evolutionary biologist Darren Curnoe, the lead author of the study, from the University of New South Wales in Australia.

The fossils found at excavation sites in Longlin Cave, in Guangxi Province, and the Maludong Cave, in Yunnan Province, indicate that the stone-aged people had short, flat faces and lacked a modern chin. They had thick skull bones, a rounded brain case, prominent brow ridges and a moderate-size brain.

They were dubbed the "Red Deer Cave" people because scientists say these prehistoric people hunted extinct red deer and cooked them in the cave at Maludong, where four of the five partial skeletal fossils were found.

Whether the Red Deer Cave people are indeed a new species indicating a new evolutionary line or whether they are a very early population of modern humans remains a controversial topic of discussion among scientists.

The team of Australian and Chinese researchers remains cautiously optimistic when it comes to classifying what they have unearthed.

"The evidence is quite fairly balanced at the moment. It's weighted towards the idea that the Red Deer Cave people might represent a new population, possibly a new species," Curnoe said.

Details of the discovery are published in the scientific journal PLoS ONE.

Archeological evidence dates these prehistoric hunters and gatherers to 14,500 to 11,500 years ago, indicating that for a sliver of time in East Asia, the Red Deer Cave people may have shared the landscape with modern-looking people who displayed the beginnings of farming.

Despite Asia being the largest subcontinent, the fossil record for human evolution remains slim. The vast majority of prehistoric archeology has focused on Europe and Africa, scientists say.

"Understanding the fossil records of East Asia is the missing link to our overall understanding of human evolution," Curnoe said.

The Maludong site had actually been excavated the first time by the Chinese in 1989. At that time, several bags of fossils were found, but it was only in 2008 that the site was studied and the remains analyzed by Curnoe and his team of researchers.

The age of the cave sites was determined by collecting sediment samples and tested using radioactive carbon dating.

At the Longlin Cave, the remains of a lower jaw set in a bed of sediment were found by a geologist back in 1979 and rediscovered in a the basement laboratory of one of the Chinese researchers in 2009. The bones first had to be removed from the sediment rock. Then, using a CT Scan 3D, models of the skull were made, showing both the prominent primitive and modern features.

Due to the uncertainty surrounding the human fossil record, paleoanthropologists say, more conclusive DNA testing is required.

Initial DNA testing conducted on the fossils did not show evidence of human DNA, but Curnoe and his team will push forward.

"If we are successful in extracting DNA, it will give us a really accurate understanding of precisely who these people are and where they might fit in the human evolutionary tree," he said.

"We are trying to understand the common story. What unites us all? Where do we come from? In understanding our evolutionary past, this might help us understand where we are today and where we might be going," Curnoe added.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:50 am

:sigh: Two more gaps.

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:55 am

Shit. Didn't think about that. I'll be Gwod has worked his way into at least one of them. That bastid. :lay:

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:01 am

FBM wrote:Shit. Didn't think about that. I'll be Gwod has worked his way into at least one of them. That bastid. :lay:
Total vacuum, therefore God. :coffee:

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:02 am

Gawdzilla wrote:
FBM wrote:Shit. Didn't think about that. I'll be Gwod has worked his way into at least one of them. That bastid. :lay:
So that's why I can't get God out of my head. :lay:

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:04 am

FBM wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:
So that's why I can't get God out of my head. :lay:
God is a hoover.