Ancient mangrove forests discovered under reef

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:07 pm

February 17, 2005

Australian Institute of Marine Science (AIMS) researchers have opened a window into the past by exposing ancient mangrove forests entombed beneath the Great Barrier Reef.

AIMS biologist Dr Dan Alongi said the expedition was surveying the impact of nutrients on coastal inshore areas when scientists unearthed mangrove forests in old river channels they believe may snake for 30 kilometres to the edge of the continental shelf.

Scientists have long theorised that sea level rose very gradually over several thousand years, but these remnant mangrove forests tell another story.

While it was previously known that relic river beds exist beneath the Great Barrier Reef, formed 9000 years ago when the sea level was lower than the continental shelf, their significance was never studied.

"When we took the first samples it was difficult to believe… we stood amazed wondering what exactly we were dealing with. We thought it was cyclone debris, but it was far too deep to be a modern event," said Dr Alongi.

AIMS researchers cored 1-2 metres of sediment and found remnant mangrove 70 centimetres below the surface of the present seafloor.

These core samples of mud are an evolutionary time frame. The evidence will help to establish the state of the reef and nutrient sediment information as it existed prior to human activity.

Dr Alongi said the mangroves were incredibly well preserved; a fact most likely attributed to the antibiotic properties in the concentrated tannins. "The cores still have the characteristic smell of tannins, that’s why we thought they were young.

"Within the cores were intact root systems and parts of trees including twigs and branches that radiocarbon dating put between 8550 and 8740 years of age.

"There’s such an abrupt change in core composition from mud-like substance to intact mangrove branches…from the modern to the ancient, that it suggests a large climate change happened," said Dr Alongi.

"This sharp boundary between these ancient mangroves and the overlying modern mud can tell us something fundamental about how quickly the water rose over time."

Dr Alongi estimates that the shift in sea level occurred over a geologically short time-span, from a few centuries or even decades. Research with fellow AIMS scientists will help to paint a more accurate picture of this timeframe, and investigate the concentration of background radionuclides in the top layers of sediment. These measurements will help pinpoint the period over which the sea level rose.

Knowing how rapidly the seascape changed in the past helps us predict future changes with global warming," said Dr Alongi.

Media contacts

Ms Wendy Ellery, AIMS Media Liaison
Phone: 07 4753 4409
Email: w.ellery@aims.gov.au

Dan Alongi, RV Lady Basten
Phone: 0429 728 196
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

charlou
arseist

Re: Ancient mangrove forests discovered under reef

Post by charlou » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:26 am

It's interesting to read about new discoveries and subsequent speculation like this.
no fences

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:25 am

Charlou wrote:It's interesting to read about new discoveries and subsequent speculation like this.
That's why I post 'em. :tup:

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Post by FBM » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:01 pm

I wonder what was happening roughly 9,000 years ago to cause such a sudden rise in sea levels... :think:

Wait...When did Moses part the Red Sea???? That bastid!
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

AshtonBlack
Tech Monkey
Tech Monkey

Post by AshtonBlack » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:04 pm

I :gawd: Science.

10 Fuck Off
20 GOTO 10
Ashton Black wrote:"Dogma is the enemy, not religion, per se. Rationality, genuine empathy and intellectual integrity are anathema to dogma."

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:04 pm

FBM wrote:I wonder what was happening roughly 9,000 years ago to cause such a sudden rise in sea levels... :think:

The shortest route from Egypt to the Sinai is through Bondi? :food:

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Post by FBM » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:39 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
FBM wrote:I wonder what was happening roughly 9,000 years ago to cause such a sudden rise in sea levels... :think:

The shortest route from Egypt to the Sinai is through Bondi? :food:
Well, it wuz a meer-uh-kuhl, wud'nit?!!uno Sheesh! :dq:
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."