Commies on the moon!

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Commies on the moon!

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:23 pm

China's lunar probe lands on moon

BEIJING, China (CNN) -- China's first lunar probe landed on the moon in a controlled collision Sunday, marking the first phase of the nation's three-stage moon mission, the state-run Xinhua news agency reported.

The second stage involves sending a second probe to practice soft landings, the Xinhua news agency said.

The mission will culminate with the launch and landing of a rover on the moon to collect mineral samples in 2012.

The probe -- Chang'e-1, named after a legendary moon goddess -- launched into space 16 months ago on October 24, 2007.

China became only the third nation, after the United States and Russia, to send a manned spacecraft into orbit. It did so in October 2003.
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Don't Panic
Evil Admin
Evil Admin
About me: 100% Pure Evil. (Not from Concentrate)

Re: Commies on the moon!

Post by Don't Panic » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:45 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:China's lunar probe lands on moon

BEIJING, China (CNN) -- China's first lunar probe landed on the moon in a controlled collision Sunday, marking the first phase of the nation's three-stage moon mission, the state-run Xinhua news agency reported.

The second stage involves sending a second probe to practice soft landings, the Xinhua news agency said.

The mission will culminate with the launch and landing of a rover on the moon to collect mineral samples in 2012.

The probe -- Chang'e-1, named after a legendary moon goddess -- launched into space 16 months ago on October 24, 2007.

China became only the third nation, after the United States and Russia, to send a manned spacecraft into orbit. It did so in October 2003.
So China crashed a lump of metal into the moon?
Gawd wrote:»
And those Zumwalts are already useless, they can be taken out with an ICBM.
The world is a thing of utter inordinate complexity and richness and strangeness that is absolutely awesome. I mean the idea that such complexity can arise not only out of such simplicity, but probably absolutely out of nothing, is the most fabulous extraordinary idea. And once you get some kind of inkling of how that might have happened, it's just wonderful. And . . . the opportunity to spend 70 or 80 years of your life in such a universe is time well spent as far as I am concerned.
D.N.A.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:54 pm

Marvin wrote:

So China crashed a lump of metal into the moon?
Only about 200 meters per second, no big deal.

soul_biscuit
Atmospheric Anomaly

Post by soul_biscuit » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:18 am

This is all pretty cool. The more nations exploring space, the better, in my opinion.
I gave my students a little blurb to read about differet mythological notions of the moon, and Chang'e was in there. She's the "woman in the moon" to go with the western Man on the Moon.
"It is who is right, not what is right, that is of importance." - Thomas Huxley, updated for the Internet

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:22 am

soul_biscuit wrote:

This is all pretty cool. The more nations exploring space, the better, in my opinion.
I gave my students a little blurb to read about differet mythological notions of the moon, and Chang'e was in there. She's the "woman in the moon" to go with the western Man on the Moon.
And she was chasing a rabbit, yes?