How does evolution explain...

The Curious Squid
Lazy Spic Bastard
About me: a sexually deviant misogynist sexist pig who's into sex trafficking, sexual slavery, murder, bondage, rape and pre-frontal lobotomy of your victims.

How does evolution explain...

Post by The Curious Squid » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:32 pm

Walking around my post route this morning something prompted me to start thinking about being tickled. When I'm left with nothing but my own thoughts for company several hours a day at work I can quite often over think certain minor things and today was no exception. After thinking about how odd the sensation of being tickled is, I started to contemplate why we've evolved with this trait in the first place.

Darwin's theory of evolution tells us that natural selection favours traits that give their organism an advantage over others of it's kind or predators it may encounter. Sure, there are cases where a certain trait appears illogical and even decreases the chances of survival for a species but most of them (like the disposition of female Peacocks to select males with more impressive tail feathers) can be linked in to sexual selection and is explained as a way for animals to strive for "better" genes passed to their offspring.

The sensation of being tickled doesn't conform to either natural or sexual selection. In fact, it's a disability and possible danger for an animal to have a tickle reflex since when you get going it positively immobilises you on the spot and prevents you from fighting or fleeing which would suggest that animals without this reflex would have an advantage, however slight, over one that does have it. Obviously when a lioness is bounding after you it's not to have a quick tickle at your ribs but it would still be a disadvantage in some scenarios I'm sure.

We also don't select a mate dependant on whether or not they appreciate a good tickle and there's no way of telling if a person is ticklish just by looking at them so it clearly has nothing to do with sexual selection.

For me, this falls under the same kind of heading as why we appreciate music, in Daniel C. Dennett's book Breaking the Spell he suggests that we have evolved to lose ourselves in certain beats, rhythms and melodies as a way of coping with and easing stress and he argues that in our more primitive past religion possibly had the same effect and so it was of evolutionary benefit to us. Just like our appreciation of music (tried really hard to find a decent video of a parrot that's clearly moving to a beat but failed :( ), it's also not something that is exclusive to humanity

Could tickling have had the same benefit in our past or is it possibly something that we have developed more recently in our history with the onset of society and the relative saftey it provides us as a species meaning things that would have set us back, like being immobilised by touching certain parts of out skin, have more of a chance to develope since they don't pose enough of a threat to significantly decrease our chances of survival?

If the sensation only manifested itself when you get your feet tickled then I could understand this trait a bit more since looking at the way our brain works shows that the parts that deal with sensory perception of your feet are right beside those that register the perception of your genitals (represented by a Sensory Homunculus below) and so some sort of neural cross firing or synethsesia could be the cause of it. When you think about it, the feeling you get while being tickled isn't too dissimilar to the feeling you get when you orgasm all be it on a much smaller scale which is probably what made me think of the connection between sensory regions in the brain in the first place (coupled with the fact that feet are often the most suseptable to being tickled)

Wikipedia clases being tickled in two different ways:

knismesis (light tickling)
Wikipedia wrote:Knismesis refers to the light, feather-like type of tickling. This type of tickling generally does not induce laughter and is often accompanied by an itching sensation.[2] The knismesis phenomenon requires low levels of stimulation to sensitive parts of the body, and can be triggered by a light touch or by a light electrical current. Knismesis can also be triggered by crawling insects or parasites, prompting scratching or rubbing at the ticklish spot, thereby removing the pest. It is possible that this function explains why knismesis produces a similar response in many different kinds of animals.[2] In a famous example, described in Peter Benchley's Shark!, it is possible to tickle the area just under the snout of a great white shark, putting it into a near-hypnotic trance.[3]
and gargalesis (heavy tickling)
Wikipedia wrote:Gargalesis refers to harder, laughter-inducing tickling, and involves the repeated application of high pressure to sensitive areas.[2] This "heavy tickle" is often associated with play and laughter. The gargalesis type of tickle works on humans and primates, and possibly on other species.[4] Because the nerves involved in transmitting "light" touch and itch differ from those nerves that transmit "heavy" touch, pressure and vibration, it is possible that the difference in sensations produced by the two types of tickle are due to the relative proportion of itch sensation versus touch sensation.[5]

While it is possible to trigger a knismesis response in oneself, it is usually impossible to produce gargalesthesia, the gargalesis tickle response, in oneself.[2]

Hypergargalesthesia is the condition of extreme sensitivity to tickling. [6]
From those articles there's another possible evolutionary advantage to being lightly tickled, I.e, in order to tell that something possibly dangerous is maybe crawling on your skin, the itchy feeling that accompanies it could be a reflex action designed purely to get whatever is on you away from your body since your hand will brush the spot that itches instinctively.

Reading more from Wikipedia there is actually a bit about what Darwin apparently thought about the reaction:
Wikipedia wrote:Charles Darwin theorized on the link between tickling and social relations, arguing that tickling provokes laughter through the anticipation of pleasure.[9] If a stranger tickles a child without any preliminaries, catching the child by surprise, the likely result will be not laughter but withdrawal and displeasure. Darwin also noticed that for tickling to be effective, you must not know the precise point of stimulation in advance, and reasoned that this is why you cannot effectively tickle yourself.
A good point but I don't think it answers the effect as fully as it should,

If you want to read the full article then the link is HERE
We have no great war, no great depression.
Our great war is a spiritual war.
Our great depression is our lives.
JimC wrote:Ratz is just beautiful... :woot:

Where else could you go from the taste of raw egg to licking marmalade off tits in such a short space of time?
Pensioner wrote:I worked for 50 years and that's long enough for anyone, luckily I worked to live not lived for work.
Lozzer wrote:You ain't Scottish unless you live off Chicken nuggets, White Lightening and speak like an incomprehensible cow.

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Re: How does evolution explain...

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:44 pm

There doesn't always need to be a direct evolutionary advantage to a trait. Many traits are a result of other changes that do have an advantage. Perhaps ticklishness is a consequence of the increased sensitivity in the fingers that we humans possess - this clearly does have an advantage as we evolved to use tools and to grasp and manipulate objects.

I have also heard it suggested that ticklishness is greatest in those areas where there is no bone immediately below the skin in order to protect the organs beneath. An instinctive reaction to keep pointy objects away from the lower abdomen makes sense.
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:46 pm

It's probably a left over trait that had use at one time, but hasn't been selected out because it's not really critical.

Left over from what? Try tickling a cat on the stomach. (Wear welder's gauntlets.)
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

The Curious Squid
Lazy Spic Bastard
About me: a sexually deviant misogynist sexist pig who's into sex trafficking, sexual slavery, murder, bondage, rape and pre-frontal lobotomy of your victims.

Post by The Curious Squid » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:48 pm

The point about places where there's no bone being ticklier doesn't work though since feet and knees are two of the most tickly spots on your body!

I know it doesn't always have to have a direct advantage but that's partly why I made the post (other than the fact that I think the subject is interesting)

If someone can shed light on it then I'd be happy, if not then I hope other people find it as interesting as I do, sneazing is next on the list :lol: (I know it has a practical use but why the hell does it feel so good?)

Where else could you go from the taste of raw egg to licking marmalade off tits in such a short space of time?
Pensioner wrote:I worked for 50 years and that's long enough for anyone, luckily I worked to live not lived for work.
Lozzer wrote:You ain't Scottish unless you live off Chicken nuggets, White Lightening and speak like an incomprehensible cow.

The Curious Squid
Lazy Spic Bastard

Post by The Curious Squid » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:49 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:It's probably a left over trait that had use at one time, but hasn't been selected out because it's not really critical.

Left over from what? Try tickling a cat on the stomach. (Wear welder's gauntlets.)
Did you watch the video of the rats laughing?

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:52 pm

Paco wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:It's probably a left over trait that had use at one time, but hasn't been selected out because it's not really critical.

Yeah, but rats aren't predators. :dono: (Or did I miss your point?)

The Curious Squid
Lazy Spic Bastard

Post by The Curious Squid » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:56 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
Paco wrote:

Nope, seems I missed yours about the cats!

So you think it might be some kind of reflex like the way a venus fly trap catches it's prey?

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:06 pm

Paco wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:
Paco wrote:

Nope, seems I missed yours about the cats!

So you think it might be some kind of reflex like the way a venus fly trap catches it's prey?
If you scratch the belly of something that doesn't know you, you'll probably regret it, rats, cats, or bunnies. Protecting the soft bits is a basic reflex. If you look at fish, they have dorsal spine/fins in many cases, but seldom do we see belly spikes. I think the reflex grows out of that.

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:24 pm

Most large mammalian predators go for the belly or neck. Big cats, dogs, bears. Those are the most vulnerable areas and lead to the quickest kill - meaning less chance for the prey to escape and less energy expended - both advantages. It makes sense that prey animals have evolved to protect these parts. Bear in mind that our ancestors, as omnivores, fit into both camps, hunter and hunted, in fact so do many smaller predators - wolves and bears will quite happily eat foxes if they can catch them.

Another idea that I have just had relates to why tickling is so debilitating. It makes sense for the survival of the species if, once an individual has a predator's teeth in its belly, that creature immediately stops dead and is eaten, allowing any other predators in the area to be drawn to the easy pickings so that the rest of the herd can escape. Just an idea. Evolutionary advantages do not always favour the individual.
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
House MD
Sandy Denny
Paco
Calilasseia
Twoflower
Millefleur

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:27 pm

XC, most large predators go for the throat, IIRC.

Beelzebub2
Oiled Hunk

Post by Beelzebub2 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:28 pm

This is what can be found about the evolution of tickling on some other sites:
Tickle, an ancient laughter stimulus, is a means of communication between preverbal infants and mothers, and between friends, family and lovers. Because you cannot tickle yourself, tickle involves a neurological self/nonself discrimination, providing the most primitive social scenario.
Link

Link
Some say that the chuckle induced by a tickle is a reflex. Others argue that it is the result of close physical contact with another person, and thus "socially induced", an idea put forward by Charles Darwin in 1872. The inability to tickle oneself had been thought to support Darwin's theory. However, the new work shows tickle-induced laughter is indeed a reflex, one that can only work in social situations, say, when a friend is brushing a feather against the sole of your foot.

To survive, evolution has "taught" our brains to recognize danger in certain environmental signals, like loud noises or the sight of a spider. Because a "tickling" sensation could signify the presence of crawling bugs, your brain is programmed to respond.

Any change in what we sense from the environment is likely to catch our attention because it could signify the presence of predator or prey.

And why don't you respond when you try to tickle yourself? Because you are the source of the stimulus, the response is blocked. You anticipate the touch.

But how can someone else tickle you - even when you see that a finger, not a scorpion, is doing the trick? Because that's still an outside stimulus - when it is not threatening, most commonly it makes you laugh.

Eventually, we learn to inhibit the tickle response. As we get older, we respond less briskly than a child does to tickling. You are engaging an inhibitory mechanism, once you are tickled several times, you learn to anticipate the sensation; it is not new any more.
Link
Laughter (and humor) involves the gradual build-up of expectation (a model) followed by a sudden twist or anomaly that entails a change in the model — but only as long as the new model is non-threatening - so that there is a deflation of expectation. The loud explosive sound is produced, we suggest, to inform conspecifics that there has been a ‘false alarm’, to which they need not orient. The same logic may underlie tickling (menacing approach followed by a light non-threatening contact). Thus tickling may serve as ‘play’, a rehearsal for adult laughter. And lastly, when one primate encounters another, he may have always begun with a threat gesture — to bare his canines — but upon recognizing the individual as kin he may stop the grimace halfway and ‘smile’.

When the insular cortex is damaged, patients giggle in response to pain, presumably because they can still sense the pain ('danger') but the pain is no longer aversive (‘false alarm’), thereby fulfilling the two key requirements for laughter.
Link

Link

Link

Laughing rats...

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:35 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:XC, most large predators go for the throat, IIRC.
I said belly or neck (ie. throat.) It depends on the relative sizes of the beasties also - a hyena will run under an antelope and bite into its belly - a lion will take its neck. My aunt had a Staffordshire bull-terrier that had to be put down after killing two alsatians in the park by biting into their bellies and not letting go - just hated alsatians for some reason that dog - racist I guess. :dono:
Salman Rushdie
House MD
Sandy Denny
Paco
Calilasseia
Twoflower
Millefleur

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:48 pm

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
I said belly or neck (ie. throat.) It depends on the relative sizes of the beasties also - a hyena will run under an antelope and bite into its belly - a lion will take its neck. My aunt had a Staffordshire bull-terrier that had to be put down after killing two alsatians in the park by biting into their bellies and not letting go - just hated alsatians for some reason that dog - racist I guess. :dono:
I was about to mention the wild dogs of Africa as the exception to the throat attack. Otherwise I'm not familiar with a belly preference.

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:58 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
I was about to mention the wild dogs of Africa as the exception to the throat attack. Otherwise I'm not familiar with a belly preference.
Wolves against dear perhaps? I believe I have also seen it with Cheetahs and larger antelopes. Basically, if a predator can get his teeth into a soft bit of flesh, it will.
Salman Rushdie
House MD
Sandy Denny
Paco
Calilasseia
Twoflower
Millefleur

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:09 pm

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:Wolves against dear perhaps? I believe I have also seen it with Cheetahs and larger antelopes. Basically, if a predator can get his teeth into a soft bit of flesh, it will.
If they can't reach the throat, the belly would be next. It's just that a quick kill is a throat kill, and predators don't like to fight with their dinner when they can avoid it.