Technical question - Windows Movie Maker

War Arrow
Traitorous TAF Fifth Columnist
About me: gettin' ig'nant
Location: parked car outside your house with a dozen pork pies and a crate of brown ale

Technical question - Windows Movie Maker

Post by War Arrow » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:59 pm

Er... not sure where to put this...

If I were to hypothetically make a short film, then edit it with Windows Movie Maker - I notice that my options would only be to either save it as an avi at 150MB OR compress it to 8MB as a wmv, yet imagine a scenario where whoever I might be sending it to can open an avi but not a wmv to watch this imaginary film, were I to make it. And of course I wouldn't be able to attach an 150MB avi file to an email. Why the blummin' fuck can I... would I not be able to save it as a compressed 8MB or thereabouts avi?

If this is a stupid question, an answer with low sarcasm content would be very much appreciated.

Oh er... :whistle:

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Re: Technical question - Windows Movie Maker

Post by klr » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:04 pm

What are you shooting it with? A webcam or a something more heavy-duty. You can take reasonable quality movie clips with a lot of webcams, and the file size shouldn't be too bad.
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

War Arrow
Location: parked car outside your house with a dozen pork pies and a crate of brown ale

Post by War Arrow » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:20 pm

Yeah webcam. The problem is it being sendable via email and watchable at other end (so a wmv is out for some reason)... it just refuses to save an avi at a reasonable quota of MBs.

Or so I imagine. :leave:

klr

Post by klr » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:25 pm

War Arrow wrote:Yeah webcam. The problem is it being sendable via email and watchable at other end (so a wmv is out for some reason)... it just refuses to save an avi at a reasonable quota of MBs.

One important thing: If you use the likes of Yahoo Messenger, then you can transfer a file between PC's that way, bypassing email and all the restrictions that entails. I've done this myself. Of course, the other person will need to be online as you send it. There are other options beyond that, but I'm going through the readily available ones first.

What resolution (pixel width x height) do you want to use, and roughly how long might the movie be? It should be possible to record at about 4-5 MB per minute, depending on resolution and frame rate (ideally 30/frames sec, but 15 might be OK).
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

War Arrow

Post by War Arrow » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:32 pm

klr wrote:
War Arrow wrote:Yeah webcam. The problem is it being sendable via email and watchable at other end (so a wmv is out for some reason)... it just refuses to save an avi at a reasonable quota of MBs.

One important thing: If you use the likes of Yahoo Messenger, then you can transfer a file between PC's that way, bypassing email and all the restrictions that entails. I've done this myself. Of course, the other person will need to be online as you send it. There are other options beyond that, but I'm going through the readily available ones first.

What resolution (pixel width x height) do you want to use, and roughly how long might the movie be? It should be possible to record at about 4-5 MB per minute, depending on resolution and frame rate (ideally 30/frames sec, but 15 might be OK).
AHA! GENIUS! Yahoo Messenger is the one - hadn't even considered that. I'm not sure of the resolution (standard webcam basically - nothing amazing) but I'll see how I get on with YIM first. Thanks a lot! :cheers:

klr

Post by klr » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:33 pm

War Arrow wrote:
klr wrote:

AHA! GENIUS! Yahoo Messenger is the one - hadn't even considered that. I'm not sure of the resolution (standard webcam basically - nothing amazing) but I'll see how I get on with YIM first. Thanks a lot! :cheers:
Happy to oblige! :cheers:

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:48 am

Other options. Compress the finished file using Winzip. Send the file through a site such as http://www.yousendit.com/ where you have a 100MB limit on files and can send it to multiple people. Or do both.
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

AshtonBlack
Tech Monkey
Tech Monkey

Post by AshtonBlack » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:59 am

... and of course you could always encode using divx or xvid codecs as they both compress nicely and see how big your file is.

You'll need a third party prog to do this, however.

10 Fuck Off
20 GOTO 10
Ashton Black wrote:"Dogma is the enemy, not religion, per se. Rationality, genuine empathy and intellectual integrity are anathema to dogma."