Mental illness

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Re: Mental illness

Post by Cunt » Thu May 20, 2010 4:30 am

A lot to digest, thanks.

I will be back, but for now I have guests from out of town and have to get them out on the lake, to poke at the edge of the ice.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

floppit
Forum Mebmer

Post by floppit » Thu May 20, 2010 8:11 am

This post isn't intended as evidence, a single perspective can never really be that. What I hope it might achieve is a moment of thought to what the costs can be without even the very basic pharmocological we have at our disposal. I would never be caught arguing that science has in any way 'got there' in regard to the human mind, or how that mind, like any other organ can become ill. But, I think there is a need for caution in forming and sharing opinions in a black and white sense, one of total rejection of psychiatric research versus total acceptance.

I have a family member who gets on with life really well on a relatively high dose of AD's. He has a part in the real world that's valued, he has a future, he smiles, he does things he wants to do, does brilliantly at work and is very well liked. Off AD's it's been a different story to date, a slow but steady and relentless loss of most of the above. Through it all he'll be quite cheery most of the time, have plans how he'll get himself back on track, why he doesn't need any help, but the reality watched is someone who stops washing, stops going out, stops functioning at work, and eventually stops eating to the point he gets cramps and last time around was put on laxatives to keep his bowels working. His plans to sort himself out get more odd, cost more financially and emotionally and fail repeatedly until the cheeriness dwindles and he wishes he was dead (although never said he'd take his life or tried). The ideas to sort himself out are often horrible, shaming himself, at one point hitting a wall, buying things to make tomorrow better but they don't, being suspicious those who love him are stopping him because shit they are, living homeless for a while, and sleeping, more and more sleeping - oh, and booze which fuels more 'good' ideas. On ADs he's pretty much fine so eventually a new doctor, or even an old one at his bequest will take him off again - and it will happen again, perhaps not certainly but it feels certain. Sometimes it happens slowly and then I'll be the first to hope and even believe it isn't coming but it does - fucking relentlessly. Thankfully, as years have gone by the process gets stopped alot sooner but to date nothing except pills has worked in doing so.

As someone who cares about reasoning it matters to me a great deal whether ADs are only placebos, I don't want what I've seen to change all the ongoing research and the much needed critiques but as a person I couldn't give a shit whether it's only placebo effect, the effect, wherever it comes from makes such a profound difference. I don't think that to date research has enough of a clear consensus to argue whether there exists a real therapeutic effect or not beyond what people believe will happen.

Where my predilection for science meets my personal perspective is that this is a baby science, it's so recent that we've had even the most basic tools to even see the living brain, it's encased in bone and utterly precious - it will take time and mistakes to learn. If the process of that learning is argued against on the basis of the presence of error we cannot reach a greater understanding - all we'll be left with is to rant and live with it, for me personally that would be a desperately sad outcome.
"Whatever it is, it spits and it goes 'WAAARGHHHHHHHH' - that's probably enough to suggest you shouldn't argue with it." Mousy.

TumblingPear

Post by TumblingPear » Fri May 21, 2010 8:29 pm

You describe a tragic situation, that has to be painful to your ill family member and horrible for those who care about him. It seems that for him, medication is live-saving and more. The doctors who fail to take into account his life history, on and off the medication, seem to be substituting their own concept of what depression should look like for your loved one's actual illness, assuming that his need for medication isn't permanent. Shame on them for not really getting to know the patient. How very sad that your family member could be living a productive life, free of eventual pits of devolution and their inherent horrors. I hope he is currently well and that he continues to do better.

I was wondering...Might something in the health system have failed him such that he doesn't have a doctor who knows what works/doesn't work for him and can see him through for the duration? No judgment implied.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:56 pm

I was wondering about the differences a dozen years would make to this subject. Unexpectedly, I noticed how many people aren't here anymore. :(

Hope they are all well.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

rainbow wrote:
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well
About me: Move along. Nothing to see here.

Post by rasetsu » Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:51 pm

I've been well the past few years. After 40 years of depression and psychotic delusions, it was an unexpected change. Having just gone through a week of depression that likely was situational, I'm surprised at how easily it catches me off-guard now that I've had to recalibrate my sensors. And surprised at how much it does mess me up when it happens.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:23 pm

Well I'm like Orpheus from earlier in the thread. A bipolar diagnosis and subsequent drug regime probably saved my life. There's no doubt in my mind the drugs are the difference. But the reality is that psychiatry is a bit of a crank "science". Too many unknowns and progress is usually made via trial and error. I tried probably 7 or 8 different drugs before I hit on the right ones.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

aufbahrung

Post by aufbahrung » Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:38 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:23 pm
Well I'm like Orpheus from earlier in the thread. A bipolar diagnosis and subsequent drug regime probably saved my life. There's no doubt in my mind the drugs are the difference. But the reality is that psychiatry is a bit of a crank "science". Too many unknowns and progress is usually made via trial and error. I tried probably 7 or 8 different drugs before I hit on the right ones.
I take lithium. When I stop don't notice any difference myself, but everyone else does. It was discovered by accident - no science involved. Still take the lithium and maybe one day they'll dice my brain and figure it all out but not today.
WeAreAStableCountry

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:59 pm

I'm depressed to the max. and though I do take meds for it, the only notable effect is that my tummy keeps growing
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

tattuchu
a dickload of cocks
About me: I'm having trouble with the trolley.

Post by tattuchu » Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:52 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:59 pm
I'm depressed to the max. and though I do take meds for it, the only notable effect is that my tummy keeps growing
I just got a prescription for Wellbutrin today and, as I mentioned before, one of the side effects is weight loss, amazingly enough. Not sure if this med is available over there (or what it would be called). We'll see what it does for me. (Right now, I'm just existing and little else.)
People think "queue" is just "q" followed by 4 silent letters.

But those letters are not silent.

They're just waiting their turn.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:05 pm

tattuchu wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:52 pm
Svartalf wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:59 pm
I just got a prescription for Wellbutrin today and, as I mentioned before, one of the side effects is weight loss, amazingly enough. Not sure if this med is available over there (or what it would be called). We'll see what it does for me. (Right now, I'm just existing and little else.)
I hope you find the highest quality foods, if you start cutting weight. I went with measuring and counting, but there are lots of ways to improve our self-feeding. Being on a cut, I tend to focus more on quality of food. Being on a bulk, I relax my choices a lot more.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well
About me: Move along. Nothing to see here.

Post by rasetsu » Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:50 pm

The only thing I remember about Wellbutrin is that I didn't like it. I don't remember why.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:50 pm

I just drink and smoke weed.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:39 am

I just drink...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:42 am

It used to be "drink, smoke weed, drop acid".

Age comes to us all, grasshopper.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:24 am

I gave up regular drinking a few years ago. Best thing I ever did. And haven't smoked weed for probably 10 years or so.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.