For the Rock Record: Geologists on Intelligent Design

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

For the Rock Record: Geologists on Intelligent Design

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:29 am

This book is due to be released April 6, 2009:

For the Rock Record: Geologists on Intelligent Design(Hardcover)
by Jill S. Schneiderman (Editor), Warren D. Allmon (Editor)

Product Description
According to the idea of intelligent design, nature's complexity is the result of deliberate planning by a supernatural creative force. To date, most scientific arguments against this form of creationism have been made by evolutionary biologists. In this volume, a team of earth scientists reveals that the flaws of intelligent design are not limited to the biological sciences. Indeed, the geological sciences offer some of the best refutation of intelligent design arguements. For the Rock Record is dedicated to the proposition that the idea of intelligent design should be of serious concern to everyone. Editors Jill S. Schneiderman and Warren D. Allmon have gathered leading figures from the geological community with a wide range of viewpoints that go to the heart of the debate over what is and is not science. The purveyors of intelligent design theories and its kindred philosophies threaten the scientific literacy that our society needs by confusing faith and the practice of science. This collection offers a much-needed response.

From the Inside Flap
"Creationism began with the fossil record and there it shall end. Before Darwin, the geological strata with their accompanying fossils formed the first geological theory of life on earth--creationism coupled to flood geology. It was Darwin who stood that theory on its head and showed that, in fact, these same fossils could be used to support his new theory of evolution by natural selection. Ever since Darwin, geology has unequivocally supported evolution and not creationism, and yet today Intelligent Design thrives in popular culture. Here at last we have a definitive collection of world-class geologists and paleontologists who systematically demonstrate precisely why geology destroys all design arguments, and reveals instead a deep and rich history of life on earth. A perfect companion to all science courses."--Michael Shermer, publisher of Skeptic magazine and author of Why Darwin Matters.

"An excellent contribution on a vital issue which concerns not only geologists, but all who value any science."--Mark Isaak, author of The Counter-Creationism Handbook

About the Author
Jill S. Schneiderman is Professor of Earth Science at Vassar College. Warren D. Allmon is Director of the Paleontological Research Institution in Ithaca, New York, and Hunter R. Rawlings III Professor of Paleontology in the Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences at Cornell University.
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Thinking Aloud
Page Bottomer

Re: For the Rock Record: Geologists on Intelligent Design

Post by Thinking Aloud » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:34 am

Hurrah! (Speaking as a Geologist too.)

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:39 am

So far the "hard" sciences have disdained to argue with the IDiots. I think this is the wrong tactic. Answering their assertions has two benefits. People will learn that science really can answer the IDiots challenges. And the debunking of their claims forces them to think up newer, and ever more complex and ridiculous theories.

I would also suggest that a "Devolution of the theory of Intelligent Design" would be an interesting read. Show how the IDiots have a constantly shifting target, and no fixed ideas other than GODDIDIT.

Thinking Aloud
Page Bottomer

Post by Thinking Aloud » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:42 am

Gawdzilla wrote:Show how the IDiots have a constantly shifting target, and no fixed ideas other than GODDIDIT.
Or how their "theory" is "evolving" in order to survive...?

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:45 am

Thinking Aloud wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:Show how the IDiots have a constantly shifting target, and no fixed ideas other than GODDIDIT.
Devolving in the face of environmental pressure. :mrgreen:

Thinking Aloud
Page Bottomer

Post by Thinking Aloud » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:03 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
Thinking Aloud wrote:
Yes, you're quite right. It certainly isn't getting more suited, is it?

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:06 pm

Thinking Aloud wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:
Thinking Aloud wrote:
Yes, you're quite right. It certainly isn't getting more suited, is it?
They are forced constantly to find more "evidence", and that evidence gets more absurd as time goes on. Fifty years from now who knows what they'll be spouting.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:16 pm

How many times do these people have to get a foot in their ass?
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:22 pm

Animavore wrote:Image

How many times do these people have to get a foot in their ass?
I always look at the "tracts" they put out (in whatever form) from the perspective of "this is intended to glorify their god". They don't care about the science, they don't care about honesty, integrity or coherence. They simply want to pave the road to heaven for themselves. If we peel the cloak of "rational science" from their propaganda people will see the same old god-shouters.