Venture Bros - rules & peanut gallery

Mafia Forum is visible to guests. Please note that game threads are limited to posts by players who are involved in each game. Non-player or derail posts will be moved to a gallery thread.

Moderator: Mafia Mods

Linus

Venture Bros - rules & peanut gallery

Post by Linus » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:50 pm

Players:

1 charlou
2 MattShizzle
3 Zigmen
4 andrewclunn
5 Azathoth
6 Gonzo
7 Feck
8 MZ
9 UT
10 Amok
11 Don't Panic
12 irretating
13 Mantisdreamz
14 gib

Rules

Standard rules and common sense, basically. Don't edit any posts, don't discuss the game outside the game thread unless your role PM says otherwise, yada yada.

Game days last 24 hours, game nights 12 hours. Daybreaks and nightfalls happen around 10 pm/am GMT.

The deadline for submitting night actions is 1 hour before daybreak. It's OK to submit night actions in advance, as long as it is clear what is intended. For exmaple, if the night action involves targeting a single player, a specification along the lines of "I want to target the first player on this list is still alive and not previously targeted: 1. ..., 2. ..." is fine.

Flavor, randomization, role assignment

Short version: Proper randomization (trust me).

Characters for town players have been selected randomly from this list:

Catclops, Dean, Pete White, Dr. Rusty Venture, Triana Orpheus, Jefferson Twilight, Brock Samson, Otto Aquarius, H.E.L.P.eR., Otaku Senzuri, Sasquatch, Hank, The Alchemist, Lt. Anna Baldavich, Action Johnny, Scamp, Steve Summers, Dean, Billy Quizboy, Ned, The Pirate Captain, The Master, Molotov Cocktease, Girl Hitler, Dr. Byron Orpheus, Dean, Hank, Col. Bud Manstrong, Col. Hunter Gathers, Hank, The Grand Galactic Inquisitor, Dr. Jonas Venture (Jr.), Sally Impossible, Col. Horace Gentleman

All the remaining ones have been distributed to non-town players as safe claims. I've made vanilla town PMs for all of these characters, and the ones that were not selected were sent along with the safe name claims to non-town players. The matching between any special roles and town characters, as well as the flavor behind any special abilities, may be more or less natural depending on the outcome of the randomization.

A list of all town characters (and status as vanilla or some special) + all non-town characters & roles was then made, and randomly matched to the list of players by generating a random permutation. No randomizations were "rerolled", nor was there any possible outcome that would've lead to a reroll.

Something about role PMs

Role PMs were sent out one by one according to the order in the sign-up list, so time stamps are uninformative. The ambition is that even a mass out involving all town players quoting their role PMs shouldn't break the game, but I'd appreciate if you didn't try test whether or not I've thought of everything. Just in case, a player quoting directly from the role PM will result in non-town players getting an optional day-kill to use on that player. Normal paraphrasing is OK.

Here's an example of what a vanilla town role PM might look like:
Otto Aquarius - town - vanilla

Former citizen of Atlantis who has converted to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Here's an example of what a town special role PM might look like:
Otto Aquarius - town - watcher

Former citizen of Atlantis who has converted to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Each night Otto may make a home visit to someone in order to increase his number of missionary hours. In doing so, he learns if that player is at home (i.e. didn't use any night action) that night.
Here's another example of what a town special role PM might look like:
Otto Aquarius - town - bus driver

Each night Otto may make home visits to two persons in order to increase his number of missionary hours. God knows how and why, but this somehow results in confusion for others who direct night actions against those two persons. In Mafia terms: standard bus driver.
Voting

Use the vote tags for lynch and mayor votes if you want to be sure your vote is counted.

I'll do my best and I'm generally rather accurate with vote counts. In the event that I nonetheless make a mistake and declare the wrong person lynched, that is to be considered a random factor that's part of the game and no attempt will be made to compensate for the error after the fact.

Linus

Re: Venture Bros - rules & peanut gallery

Post by Linus » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:51 pm

Role PMs have gone out. Let me know if there are any problems.

irretating
not too sweet to sledge

Post by irretating » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:21 pm

:pop:

I shoulda got Sally Impossible ;ob;

Callan
Invincible

Post by Callan » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:29 pm

irretating wrote::pop:

Must...not....comment....

PsychoSerenity
"I" Self-Perceive Recursively

Post by PsychoSerenity » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:35 pm

I'm gonna watch this and see if I can understand anything...

[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]

irretating
not too sweet to sledge

Post by irretating » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:37 pm

Callan wrote:

A no comment is a comment :what:

Callan
Invincible

Post by Callan » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:38 pm

irretating wrote:
Callan wrote:

A no comment is a comment :what:
:ddpan:

irretating
not too sweet to sledge

Post by irretating » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:45 pm

Psychoserenity wrote:I'm gonna watch this and see if I can understand anything...

Well if you just know that DP is always scum and feck is always evil regardless of being scum and that applies pretty much to Aza too, that might help. :oj:

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:47 pm

Psychoserenity wrote:I'm gonna watch this and see if I can understand anything...

Linus, will it be okay if I offer to talk privately (via PM or writeboard) with Psychoserenity about game mechanics during the game?
no fences

Linus

Post by Linus » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:53 am

charlou wrote:

Linus, will it be okay if I offer to talk privately (via PM or writeboard) with Psychoserenity about game mechanics during the game?
It's OK.

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:00 am

Thanks.

Psychoserenity, feel free to PM me, if you have any questions or thoughts during the game.
no fences

PsychoSerenity
"I" Self-Perceive Recursively

Post by PsychoSerenity » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:09 pm

OK thanks :tup:

First of all though, is there a thread or explanation of the general rules you're using here? I looked on wiki but I'm not sure most of that relates.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]

gib
stone soup vendor

Post by gib » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:37 pm

Psychoserenity wrote:OK thanks :tup:

First of all though, is there a thread or explanation of the general rules you're using here? I looked on wiki but I'm not sure most of that relates.
try this http://talkrational.org/showthread.php?t=8703

and this is good too http://mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Callan
Invincible

Post by Callan » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:44 pm

Psychoserenity wrote:OK thanks :tup:

Rules. :funny:
I can't imagine why a nice boy like you wants to get into this quagmire, dear heart.
:think:

Anyhoo...

Basically, it's good vs.evil, as most titanic struggles generally are.
The good team are Town, the evil team are the Scum.
In a very basic vanilla game (such as DP keeps promising - DO NOT BELIEVE DP EVER - if he tells you the sky is blue and the grass is green, go over to the window and check for yourself), Scum will be a small team compared to town - maybe 3 or 4, depending on how many players there are in the game.
Scum may PM each other, and will have a writeboard on which to plot their evil. Town can only communicate on the public thread.
Scum may kill a Town player every game night. They may have other fancy powers too.
Every game day, one player is lynched by general vote. Town hope this player will be scum, while scum will try to hide themselves and get a Townie lynched instead.
Some Townies may also have fancy powers that their owners can use during the game night - the Doc/Bodyguard can protect one player from night actions, the Blocker can stop another player performing any night actions, the Vigilante can kill at night etc etc. These players are known as Specials, and they will be trying hard not to come to the attention of the Scum team - AND to survive as long as they can - AND to make the right choices for their team. No pressure, then.
There may also be Indies - players on neither side, with their own win conditions.

Feck

Post by Feck » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:52 pm

And at half time Granny brings out a plate of orange wedges .
:hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog:
Give me the wine , I don't need the bread