Venture Bros - rules & peanut gallery

Mafia Forum is visible to guests. Please note that game threads are limited to posts by players who are involved in each game. Non-player or derail posts will be moved to a gallery thread.

Moderator: Mafia Mods

MattShizzle

Re: Venture Bros - rules & peanut gallery

Post by MattShizzle » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:41 am

BTW if it isn't already, scum seer or flavor cop should be considered a "Bastard GM" role.

Magicziggy

Post by Magicziggy » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:45 am

MattShizzle wrote:
Magicziggy wrote:Not every game is a perfect balance.
I had a blast.
That's kind of like saying about a hydrogen bomb "not every explosion is one you can hold in your fingers without injury."
The day I stopped worrying about the result, or making mistakes, I started enjoying mafia much much more.
The GMs are allowed to make mistakes. And game balance will vary.

I think Linus did fine and will learn something for next time.
(One day I would like to GM. I don't expect it to be perfect)

amok
About me: Bearer of bad news.

Post by amok » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:10 am

Magicziggy wrote:
MattShizzle wrote:
I had a blast.
That's kind of like saying about a hydrogen bomb "not every explosion is one you can hold in your fingers without injury."
The day I stopped worrying about the result, or making mistakes, I started enjoying mafia much much more.

I'm going to try to be like that. I really like Mafia, but I found myself feeling bad about bad outcomes. I'm going to try to be more sensible about it.
It may be true that the law cannot make a man love me, but it can keep him from lynching me, and I think that's pretty important.
- Martin Luther King Jr.

gib
stone soup vendor

Post by gib » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:08 pm

Magicziggy wrote:
MattShizzle wrote:
I had a blast.

yeh

Linus, thanks for the game!

Linus

Post by Linus » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:19 pm

Azathoth wrote:There is absolutely nothing that can be done against an uncontested seer that is also scum. Town lost as soon as DP outed. A SK might have balanced him and town needed at least one more full special
I thought 2 NKs/night in a 14 player game would be too much and I also thought it would be too much if 3 town players had role claims. A thread at 2+2 recommends: 9 vanilla + 1 seer (with night 0 view, probably a randomized town view target) vs. 3 vanilla scum for a total of 13 players. There are no balance guidelines for an even number of players, but at least in a highly simplified random-lynch model it is always better for scum with 2n players (even number) than 2n-1 players (odd number). So it was probably more in favor of scum than the 2+2 recommendation and the reason for that was that I thought it sucked for scum that even their best case scenario required 4 mislynches.

Azathoth
blind idiot god
blind idiot god

Post by Azathoth » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:21 pm

50% VT 25% town specials and 25% scum is a good rule of thumb for balance
Outside the ordered universe is that amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity—the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Code: Select all

// Replaces with spaces the braces in cases where braces in places cause stasis 
   $str = str_replace(array("\{","\}")," ",$str);

Linus

Post by Linus » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:28 pm

Magicziggy wrote:I think Linus did fine and will learn something for next time.
Thanks. I learned quite many things and I think the next game I GM will have an publicly known composition, maybe to be announced already in the sign-up thread or at least when I know the total number of players.

Linus

Post by Linus » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:39 pm

Azathoth wrote:50% VT 25% town specials and 25% scum is a good rule of thumb for balance
With that composition, you are indifferent to which team you end up on? If I could choose side in a game with that composition, I would without any hesitation prefer to play for the town side.

Linus

Post by Linus » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:44 pm

BTW, could someone take away my mod powers until the next time I GM. The edit and quote buttons are dangerously close...

Azathoth
blind idiot god
blind idiot god

Post by Azathoth » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:56 pm

Linus wrote:
Azathoth wrote:50% VT 25% town specials and 25% scum is a good rule of thumb for balance
With that composition, you are indifferent to which team you end up on? If I could choose side in a game with that composition, I would without any hesitation prefer to play for the town side.
You would be wrong. It balances fine with the right mix of specials
Outside the ordered universe is that amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity—the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Code: Select all

// Replaces with spaces the braces in cases where braces in places cause stasis 
   $str = str_replace(array("\{","\}")," ",$str);

Gonzo
For Sheriff

Post by Gonzo » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:12 pm

I think this game was too small to add to me mafia history... it has nothing to do with the five game losing streak.
Don't go near that elevator - that's just what they want us to do... trap us in a steel box and take us down to the basement.