MGS3: Snake Eater Mafia - Tactical Espionage Action (GAME)

Mafia Forum is visible to guests. Please note that game threads are limited to posts by players who are involved in each game. Non-player or derail posts will be moved to a gallery thread.

Moderator: Mafia Mods

gib
stone soup vendor

Re: MGS3: Snake Eater Mafia - Post Game

Post by gib » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:47 am

the night i died?

gib
stone soup vendor

Post by gib » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:47 am

i tried to, yes

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:48 am

gib wrote:charlou how about another saucy avatar?
mmmmhhh ... perhaps something spicy ...
Trigger Warning!!!1! :
.. and innuendo laden ...

no fences

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:49 am

amok wrote:Hm. OK. I consider delving into the flavour as one aspect of sleuthing, but maybe I'll try playing a few games without doing so. I had never heard of Metal Gear before playing this game, either, by the way. I'm glad I read about it though, if for no other reason that I love the idea of the guy running around in a cardboard box.
re flavour sleuthing ... I'm all for it, actually. I think if scum (or town for that matter) bring flavour clues into the game (example, Zigmen mentioning, then elaborating on his "device") then they invite such research/investigation. If scum (or town specials) don't want to be uncovered via flavour sleuthing, they must be careful about the clues they bring into the game.

I think I mentioned, your avatar is :mrgreen:
no fences

gib
stone soup vendor

Post by gib » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:55 am

charlou wrote:flavour sleuthing
everything in moderation i guess

but tbh i can't be arsed to learn about a movie i'm never likely to watch or w/e

i'd rather spend my limited time rereading after each flip

amok
About me: Bearer of bad news.

Post by amok » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:22 am

charlou wrote:
amok wrote:Hm. OK. I consider delving into the flavour as one aspect of sleuthing, but maybe I'll try playing a few games without doing so. I had never heard of Metal Gear before playing this game, either, by the way. I'm glad I read about it though, if for no other reason that I love the idea of the guy running around in a cardboard box.
re flavour sleuthing ... I'm all for it, actually. I think if scum (or town for that matter) bring flavour clues into the game (example, Zigmen mentioning, then elaborating on his "device") then they invite such research/investigation. If scum (or town specials) don't want to be uncovered via flavour sleuthing, they must be careful about the clues they bring into the game.

Thanks, Charlou. That makes me feel a bit better.

I've got to admit I went from finally being satisfied (for the most part) about the way I played a game to - well, not so much. I get the impression some people think the way I play is sort of low-level, or even worse, somehow not quite playing fair. When I started playing here I even had to ask what "flavour" meant, and since then most of the games have been based on distinct storylines. I assumed researching the plots for clues was part of the game, along with all the in-game stuff.
It may be true that the law cannot make a man love me, but it can keep him from lynching me, and I think that's pretty important.
- Martin Luther King Jr.

irretating
not too sweet to sledge

Post by irretating » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:26 am

No way, amok, you bring a great something to mafia here!

I'm pretty sure any comments about having to know flavour to work out the game not being real mafia, is more a comment about how much GM builds flavour into the game design.

Gonzo
For Sheriff

Post by Gonzo » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:49 am

Yeah, amok. You're delusional if you think that. You were one of the best town players in this game. You did everything like a pro. Same with games previous to this, you are getting even better as time marches on.
Don't go near that elevator - that's just what they want us to do... trap us in a steel box and take us down to the basement.

Uselesstwit

Post by Uselesstwit » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:53 am

amok wrote:
charlou wrote:

Thanks, Charlou. That makes me feel a bit better.

I've got to admit I went from finally being satisfied (for the most part) about the way I played a game to - well, not so much. I get the impression some people think the way I play is sort of low-level, or even worse, somehow not quite playing fair. When I started playing here I even had to ask what "flavour" meant, and since then most of the games have been based on distinct storylines. I assumed researching the plots for clues was part of the game, along with all the in-game stuff.
no amok, you had a brilliant game. You completely dominated this game for town, it was extremely well done. Just as a personal preference I like game designs not to be so heavy that scum aren't given any room to maneuver. Zigmen's ploy was clever, convincing and really could have worked. I like players being able to pull moves like that. It just seems kind of unfair for the flavour to be so heavy his ploy got shot down because of it instead of our cleverness.
irretating wrote:you're a genius, UT!

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:17 am

For the record, I was never convinced by zigmen's ploy. I was suspicious of him from his first post in the game (despite not checking back on my character details until later in the game), and that didn't change. When he returned, his lies were more obvious than ever. amok's research clinched it. He was amiable throughout though. Good stuff.

MZ I had more difficulty with, so well played that, man. Once I knew he wasn't a special, it was more obvious he was probably scum.

gib, I was uncertain about .. he was playing townish, but something seemed ... more reserved than the usual town gib, I think .. That was consistent with his odd role.

amok ... once I got to grips with her methodical style and associated that as a style that is pretty much uniquely amok, and that we have seen before, I could relax and trust her claim.

Contra was actively protown and useful.

Feck was clearly town Feck ... as VT seemed to be a bit lost. He really does excel as scum or indie.

Matt's game was protown. He made some good contributions.

b.tern ... I should have seen that one coming ... On reflection her gameplay here was similar to the time she played indie before ... kinda smoothly blending, posting but not really adding anything of substance.

Aden's only day in the game was a spot on snaring of scum. I was skeptical until I saw b.tern's card flip.

Az .. he played a game kinda reminiscent of town Az, of the style that UT described well (and MZ did not ;) ) ... but maybe overplayed it, because it just drew attention to him in the end.

Andrew, confident first ratz game, and well played.

charlou and irre, charlou and UT, clashed in the game. Happy to move on now it's over. :grouphug:

Gonzo, again you prove to be a creative and skilled GM. :td:
Last edited by charlou* on Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
no fences

oblivion
Noble Savage

Post by oblivion » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:19 am

Agree, you played a great game, amok.

During a game, players use everything they can to help their team win. It's up to the GM to make sure that one team doesn't have an overwhelming advantage due to flavor, balance, etc., and that can be extremely tricky in games with high flavor.

I thought this game design was convoluted, and that helped scum out some. but town played a smart, thoughtful and intuitive game.

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:08 am

I knew I'd left someone out ... DP ... DP, what can I say? I think you, like Feck, relish a role with some grit? Scum or indie or special? VT has a certain edginess of its own ... actually, I think you're onto that ... you were willing to take the lynch to protect a special. That is good town play, and had you actually been lynched instead of the no lynch, you'd have gotten kudos for it. :td:
no fences

Don't Panic
Evil Admin
Evil Admin
About me: 100% Pure Evil. (Not from Concentrate)

MGS3: Snake Eater Mafia - Post Game

Post by Don't Panic » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:06 am

charlou wrote:I knew I'd left someone out ... DP ... DP, what can I say? I think you, like Feck, relish a role with some grit? Scum or indie or special? VT has a certain edginess of its own ... actually, I think you're onto that ... you were willing to take the lynch to protect a special. That is good town play, and had you actually been lynched instead of the no lynch, you'd have gotten kudos for it. :td:
I'm having a lot of fun with vt now that I'm finally get a run of roles, it's wonderfully pressure free, and you can go out on a limb without hurting town too much if you're wrong, well I can since I'm a fringe player, I was wrong about you though, glad you were town, you helped win it for us. Would have to say seer is still my favourite role though. That sweet moment on day 3-4 when you out with scum views makes all the "oh god don't let me die" worth it.

Great game gonzo. :tup:
Gawd wrote:»
And those Zumwalts are already useless, they can be taken out with an ICBM.
The world is a thing of utter inordinate complexity and richness and strangeness that is absolutely awesome. I mean the idea that such complexity can arise not only out of such simplicity, but probably absolutely out of nothing, is the most fabulous extraordinary idea. And once you get some kind of inkling of how that might have happened, it's just wonderful. And . . . the opportunity to spend 70 or 80 years of your life in such a universe is time well spent as far as I am concerned.
D.N.A.

oblivion
Noble Savage

Post by oblivion » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:14 pm

vanilla town is my favorite role. I think my second favorite is any sort of town compatible indie role. 3rd favorite is vig.

amok
About me: Bearer of bad news.

Post by amok » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:39 pm

OK, thanks everyone for explaining and beg pardon. I got the wrong end of the stick about the flavour posts. It makes sense and I see the points.

I remembered something from early in the game that I wanted to comment on. Sometime on Day 2 Irre wrote:
My thoughts (pre going over the rereading the game threads):

feck is not scum - he would never be so stupid as to sandbag on a lynch at the last minute.

dp is not scum - this is his town game, where he risks being lynched by merely opening his mouth.

^ I'm willing to put my mafia cred on the line about those two.
I was so impressed that I wanted to mention it, but to find the quote I had to do a name-post search. And now I'm even more impressed. Irre also had Zigmen, Aza and MZ on her Scum radar almost from the get go. She was only really wrong about b.tern. I was sort of dismissing the "meta" thing in an earlier game - because I can't do it, I suppose - but that's really interesting. Wish I knew how you guys do that.
It may be true that the law cannot make a man love me, but it can keep him from lynching me, and I think that's pretty important.
- Martin Luther King Jr.