MLP Game Thread

Mafia Forum is visible to guests. Please note that game threads are limited to posts by players who are involved in each game. Non-player or derail posts will be moved to a gallery thread.

Moderator: Mafia Mods

charlou
arseist

Re: My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic: Day 4

Post by charlou » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:25 am

oblivion wrote:
charlou wrote:
Uselesstwit wrote:i can agree with that. i'm not fond of out of game info being used. I got myself lynched my first game at tr because a teammate got a scum lynched by profile watching and catching them sending a kill order to the gm. It's why i felt forced to tell aza about the pm sent to me by mistake. I like winning, but not by unfair methods. It is kind of funny that aza is so hard on callan after the cardflip error. It's like people mess up sometimes.
On the profile watching thing ... it's come up often enough to be raised as a separate issue of concern, I think.

DP and I had a small exchange about it after a previous game ... I suggested moving the mafia subforum to an area of rationalia where players (and others, incidentally) can view it without even being logged in, so that not only can players be hidden from non staff, but from staff as well. That's not an accusation of ill-will or cheating or whatever towards staff players, just a pragmatic suggestion. When I was on staff I could see hidden users, and while I did my best not to use that to my (and my team if I was scum) advantage, it was impossible for my personal position to be affected by it at times. For example, if it comes up in the game that a player's not been online or viewing the topic because they've been too busy irl, yet I could see that wasn't the case ... I'd not bring it up in the game, but I would still know they were there all along. It's impossible to ignore.
How best to promote this question? I mean we can talk about it amongst ourselves in this forum that apparently a lot of non-mafia players have on ignore, but is that going to cause anything to happen? I doubt it.
Needs more discussion with DP (as he's an admin), I think. My suggestion would be to move the mafia subforum to the Entertainment area ... it would then be viewable to guests, and other members can still put it on ignore, if they wish.
no fences

Magicziggy

Post by Magicziggy » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:30 am

I can see you online. :shifty:

Or is that your phone. :hmmm:

Seriously, it was my fault for even starting it with mono, then moving on to ksen. I should never have contemplated it with oblivion. It was bad judgement.

However, people were happy to lap up the mono and ksen data. Just saying.

Low posting, participation:
I think it should be self leveling. MattShizzle got away with it. Mono rode his luck. ksen skated almost two whole days.

IF YOU ARE TOWN, DON'T DO THIS BECAUSE I WILL LYNCH YOU AND I WILL NOT DEFEND YOU FROM ANYBODY ELSE WHO SUGGESTS LYNCHING YOU.

There. :smoke:

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:33 am

MZ, I'm not sure if it's because you're phone posting, but your thoughts during the game have often seemed disjointed and incomplete, and therefore confused/confusing ... I think that's what was weird about the game ... you're usually more explanatory and coherent.

I'm responding to posts as I'm catching up on the thread ...
Linus wrote:
Uselesstwit wrote:i have played at places where there's a nonvote penalty. bsically if you don't vote, you get 2 penalty votes the next day. at least you can count on most people showing up for at least a vote post then. or at least the scum and specials will. not a lot you can do about people who won't play when they're VT.
That's an interesting idea, much better than ones I was thinking about.
It's a good one ... and the result of the bit I've bolded could be considered informative in itself.
no fences

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:38 am

Magicziggy wrote:
oblivion wrote:back from the dr.

MZ, all I can tell you is that town or scum, there is no way I would have read Mono's post and not replied. You're welcome to believe what you want to believe, but like I said, I hope that all players will consider going invisible when they play. ksen should not have been cleared by going awol. With the GM error on Gonzo's cardflip that was two strikes against scum that we did not deserve to have to work with. I won't do that to some other poor fuck who draws the scum card the next time I play.
Oblivion, I apologised for the miss call. Perhaps you missed it. Clearly, I believe you.

If players continue to go awol, I'm quitting.
I hope you won't, MZ.
Magicziggy wrote:I retract what I said about Ani. Not because he voted Oblivion, but I think not engaging her when you've made your mind up is probably the best way to go.
Yes ... Ani was quite canny with that vote. Would like to see his post game thoughts on it.
no fences

oblivion
Noble Savage

Post by oblivion » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:40 am

Magicziggy wrote:I can see you online. :shifty:

Or is that your phone. :hmmm:

Seriously, it was my fault for even starting it with mono, then moving on to ksen. I should never have contemplated it with oblivion. It was bad judgement.

However, people were happy to lap up the mono and ksen data. Just saying.

Low posting, participation:
I think it should be self leveling. MattShizzle got away with it. Mono rode his luck. ksen skated almost two whole days.

IF YOU ARE TOWN, DON'T DO THIS BECAUSE I WILL LYNCH YOU AND I WILL NOT DEFEND YOU FROM ANYBODY ELSE WHO SUGGESTS LYNCHING YOU.

There. :smoke:
It's not just this game, MZ. The topic comes up every few months. There are some simple things we can do that will eliminate the entire side channel of information. When it is there, players are going to use it because it is hard data. Mono's online appearances were definitely factored in by the scum team, including me.

Magicziggy

Post by Magicziggy » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:43 am

charlou wrote:MZ, I'm not sure if it's because you're phone posting, but your thoughts during the game have often seemed disjointed and incomplete, and therefore confused/confusing ... I think that's what was weird about the game ... you're usually more explanatory and coherent.
I was what was weird about the game? :hmmm:

Day 1 - all at sea. Always. Always look scummy and always in danger of the lynch.
Day 2 - more data. start pulling things together a bit. My most rational day.
Day 3 - more data. Wifom circuits start kicking in. Anti-wifom circuits in over drive. Trying to just keep it simple. Inevitable anti-wifom circuit overload.
Day 4 - not wanting to be alive on Day 4. But all data suggests Oblivion = scum.

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:50 am

irretating wrote:
oblivion wrote:I think the thing that surprised me most in this game was that Feck was first town-blocked and then vig-killed. I had him down as a bomb or something. town rushes in where scum fear to tread.
Feck created massive WIFOM in this game. I'd have picked him as town, if I had been town, I'm pretty sure. But, his posting was weird as. The charlou vig kill had us scum thinking that if it was a vig doing the killing, it was likely mono as it ruled out so many other players, but the feck kill, that was interesting.

Scum had some bad luck breaks in the game, but then so did town. I think it balanced out in the end.

Oh, and I'm all for hiding online status (I have done so myself for non-game reasons for a long time) as it can be tempting to draw conclusions based on what really isn't game play. Ksen's offline-ness was a lucky town break IMO.
re the bit I've bolded ... I was thinking a vig from the moment I learned I was killed ... I thought it was a good way to remove any wifom about the verity of my claim, and I was totally okay with it. I think that was good play on mono's part.
no fences

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:57 am

oblivion wrote:
Magicziggy wrote:
irretating wrote:Not sure that Aza's error was such a big one. It didn't create even a ripple on the scum board. It's like he had it in his mind that your MLP character was the one getting lynched, even though it was gonzo.

I said it on the zombie board... UT going after me for being so happy to lynch mono day 1 was kind of a fluke. Because of any player I've ever played with, mono is the one that I would gladly policy lynch until he changes his game.
Aza's error was huge. I played it down and let people draw their own conclusions for the main part.
In my mind, people would be crazy to vote for me given that error.
I thought it was odd that it didn't cause much of a ripple, but wasn't going to toot your town horn for you. :D

I think the last day would have been hell. I'm glad we didn't play it. Town or scum, I hate being around at endgame. and I really hate being the last scum in the game. I'm not good enough to pull that off.
Errrmmm ... I recall a certain FF game we were in where you did just that ... ;)
no fences

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:04 am

oblivion wrote:i always wonder how much harder I make things on myself for the future when I lay out my thought process in a writeboard. but, I think it helps me develop my game - I have to change or I'm toast. and I hope it also helps other players think about different ways to approach the game. I'm a very methodical scum player. I focus on special hunting and I usually start the game with strong set of druthers regarding how I want endgame to look. and I learn a lot from my scumbuddies.

I think b.tern may be one of the most underrated players these days. Her in-thread game needs development, but she is good at reading other players as scum. that should translate to good scumhunting when she's town if it hasn't already.
I thought she played a townish looking game ... despite other players thinking so, I'd not have picked her as scum from the posts she had made.
no fences

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:16 am

Magicziggy wrote:
b.ternarius wrote:Thanks, Ob!

That's pleasant to hear. :D

Working on my ingame play is a constant thing: I don't flail much anymore, but I tend to voice weird unlikely viewpoints that cause others to point and stare, even when I'm town.
My advice; Let your consciousness just flow out. :)

Seriously, the game is all the more interesting for the differences in styles and personalities.
The only stuff I don;t like is prolonged, unexplained absence.
Yes indeedy!

As an aside, I find our mafia community a welcome contrast to and haven from the less pleasant issues going on out there in the forum wrt to that very same thing.
no fences

irretating
not too sweet to sledge

My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic: Day 4

Post by irretating » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:21 am

Yep. Every so often I pare back my wider forum reading, due to...well, those of us reading out there know what I mean.

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:28 am

Magicziggy wrote:I reading was mono's statement sometime after it was written. I saw Oblivion was online. I was hoping she'd comment.
I waited, but she didn't. It's just unfortunate and I guess I regret bringing it up.
I've never looked at profiles before but Mono and ksen forced my hand.
I can see how that would happen ... and you were concerned about the two absentee players, so watching their profiles to get some clue that was not otherwise forthcoming was natural ... I doubt you were the only one checking on them ... and I'd be doing the same thing ... have done the same thing in those circumstances.
no fences

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:31 am

irretating wrote:
Feck wrote:
oblivion wrote:I don't think I had to tell a single lie this game. that definitely helped my in-thread demeanor.
I said you bus'd Irre .
yabbut that's more a commentary on your own stretchy morals :ddpan:
:mrgreen:
no fences

oblivion
Noble Savage

Re: Re: My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic: Day 4

Post by oblivion » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:54 am

charlou wrote:
oblivion wrote:
Magicziggy wrote:
irretating wrote:Not sure that Aza's error was such a big one. It didn't create even a ripple on the scum board. It's like he had it in his mind that your MLP character was the one getting lynched, even though it was gonzo.

I said it on the zombie board... UT going after me for being so happy to lynch mono day 1 was kind of a fluke. Because of any player I've ever played with, mono is the one that I would gladly policy lynch until he changes his game.
Aza's error was huge. I played it down and let people draw their own conclusions for the main part.
In my mind, people would be crazy to vote for me given that error.
I thought it was odd that it didn't cause much of a ripple, but wasn't going to toot your town horn for you. :D

I think the last day would have been hell. I'm glad we didn't play it. Town or scum, I hate being around at endgame. and I really hate being the last scum in the game. I'm not good enough to pull that off.
Errrmmm ... I recall a certain FF game we were in where you did just that ... ;)
odd circumstances IMO. mostly players who don't know me. I would never have gotten away with it at TR or ratz.

I am mostly happy with my game prior to day 4 in this game. I gave up on day 4. when MZ voted me I figured it was over because all mono needed to do was decloak and vote.

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:14 pm

Magicziggy wrote:
charlou wrote:MZ, I'm not sure if it's because you're phone posting, but your thoughts during the game have often seemed disjointed and incomplete, and therefore confused/confusing ... I think that's what was weird about the game ... you're usually more explanatory and coherent.
I was what was weird about the game? :hmmm:

Day 1 - all at sea. Always. Always look scummy and always in danger of the lynch.
Day 2 - more data. start pulling things together a bit. My most rational day.
Day 3 - more data. Wifom circuits start kicking in. Anti-wifom circuits in over drive. Trying to just keep it simple. Inevitable anti-wifom circuit overload.
Day 4 - not wanting to be alive on Day 4. But all data suggests Oblivion = scum.
I think it was just me ... I had trouble following your thinking .. The reality is you did really well with your voting, and picking ob as the final scum.
no fences