Discworld Game Thread

Mafia Forum is visible to guests. Please note that game threads are limited to posts by players who are involved in each game. Non-player or derail posts will be moved to a gallery thread.

Moderator: Mafia Mods

Zigmen

Re: Discworld Posgame Wrap-up

Post by Zigmen » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:13 pm

Don't Panic wrote:Zigmen, what was the story with the earmuffs? Did they come from ut and would they have done something different if a town player got them?
The earmuffs would give any player a post restriction for one day.

The Spyglass would give any player a view.

The skeleton key would have allowed the SK to view specialties (or vanilla) but not alignment.

Any invention could be used or passed along.
~Three of a Perfect Pair~

Feck

Post by Feck » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:29 pm

MattShizzle wrote:The people who go by "generic" scum tells.
Since almost everything is a scum tell they are more useful for scum to lynch town .
:hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog:
Give me the wine , I don't need the bread

Don't Panic
Evil Admin
Evil Admin
About me: 100% Pure Evil. (Not from Concentrate)

Discworld Posgame Wrap-up

Post by Don't Panic » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:29 pm

MattShizzle wrote:Another problem is literally anything I do is seen as a scum tell. If I vote someone without giving a reason that's a scum tell. If I post something that isn't usefull that's a scumtell. If I have nothing to add so don't post that's a scum tell. So it's kind of a damned if you do damned if you don't situation.
Matt, if it's any consolation you didn't seem even slightly scummy to me this game, I only voted you because we needed you dead.
Gawd wrote:»
And those Zumwalts are already useless, they can be taken out with an ICBM.
The world is a thing of utter inordinate complexity and richness and strangeness that is absolutely awesome. I mean the idea that such complexity can arise not only out of such simplicity, but probably absolutely out of nothing, is the most fabulous extraordinary idea. And once you get some kind of inkling of how that might have happened, it's just wonderful. And . . . the opportunity to spend 70 or 80 years of your life in such a universe is time well spent as far as I am concerned.
D.N.A.

MattShizzle

Post by MattShizzle » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:10 pm

Feck wrote:
Since almost everything is a scum tell they are more useful for scum to lynch town .
Exactly. Better to go by voting patterns or acting differently from how the individual player normally does.

amok
About me: Bearer of bad news.

Post by amok » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:35 am

MattShizzle wrote:
Feck wrote:
Exactly. Better to go by voting patterns or acting differently from how the individual player normally does.
I agree about voting patterns, Matt, but "normal" play only works if everyone has played together a lot. I still don't understand your play, for example, and I'm just starting to get a feel for some others here and on the other site where I play. I've now played a dozen or so games on two sites, and even at that, I find the "meta" thing can still be a false flag (for me), during a particular game. For me, at least, the only way I can sensibly play is to look at voting, statements made during play, and "flavour of game" issues.

I'm not sure how that will play out in the long run for me as a player, but that's the only way I can play.
It may be true that the law cannot make a man love me, but it can keep him from lynching me, and I think that's pretty important.
- Martin Luther King Jr.

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:25 am

MattShizzle wrote:Another problem is literally anything I do is seen as a scum tell. If I vote someone without giving a reason that's a scum tell. If I post something that isn't usefull that's a scumtell. If I have nothing to add so don't post that's a scum tell. So it's kind of a damned if you do damned if you don't situation.
I can understand a reticence to speak up in mafia if one has experienced a history of being attacked (or a feeling of being attacked) for any contribution one makes. Mafia can tend to get pretty rough (particularly at TR) and players do need to have a thick skin.

As for 'scum tells' ... I'm not one for going along with a prescribed formula .. I agree with Feck on that being more useful for scum to try to exploit, than for town to progress. I prefer a more spontaneous (what's happening in the game/in the moment) and intuitive approach, which can include referring to meta.
no fences

Athene

Post by Athene » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:11 am

Wrong, try again.

Feck

Post by Feck » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:26 am

She said META :hehe:

and are we missing both Irre and Callan this week ?
:hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog:
Give me the wine , I don't need the bread

MattShizzle

Post by MattShizzle » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:58 pm

Athene wrote:
Wrong, try again.
Well, if you're trying to say it's my fault explain exactly how I can not post at all and at the same time not be "too quiet."

oblivion
Noble Savage

Post by oblivion » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:31 pm

I gave up, Matt. You refuse to see yourself as someone who has any control over how you post. and you have never taken up people who offered to mentor you for a game or two. You want people to tiptoe around you. In MAFIA.

You don't want to improve your game. you want people to overlook you whether you are town or scum.

MattShizzle

Post by MattShizzle » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:04 pm

I think I've improved as much as I can. I have control over how I post, what part of NO MATTER WHAT I DO SOME PEOPLE SEE IT AS SCUMMY don't you get?

Don't Panic
Evil Admin
Evil Admin
About me: 100% Pure Evil. (Not from Concentrate)

Discworld Posgame Wrap-up

Post by Don't Panic » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:39 pm

MattShizzle wrote:I think I've improved as much as I can. I have control over how I post, what part of NO MATTER WHAT I DO SOME PEOPLE SEE IT AS SCUMMY don't you get?
##vote mattshizzle##

Sorry. :cheers:
Gawd wrote:»
And those Zumwalts are already useless, they can be taken out with an ICBM.
The world is a thing of utter inordinate complexity and richness and strangeness that is absolutely awesome. I mean the idea that such complexity can arise not only out of such simplicity, but probably absolutely out of nothing, is the most fabulous extraordinary idea. And once you get some kind of inkling of how that might have happened, it's just wonderful. And . . . the opportunity to spend 70 or 80 years of your life in such a universe is time well spent as far as I am concerned.
D.N.A.

oblivion
Noble Savage

Re: Re: Discworld Posgame Wrap-up

Post by oblivion » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:51 am

MattShizzle wrote:I think I've improved as much as I can. I have control over how I post, what part of NO MATTER WHAT I DO SOME PEOPLE SEE IT AS SCUMMY don't you get?
then there is room for improvement. and a mentor could probably help you since you have apparently hit a wall.

amok
About me: Bearer of bad news.

Post by amok » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:04 am

Matt, you demonstrated in this game that you had good reads of two Scum players. I think if you try to explain just a little bit more why you have such reads, it would help the rest of us make sensible decisions.

I also disagree a little about the point that striving for individual survival isn't helpful to Town. I agree it's a team win, overall, but something has stuck with me that I read in one of the tutorials. It said Vanilla Town isn't doing Town a favour by "going gently into that good night." When we're not yet sure of who's who, when the only thing we're SURE of is that WE are Town, individual survival is important for the team. Because it's important not to lynch Town. This obviously doesn't apply if you believe the mob is aiming for someone you think is a Special.

Matt, I can't remember the exact run-down of your votes, but if you could point out in a thread, for example, that you hadn't voted to lynch Town or Special, it would go a long way toward making people think twice. It might have turned the tide, this game (and I don't mean to say even slightly you played worse than anyone else). In this game, Scum was very good, and Town messed up. But you didn't mess up any more than I did, by a long shot.
It may be true that the law cannot make a man love me, but it can keep him from lynching me, and I think that's pretty important.
- Martin Luther King Jr.

MattShizzle

Post by MattShizzle » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:02 am

Thing is "lynching less skilled players" doesn't help town. I'm sometimes good at detecting scum but I'm really, really, really bad at social skills and verbal communication (for those who don't know I have Aspergers Syndrome and from what I learned recently am actually on the border of full fledged autism.)