Hitman: Blood Money Mafia - A Dance With The Devil

Mafia Forum is visible to guests. Please note that game threads are limited to posts by players who are involved in each game. Non-player or derail posts will be moved to a gallery thread.

Moderator: Mafia Mods

gib
stone soup vendor

Re: Hitman: Blood Money Mafia - Post Game

Post by gib » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:37 am

Magicziggy wrote:Ok. Here's my take.

I certainly didn't give charlou's posts the attention they deserved. I walked into a game with it's plan to bus my role. Seemed logical. Kind of spiraled out of control from there.

Feck gave a very clear indication that he was a target by talking about knowing which side he was on. I'm glad I picked that.

UT was a bit more of a lucky shot. Not having had an opportunity to post on day 1 I narrowed down to him as most likely.

I didn't agree with the decisions to fake claim. However I wasn't around to argue the point and will always go with the flow. The mass out would have been terminal but we did then nail the disguise viewer and should have been back in the game.

I would never have picked zigmen as the third target. However I think the timing of his out was good for town.

You can see from our wb that I believed that targets = town specials. And that there were no others, ie no bodyguards. Taking out ani was simply to do the expected. Plus it gave zigmen a chance to view me. Whether to keep zigmen or not after that was a toss up. In the end I thought that it may leave irre and Linus with enough of a shadow to get them lynched.

I was pessimistic for obvious reasons but enjoyed the challenge of trying to stay alive. I seriously thought that oblivion may have been on our side towards the end. Ie a traitor. I couldn't understand why she hesitated about voting me.

On the strategic godkill situation, I think it should be spelled out beforehand. It's the cynical foul in footy that leads to a straight red.

Special mentions. Amok was very astute. Definitely towns biggest asset. Gib also has a very disconcerting playing style if you are scum and he's town. I'll look forward to seeing him translate that to a scum role. I'm hazy as to how it's worked out in the past.

Linus did everything right except the seer cover scheme. That won't work.

Irre's suggestion to mass claim was astute and would have been beneficial to town at any stage. Coming so early it was seen as scummy. I think the problem is that many town players want to play a very cagey game at the start. It needed to wait until it did. I trolley tracked irre at the end because I had very few options. I am seriously not going to spend hours and hours on mafia. I'll pass on the next one or two games for that reason.

Thanks again gonzo.
oh yeh, after being scum in the tr game i can relate to that

alternative to skipping games is to state in advance that u can play certain slots in the day and stick to those no matter what - that's the direction i think i'm heading

gib
stone soup vendor

Post by gib » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:39 am

Contrapposto wrote:Well, my first experience as scum was a total failure - full of missteps and Freudian slips. Btw, the "STRANGER DANGER!" comments were just game play. :lol: I think that the mechanic was sound with the exception of the list which had us done for from day one.

I was really freaking out once the mass claim started and decided to claim the "wheelchair dude" (Cayne). The doubling back to counter claim Zig was a last minute move born out of desperation - hoping to get one more townie lynched before my exit.

Great game, town. I enjoyed playing. Thanks for hosting, Gonzo.
if that was your first scum game then you did way above average

Magicziggy

Hitman: Blood Money Mafia - Post Game

Post by Magicziggy » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:25 am

gib wrote:
alternative to skipping games is to state in advance that u can play certain slots in the day and stick to those no matter what - that's the direction i think i'm heading
I don't think I want to state at the outset that I'll only post at certain times. The main thing for me is to keep it fresh and enjoyable. For that I need regular breaks. But for those who know how I've played in the past, you may have noticed a change in the last two games. And I've enjoyed it far more.

irretating
not too sweet to sledge

Post by irretating » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:34 am

yep you're way more evil and scary

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:56 am

I reread my writeboard ... made a couple of errors with the names of people there :oops: I don't know how I got irre and diva mixed up in the first post, for example ... late and tired, I guess.

... also was pretty negative wrt the scum team/players ... Sorry guys.

Contra, I didn't know this was your first scum role until later in the game when you mentioned it.

As for my own gameplay ... I've come to realise I overthink things and talk too much when I play scum ... need to remedy this in future.
no fences

Feck

Post by Feck » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:01 am

I don't think you can talk too much when your scum . if you have other team members (ie if Ksen hasn't shot himself in the foot :hehe: ) then sharing your thoughts makes for a stronger scum team . TEAM is what scum playing is about . if you notice the times town do well in a game it is because they have got it together and at least some of them trust each other and can play like a team .
:hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog:
Give me the wine , I don't need the bread

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:05 am

Feck wrote:I don't think you can talk too much when your scum . if you have other team members (ie if Ksen hasn't shot himself in the foot :hehe: ) then sharing your thoughts makes for a stronger scum team . TEAM is what scum playing is about . if you notice the times town do well in a game it is because they have got it together and at least some of them trust each other and can play like a team .
Oh yes, talking and working as a team, for sure ...

When I said I overthink and talk too much I meant in the gamethread where town can pick up on it ... That got me lynched on day one this game.
no fences

divagreen

Post by divagreen » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:39 am

I would like to tell my side of the story.

At the end of d1, when I went to bed, I had Oblivion as town. That is what it says in my notes. I suspected her in d2 because I misinterpreted her as to deliberately spreading wifom around the cardflips.

This was due to her saying that she was going to ask Gonzo for clarification and not receiving any. I figured it out later in the day and noticed that Contra was not backing me up about asking the GM questions, considering I had asked the Demicon account about Gonzo's cardflip in the GitM. I made a mess and I apologise for it.

Another reason I was suspicious of you, Oblivion, is because in another game running simultaneously, I did not feel like I had to ask what your alignment was (Dr. Who). I knew you were town in that game. The whole game. You were different in this one, at first. And I became needlessly paranoid about you and Gib.

Charlou, much respect, but Raven outed herself under very little pressure in the GitM game. I don't think she had any votes on her. Fragment and I both noticed it. The result of everyone's out was an eclipse where scum was able to use it to their advantage even though scum took part in the mass outing. I think Raven played that angle masterfully. And her play in the penalty was unintentional, it was a predetermined GM mechanic, so please nobody read into that.

I have not had the most positive experiences on here, but I am glad that Amok and R.C. have. I think that this is a good site for Mafia and I hope it continues to be grounds for cross-polination in the Mafia world. :biggrin:

I say MVP award should go to Linus. I did not pick up the scummy vibes that other people did; he seemed to be trying to cut through the BS. The whole game. I am sorry, Linus, that I tainted your awesome town play. :td:
Currently suffers from Cassandra's curse.

Linus

Post by Linus » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:22 pm

divagreen wrote:Linus, that I tainted your awesome town play. :td:
Thanks, but nah, without you I would've done worse. You helped me think clearly about a few things and it was helpful to have mutual town reads on each other. You were among my top town reads towards the end of day 1 and the top town read since after the end of the following night chat.

oblivion
Noble Savage

Post by oblivion » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:48 pm

I got very different day 1 reviews in the two games, but I think more players had me down as scummy in the dr who game after day 1 than this one. I let the dr who game impact this one and vice versa.

I screwed up out of the gate on day 2 and I expected to be lynched for it. I wish the pm issue had never surfaced (for me).

oblivion
Noble Savage

Post by oblivion » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:12 pm

divagreen wrote:Charlou, much respect, but Raven outed herself under very little pressure in the GitM game. I don't think she had any votes on her. Fragment and I both noticed it. The result of everyone's out was an eclipse where scum was able to use it to their advantage even though scum took part in the mass outing. I think Raven played that angle masterfully. And her play in the penalty was unintentional, it was a predetermined GM mechanic, so please nobody read into that.
It may not have looked like pressure, but it sure felt like it. I had frag's vote on me IIRC, and I had a lot of players calling for me to fully out since they took my (hasty) accusation that Pan had blocked me was taken as admission of a night action. My impression of pressure was inevitably colored by my thinking I had been blocked on night 1, and waiting...waiting...waiting for the other shoe to drop. I had been a bundle of nerves for most of the game day (i.e., for several weeks).

It's very flattering to have my play called masterful. I did the best I could with the situation I was in, and played for several weeks with my heart not in it because I expected to be lynched by day 3 or 4. Megs commented to me a couple days ago that he started to suspect me (after he'd been subbed out) when I came back to life on day 5. I think that was one of my biggest tells. The other was one that charlou commented on - my usually being at the coal face chipping away at every little thing looking for scum.

That comment, Charlou, was probably the most useful thing anyone has ever said about my scum game. I think it has held in every case that I was scum.

divagreen

Post by divagreen » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:16 pm

oblivion wrote:I got very different day 1 reviews in the two games, but I think more players had me down as scummy in the dr who game after day 1 than this one. I let the dr who game impact this one and vice versa.

I screwed up out of the gate on day 2 and I expected to be lynched for it. I wish the pm issue had never surfaced (for me).
I should have shared it right away, or not brought it up at all, but i just did not think it was a big deal. I learned a big lesson in this game. To not share info is very anti-town and it will bite you in the butt later. My lynching in this game was due to my own very terribad play. :ani:

Thank you for the game, Gonzo. :fall:

divagreen

Post by divagreen » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:30 pm

oblivion wrote:
divagreen wrote:Charlou, much respect, but Raven outed herself under very little pressure in the GitM game. I don't think she had any votes on her. Fragment and I both noticed it. The result of everyone's out was an eclipse where scum was able to use it to their advantage even though scum took part in the mass outing. I think Raven played that angle masterfully. And her play in the penalty was unintentional, it was a predetermined GM mechanic, so please nobody read into that.
It may not have looked like pressure, but it sure felt like it. I had frag's vote on me IIRC, and I had a lot of players calling for me to fully out since they took my (hasty) accusation that Pan had blocked me was taken as admission of a night action. My impression of pressure was inevitably colored by my thinking I had been blocked on night 1, and waiting...waiting...waiting for the other shoe to drop. I had been a bundle of nerves for most of the game day (i.e., for several weeks).

It's very flattering to have my play called masterful. I did the best I could with the situation I was in, and played for several weeks with my heart not in it because I expected to be lynched by day 3 or 4. Megs commented to me a couple days ago that he started to suspect me (after he'd been subbed out) when I came back to life on day 5. I think that was one of my biggest tells. The other was one that charlou commented on - my usually being at the coal face chipping away at every little thing looking for scum.

That comment, Charlou, was probably the most useful thing anyone has ever said about my scum game. I think it has held in every case that I was scum.
Charlou was one of the reasons I suspected you. Good scumdar, Charlou!

But I had zero sympathy for you when there was like, 30 something pages dedicated to whether or not my claim was legit. I did not think that you were under pressure comparatively speaking. No votes.

It is all water under the bridge. After every game, when it is over, I have mucho respect for you. As I do for other players on here. :td:

oblivion
Noble Savage

Post by oblivion » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:45 pm

lol well, I have nerves of steel when it comes to pressure when I am town because it happens nearly ever game. Not much practice being under pressure as scum.

MattShizzle

Post by MattShizzle » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:48 pm

I do think the posting too much is harmful to town. Even if someone is willing to read like 8 pages when they first wake up it's very likely something will be missed in the clutter. Especially when it's mostly back and forth bickering between 2 or 3 people.