Starfleet Game thread

Mafia Forum is visible to guests. Please note that game threads are limited to posts by players who are involved in each game. Non-player or derail posts will be moved to a gallery thread.

Moderator: Mafia Mods

ksen

Re: Starfleet Finale

Post by ksen » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:43 pm

divagreen wrote:Whatever. I know my place in the food chain.
I'm happy to have the company diva. it's lonely down here. :hug:

ksen

Post by ksen » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:50 pm

grit wrote:
Uselesstwit wrote:also diva it's what your fourth game or so? Playing a strong town game is hard, much harder than being scum. Even when you learn how you'll still mess up like i did this game. a good thing to do is go back thru the game and reread it keeping who was who in mind.
Damn it, Jim, she's a poetic, cat-loving android of order and logic, not a brick-layer!
(I'm sorry, it had to be said.)
can't believe we went the whole game without one of those!

ksen

Post by ksen » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:53 pm

gib wrote:diva you should accept bili's offer imho

ksen, not on the mouth please, there's a good chap!
every party has a pooper.

Adenosine

Post by Adenosine » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:56 pm

ksen wrote:
grit wrote:
Uselesstwit wrote:also diva it's what your fourth game or so? Playing a strong town game is hard, much harder than being scum. Even when you learn how you'll still mess up like i did this game. a good thing to do is go back thru the game and reread it keeping who was who in mind.
Damn it, Jim, she's a poetic, cat-loving android of order and logic, not a brick-layer!
(I'm sorry, it had to be said.)
can't believe we went the whole game without one of those!
I could'na do it Cap'n! I could'na reach the control panel!
Ignore me, I'm just here for the Mafia.

Bilirubin
No Kill I!!!

Post by Bilirubin » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:05 pm

grit wrote:
Bilirubin wrote:Lynch the quiet ones.

Oh, and also, cut the irrelevant chatter. That just gives scum a smoke screen to hide within.
I was taught that as well, and have been most inclined to follow through on it. But I know it does not work at TR and another site where I have played. Yes, quietness is generally anti-town and extraneous chatter often is a distraction toward rabbit holes and vain imaginings; but not when taken for what they plainly are. That one does not post does not certify that they are Scum, and that one chatters does not necessitate irrelevancy to Town or a helpful smoke screen for Scum - not when seen for what they are and pointed out as so for Town to weigh and consider.
No, there are no guarantees in this game, no magic formulae exist for telling who is scum and who is town with 100% accuracy. Its a matter of probabilities and you have to constantly take new information in and be able to reevaluate what you think is going on given new information. Here is my spreadsheet for this game. I use colour coding to rank players in terms of probability of particular alignment--its all solid colours at top because its towards the end of the game, but if you scroll down to my counting column you will see the colours from earlier in the game. If you scroll right to day one you will see a little of how I approach building an image of who is who, and where I file away quotes and links that might be worth considering later as more information is available. These could help point towards scum (if I am town) or exploitable to drive home a lynch on town (if I am scum).

But the biggest thing is to be able to change your mind, which is what trolly tracking is an inability to do.
Take irre's "Zen" comment, for example. That could have worked either way, as WIFOM for Scum, or a hidden Seer tell for Town. It wound up being the former, but Scum rightly put it on a back burner as just a bit of info of which to be aware. They didn't take it as gospel and run with it, though in a pinch they may rightly have done so and been wrong. Should irre have said it? The game could have as easily turned on it as other things, for either Town or Scum. Without it one may just as simply have posted, "I'm NOT the Seer, I'm Vanilla Town." - no smoke screen there for either side to hide within.
That was weird from my perspective--when she first did it I glazed over it. In fact, I turned the smilies off at that point. It took me a bit to even understand why ksen and denny found that potentially significant.

Bilirubin
No Kill I!!!

Post by Bilirubin » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:09 pm

divagreen wrote: Whatever. I know my place in the food chain.
Oh. Well. Poor you I guess.

divagreen

Post by divagreen » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:37 pm

Bilirubin wrote:
divagreen wrote: Whatever. I know my place in the food chain.
Oh. Well. Poor you I guess.
Currently suffers from Cassandra's curse.

grit
About me: Calvinistic Christian, wandering pilgrim, and all 'round very odd fellow.

Post by grit » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:01 pm

Mantisdreamz

Post by Mantisdreamz » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:23 am

grit wrote:
ksen wrote:
grit wrote:ksen was giving away boat rides.
I actually had to jump over the side Saturday. :(
Forced you to walk the plank, did they? So they must have been on to you.

ksen, irre, and I will be subbing into The Life Aquatic Mafia with Steve Zissou. :sub:
irretating wrote:ooh. That is one of my most fave films.
:td: :td: :cheers: :td:
mine too. if you like that, you might also like the royal tenenbaums

Diva - nice sig :smoke: But I've already told you I disagree! There's something about going into straight flail (anger) mode that is admirable. OK - there has been talk in the thread about your scum flail and town flail being similar (I think Feck mentioned this) ---but, I do agree with what you say about learning to read a certain character/person...that is, seeing their personality and adjusting to what you would expect of them. (just as you said you knew Irre & UT were town). I don't really know or think that there really truly is such a thing as playing 'the perfect town game' .. or scum game.. because everyone's going to play differently, due to different personalities. So if we have certain ideas about how the ideal town should play, it'd be kind of boring. It'd be slightly robotic. (And it'd be too hard to get everyone to follow certain steps of play that is deemed appropriate/inappropriate). The game is about sledging various things that people do, and I think the people (us!) who are addicted to mafia games, or at least enjoy a game every so often, like it, because we enjoy analyzing (different) people. Just my take on it. From my perspective, I like playing with the same people for the very fact of getting to be able to read them after some time.

OB - you always think I am scum. And it could be for the very reason that things I do seem anti townish. But, basically - I like Feck's take on the whole game. You act different in every game. I don't like the idea of restricting myself to not do certain things, because the 'meta' is that a town normally wouldn't do that (selfish? maybe). As said in above paragraph - I more like the idea of reading people you've played with for awhile, and then coming to a conclusion on whether or not this is normal town behaviour for them.

Of course -- there is still a combination of objective scum tells that are valid. Things like, repeating words in a sentence (looks like the post has been reviewed and corrected too many times) ... or, out-of-left-field emotions or greetings being displayed. Or lack of flow in a post... Those things aren't always tells, but a lot of the times, they are

irretating
not too sweet to sledge

Post by irretating » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:54 am

^ great post, mantis!

And yes, I loved The Royal Tenenbaums, too. We must have a similar off-beat sense of humour :nod:

Mantisdreamz

Post by Mantisdreamz » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:34 pm

^haha, I'm picturing that scene where Bill Murray takes a fall down the stairs and just lies there on his back for a minute or 2 :D

gandalf

Re: Starfleet day 2

Post by gandalf » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:26 am

irretating wrote:                       

!!1!
NOTMOD
adenosine has been godkilled for insinuating normal's moustache is anything other than the genuine article. Gandalf has been subbed in, but he called everyone retards then broke the game.
wtf is this shit