Reservoir Dogs Mafia Game thread

Mafia Forum is visible to guests. Please note that game threads are limited to posts by players who are involved in each game. Non-player or derail posts will be moved to a gallery thread.

Moderator: Mafia Mods

Azathoth
blind idiot god
blind idiot god

Re: Reservoir Dogs Mafia - Post Game

Post by Azathoth » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:38 am

Linus wrote:
charlou wrote:Each to their own, but while I really like (as distinct from prefer) predominently vanilla games too, for the reasons someone gave earlier ... was it you, Linus? ... I also like variety, and playing games with the emphasis on specials is also fun ... gritty and challenging in a different way. I also think it's good to allow for GM experimentation with game balance, etc, so they get enjoyment and experience from the whole thing too.
IMO, it could possibly be nice as a rare exception but games with too many specials seem to be the norm. Maybe I'm unfairly overlooking some GMs since I haven't played or read all recent games, but it seems to me that everyone except 2 GMs are unable to control the GM urge to put in lots of twists and specials.

One thought experiment I've seen several others propose as a test of game balance, and which I agree with, is to imagine what would happen if all specials role claimed on day 1. If this is a likely town win, the game is poorly designed. In my estimation, having all 6 specials in this game claim on day 1 would have been very good for town (possibly not optimal but still very good). Most games with lots of specials will fail this game balance test.
I find the 50% vanilla 25% scum 25% town specials rule of thumb gives the most balanced games. Still involves juggling to get the balance of town and scum specials right though
Outside the ordered universe is that amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity—the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Code: Select all

// Replaces with spaces the braces in cases where braces in places cause stasis 
   $str = str_replace(array("\{","\}")," ",$str);

Feck

Post by Feck » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:52 am

Animavore wrote:I owned this game.

Sayin' is all Image

Aza and Adenosine
Played good games without them we would have killed Town Aza May have been useless Seer but as a Player he caught the Ksen and I Adenosine blocked all the right people at the right time . That was a Hard game to play scum ,Town could clear them selves ,We nearly had a ploy to use this But Gonzo couldn't give us a safe claim name so our knowledge of investigated town players couldn't be used to any effect .
:hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog:
Give me the wine , I don't need the bread

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:05 pm

Azathoth wrote:
Linus wrote:
charlou wrote:Each to their own, but while I really like (as distinct from prefer) predominently vanilla games too, for the reasons someone gave earlier ... was it you, Linus? ... I also like variety, and playing games with the emphasis on specials is also fun ... gritty and challenging in a different way. I also think it's good to allow for GM experimentation with game balance, etc, so they get enjoyment and experience from the whole thing too.
IMO, it could possibly be nice as a rare exception but games with too many specials seem to be the norm. Maybe I'm unfairly overlooking some GMs since I haven't played or read all recent games, but it seems to me that everyone except 2 GMs are unable to control the GM urge to put in lots of twists and specials.

One thought experiment I've seen several others propose as a test of game balance, and which I agree with, is to imagine what would happen if all specials role claimed on day 1. If this is a likely town win, the game is poorly designed. In my estimation, having all 6 specials in this game claim on day 1 would have been very good for town (possibly not optimal but still very good). Most games with lots of specials will fail this game balance test.
I find the 50% vanilla 25% scum 25% town specials rule of thumb gives the most balanced games. Still involves juggling to get the balance of town and scum specials right though

I think the balance in this game was in part manifested by the wifom created by the three seer aspect (initially WTF?, then uncertainty about the type of insanity and the result of Aza's views), and the mutual (both sides) wifom wrt what each side thought the other side were going to do with their night actions.

I think the endgame result should bear some influence on how we consider the overall game balance. As I said earlier, one scum and two town (that's a reduction from original town:scum ratio down to 2:1) at end game shouldn't be overlooked.
no fences

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:29 pm

Oh yeah. Feck :lay:
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Zigmen

Re: Reservoir Dogs Mafia - Day 7

Post by Zigmen » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:06 pm

Grats Town~
~Three of a Perfect Pair~

Zigmen

Post by Zigmen » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:55 pm

Grats, Town.

Zigmen

Post by Zigmen » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:59 pm

"Zigmen VIEWS charlou's ALIGNMENT; Zigmen is BLOCKED"

Zigmen recieves no block message.

Was this true of all blocks? Nobody got block messages?

ksen

Post by ksen » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:16 pm

I think this bears repeating from the scum board:
This is more for after the game is over but I’d like to say that charlou’s avatar is one of the main reasons I keep hanging around Rationalia.

Feck

Post by Feck » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:19 pm

Zigmen wrote:"Zigmen VIEWS charlou's ALIGNMENT; Zigmen is BLOCKED"

Our kills just didn't happen if we were blocked ,nothing said just they were alive at day break
:hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog:
Give me the wine , I don't need the bread

Linus

Post by Linus » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:25 pm

I'm pretty sure no one got a block message.

ksen

Post by ksen » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:30 pm

Linus wrote:

I'm pretty sure no one got a block message you big baby.
fixt

divagreen

Post by divagreen » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:43 pm

Gonzo said in the zombie board that it is an FF thing; you don't get a block message, you don't get any message, it just does not go through. On FF, apparently you give as little info as possible. :)
Currently suffers from Cassandra's curse.

Azathoth
blind idiot god
blind idiot god

Post by Azathoth » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:42 pm

I sometimes don't send block messages either. It is fun to watch the WIFOM it generates
Outside the ordered universe is that amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity—the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

ksen

Post by ksen » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:01 pm

Azathoth wrote:I sometimes don't send block messages either. It is fun to watch the WIFOM it generates
:colbert:

Azathoth
blind idiot god
blind idiot god

Post by Azathoth » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:42 pm

I view it as my duty as a GM to make you lot as miserable and confused as possible :pardon: