Upcoming Games/GM signups~

Mafia Forum is visible to guests. Please note that game threads are limited to posts by players who are involved in each game. Non-player or derail posts will be moved to a gallery thread.

Moderator: Mafia Mods

b.ternarius

Re: Upcoming Games/GM signups~

Post by b.ternarius » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:22 am

amok wrote:
b.ternarius wrote:
amok wrote:Hi all. I've only played on RatSkep, which I gather from reading the latest game here is sort of considered a parlour game variety of Mafia.

I get that, because the game I'm following here now seems more intricate and aggressive. But I'd like to know if regular players think it would be better both for me and other players if I follow a few more games before joining in. I don't really want to make screw up the flow, but I also thought that about the RatSkep versions, and I'd still be sitting on the sidelines there if I hadn't given it that first shot.

Thanks for any advice.
I'm currently on a run of playing mafia games at different sites (than TR) (it's oblivion's fault), and I'm not super experienced or particularly good at it. Nevertheless I enjoy playing and don't feel I'm screwing up the flow. Oblivion is an awesome mentor, I would take her up on it.

Re ratskep's mafia: I just played the camelot2 game with you. I thought the rampant town PMing was a bit strange, as it leaves a lot of players out and introduces a kind of knowledge heirarchy that I personally didn't like that much. It was still fun and recognizably mafia, imo. :)

Jump in, I say.
Oh, thanks, b.ternarius! Good to know.

Ha! Funny thing about the PMing on that game - and others - is that I hold back even doing that. I got swept off my feet by a smooth-talking but Scummy PMer in my very first game (not that it mattered, because I didn't have an important role), and that's stuck with me in every following game. Last game on RatSkep, I was in a very funny position because I was a Special who didn't really have any special power.

If the other players hadn't figured things out, and it looked like the numbers were getting dangerous, I was going to try a bluff against your role to get you (whoever) to waste a night kill on me. Thought I'd say I had a secret one-time shot at seeing my adulterous lover, in a magic mirror or something like that. I figure it might have worked, because I also had a secret one-time vig kill built into my otherwise blase role in a previous game. Of course, that wasn't needed because the :mob: got you before it came to that.

Good play, by the way! As I said, I wasn't really in on much of the backroom PM play, and I was still waffling right up to the end.
PMs among town players was a new one to me -generally pms among town are not permitted, or limited to a couple players, ime.

You'd have had to be very convincing to get me to off you. You were insurance - killing me would have killed you. It would have been better for scum if I'd been killed earlier, because of the automatic simultaneous removal of a town player. :D

Being the only scum left alive with a horde of specials on your case and a collection of poisoned (since I didn't dare take any of the power ones) cups to choose from every day was a bit daunting.

oblivion
Noble Savage

Post by oblivion » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:36 am

irretating wrote:Hi amok!

You'd do just fine here. The perceived higher level of aggression is just appearances. There's very little real venom in the game (I find ratskept games often have more real snark than on here).
except the venom between me and irre. that's 100% real. ;ob;

amok
About me: Bearer of bad news.

Post by amok » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:53 am

b.ternarius wrote:

You'd have had to be very convincing to get me to off you. You were insurance - killing me would have killed you. It would have been better for scum if I'd been killed earlier, because of the automatic simultaneous removal of a town player. :D
Aye, there's the rub! I concede it probably wouldn't have worked in that game (but still worth a shot), because you didn't know me (nor I you). But it might have worked if some other player was Lancelot. In that other game I mentioned, my only regret was outing myself on the last day, thus removing the surprise of a bullet in Ani's head at the last minute! :lol:

Oh, sorry, Ani! I was going to kill you in that game, come hell or high water.
It may be true that the law cannot make a man love me, but it can keep him from lynching me, and I think that's pretty important.
- Martin Luther King Jr.

irretating
not too sweet to sledge

Post by irretating » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:29 am

oblivion wrote:
irretating wrote:Hi amok!

You'd do just fine here. The perceived higher level of aggression is just appearances. There's very little real venom in the game (I find ratskept games often have more real snark than on here).
except the venom between me and irre. that's 100% real. ;ob;
Well, yeah, but everyone knows about that. :bored:

amok
About me: Bearer of bad news.

Post by amok » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:53 am

That Innsmouth game was awesome!
It may be true that the law cannot make a man love me, but it can keep him from lynching me, and I think that's pretty important.
- Martin Luther King Jr.

b.ternarius

Post by b.ternarius » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:28 pm

I think I really enjoy fantasy/horror flavour mafia games. In aid of which, since I don't design or GM games because I think I'd be crap at it, some talented GM should consider coming up with a Weaveworld (Clive Barker) themed game.

here's the very sketchy wiki, for those who haven't read it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weaveworld

I would play Immacolata in a heartbeat, though oblivion could prob. rock the character. :D

ETA: Story has great over the top characters and distinct factions.

oblivion
Noble Savage

Post by oblivion » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:11 pm

That would make a good theme. I've thought about designing an Imajica themed game sometime.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imajica

b.ternarius

Post by b.ternarius » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:14 pm

An Imajica game would be awesome.

Other than my having to get a copy and read it again, since it's been years.

Wait: that's not a bad thing!

MattShizzle

Post by MattShizzle » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:49 pm

1. Hitman: Blood Money Mafia - Gonzo*
2. Stargate SG1 Mafia - Oblivion
3. Old West Mafia - MattShizzle

oblivion
Noble Savage

Post by oblivion » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:16 am

I've PMed Gonzo to see if he'll be able to run the Hitman game in the next week or so. If he's not able, I'm ready to run the SG 1 game.

Azathoth
blind idiot god
blind idiot god

Post by Azathoth » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:18 am

4. Something or other when I can be bothered to think.
Outside the ordered universe is that amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity—the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Code: Select all

// Replaces with spaces the braces in cases where braces in places cause stasis 
   $str = str_replace(array("\{","\}")," ",$str);

Zigmen

Post by Zigmen » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:15 am

4. Discworld Mafia (Terry Pratchett series)- Zigmen
~Three of a Perfect Pair~

oblivion
Noble Savage

Post by oblivion » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:51 am

4. Something or other - Azathoth
5. Discworld Mafia (Terry Pratchett series)- Zigmen

Gonzo
For Sheriff

Post by Gonzo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:04 pm

Yeah I'll host it, sure. It's going to be simple.
Don't go near that elevator - that's just what they want us to do... trap us in a steel box and take us down to the basement.

MattShizzle

Post by MattShizzle » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:26 pm

1. Stargate SG1 Mafia - Oblivion
2. Old West Mafia - MattShizzle
3. Something or other - Azathoth
4. Discworld Mafia (Terry Pratchett series)- Zigmen

(to clear the one the signup is active for.)