Plan for moderation of Fiendly Mafia games

Mafia Forum is visible to guests. Please note that game threads are limited to posts by players who are involved in each game. Non-player or derail posts will be moved to a gallery thread.

Moderator: Mafia Mods

User avatar
charlou
arseist
Posts: 32503
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:36 am

Re: Plan for moderation of Fiendly Mafia games

Post by charlou » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:35 am

Bartholomew Roberts wrote:
Charlou wrote:FBM
I support your plan except for this part, that guy's a fuckwit
Strongly disagree. FBM is one of the few mods who wanted to understand this ratz mafia thing and help improve things during a period when it looked like we were going to lose it. He and Ayaan both helped me to show the other staff how important this is and to formulate the plan you read in the OP. We now have the support of the staff which is one aspect of how we have managed to turn this around. The other aspects being Zigmen's series of games, and the mafia players' willingness to get it back on track. :tup:
oblivion wrote:If you lock all but the active day thread, then the games stay more organized. If you want 2 subforums, I'd suggest having one forum for sign-ups and discussions of mafia topics, and one forum for the games. As a player and GM, I find it useful to have all the games in one forum because I can limit my searches to previous games very easily that way.
Sounds good to me, oblivion ... will see what the other mafia mods think.
no fences

higgs2
Posts: 1902
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Plan for moderation of Fiendly Mafia games

Post by higgs2 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:45 am

I don't really understand the rules because I didn't really read them because they were long but I'm usually pretty civil so I imagine I'll be okay.

hahaha Bart got suspended again! I think it's his hobby.
Badass Elf

User avatar
leo-rcc
Robo-Warrior
Posts: 7838
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:09 pm
About me: Combat robot builder
Location: Hoogvliet-Rotterdam, Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Plan for moderation of Fiendly Mafia games

Post by leo-rcc » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:00 pm

How about game-masters and mods try to explain in broad terms how this mafia thing works? It is not easy to figure out what is going on of you're not versed in them.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
My combat robot site: http://www.team-rcc.org
My other favorite atheist forum: http://www.atheistforums.org

Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you

User avatar
Feck
.
.
Posts: 28389
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Plan for moderation of Fiendly Mafia games

Post by Feck » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:05 pm

Mafia (also known as Werewolf or Assassin) is a party game modeling a battle between an informed minority and an uninformed majority. Players are secretly assigned roles: either "mafia", who know each other; or "townspeople", who know only the number of mafia amongst them. In the game's "night" phase the mafia covertly 'murder' a townsperson. During the day phase, all of the surviving players debate the identities of the mafia and vote to eliminate a suspect. Play continues until all of the mafia have been eliminated, or until the mafia outnumber the townspeople.
:hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog:
Give me the wine , I don't need the bread

oblivion
Noble Savage
Posts: 5860
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:41 pm
Contact:

Re: Plan for moderation of Fiendly Mafia games

Post by oblivion » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:59 pm

leo-rcc wrote:How about game-masters and mods try to explain in broad terms how this mafia thing works? It is not easy to figure out what is going on of you're not versed in them.
Mafia started as a party game. The wikipedia page about the party game gives a pretty good feel for how the online game works: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia_(party_game)

For more info than you'd ever want to know about online mafia visit http://mafiascum.net/wiki. The Newbie guide will lead you to many interesting articles: http://mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie_Guide

User avatar
leo-rcc
Robo-Warrior
Posts: 7838
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:09 pm
About me: Combat robot builder
Location: Hoogvliet-Rotterdam, Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Plan for moderation of Fiendly Mafia games

Post by leo-rcc » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:03 pm

oblivion wrote:
leo-rcc wrote:How about game-masters and mods try to explain in broad terms how this mafia thing works? It is not easy to figure out what is going on of you're not versed in them.
Mafia started as a party game. The wikipedia page about the party game gives a pretty good feel for how the online game works: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia_(party_game)

For more info than you'd ever want to know about online mafia visit http://mafiascum.net/wiki. The Newbie guide will lead you to many interesting articles: http://mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie_Guide
Thank you. :tup: Maybe the games will make sense after that. :biggrin:
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
My combat robot site: http://www.team-rcc.org
My other favorite atheist forum: http://www.atheistforums.org

Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you

User avatar
charlou
arseist
Posts: 32503
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:36 am

Re: Plan for moderation of Fiendly Mafia games

Post by charlou » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:56 am

leo-rcc wrote:
oblivion wrote:
leo-rcc wrote:How about game-masters and mods try to explain in broad terms how this mafia thing works? It is not easy to figure out what is going on of you're not versed in them.
Mafia started as a party game. The wikipedia page about the party game gives a pretty good feel for how the online game works: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia_(party_game)

For more info than you'd ever want to know about online mafia visit http://mafiascum.net/wiki. The Newbie guide will lead you to many interesting articles: http://mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie_Guide
Thank you. :tup: Maybe the games will make sense after that. :biggrin:
I found reading about it first, while useful, only superficially so, and it didn't really make sense to me until I signed up and played a newbie game at the mafiascum.net website ... that really helped me get a good introduction to the game and helped to make sense of what I'd been reading. I went from there to playing oblivion's simple mafia games here, a flavour game over at RatSkep, and currently playing games here and at Talk Rational, learning more and more as I go.
no fences

User avatar
charlou
arseist
Posts: 32503
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:36 am

Re: Plan for moderation of Fiendly Mafia games

Post by charlou » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:05 am

Signing up for the simple games here would be a good introduction for new players too. I've learned quite a bit here.

The approach to and atmosphere of Mafia in different forums interesting. I like the cosy friendliness of the ratz Mafia game community, and I also like the larger Mafia player pool at Talk Rational, which means that the dynamic of players in any given game is usually different, depending on who signs up to play.
no fences

User avatar
Bartholomew Roberts
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:13 am
Contact:

Re: Plan for moderation of Fiendly Mafia games

Post by Bartholomew Roberts » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:49 pm

Don't Panic wrote:
Bartholomew Roberts wrote:
Charlou wrote:FBM
I support your plan except for this part, that guy's a fuckwit
This post is a personal attack and a violation of the forum rules. Bartholomew Roberts has been suspended for 7 days.

Hopefully upon his return he will learn to converse in a more civil manner.
you fuck donkeys in their buttholes

Trolldor
Gargling with Nails
Posts: 15878
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:57 am
Contact:

Re: Plan for moderation of Fiendly Mafia games

Post by Trolldor » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:15 pm

I lol'd.
"The fact is that far more crime and child abuse has been committed by zealots in the name of God, Jesus and Mohammed than has ever been committed in the name of Satan. Many people don't like that statement but few can argue with it."

User avatar
Don't Panic
Evil Admin
Evil Admin
Posts: 10653
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:19 am
About me: 100% Pure Evil. (Not from Concentrate)
Location: Luimneach, Eire
Contact:

Re: Plan for moderation of Fiendly Mafia games

Post by Don't Panic » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:00 pm

Bartholomew Roberts wrote:
Don't Panic wrote:
Bartholomew Roberts wrote:
Charlou wrote:FBM
I support your plan except for this part, that guy's a fuckwit
This post is a personal attack and a violation of the forum rules. Bartholomew Roberts has been suspended for 7 days.

Hopefully upon his return he will learn to converse in a more civil manner.
you fuck donkeys in their buttholes
And you get 2 weeks to think about that charming mental image.

This post is a personal attack and a violation of the forum rules. Bartholomew Roberts has been suspended for 14 days.
Gawd wrote:»
And those Zumwalts are already useless, they can be taken out with an ICBM.
The world is a thing of utter inordinate complexity and richness and strangeness that is absolutely awesome. I mean the idea that such complexity can arise not only out of such simplicity, but probably absolutely out of nothing, is the most fabulous extraordinary idea. And once you get some kind of inkling of how that might have happened, it's just wonderful. And . . . the opportunity to spend 70 or 80 years of your life in such a universe is time well spent as far as I am concerned.
D.N.A.

User avatar
Zigmen
Posts: 1922
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:04 am
Contact:

Re: Plan for moderation of Fiendly Mafia games

Post by Zigmen » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:08 pm

If I may make a suggestion:

I'd prefer (From a GM standpoint) that the game days not be combined until the game is complete. Sometimes I need to go back and find a post from a specific day and I have to wade through a huge mess just to find the day I'm looking for.

Thanks.
~Three of a Perfect Pair~

User avatar
Don't Panic
Evil Admin
Evil Admin
Posts: 10653
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:19 am
About me: 100% Pure Evil. (Not from Concentrate)
Location: Luimneach, Eire
Contact:

Re: Plan for moderation of Fiendly Mafia games

Post by Don't Panic » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:18 pm

Zigmen wrote:If I may make a suggestion:

I'd prefer (From a GM standpoint) that the game days not be combined until the game is complete. Sometimes I need to go back and find a post from a specific day and I have to wade through a huge mess just to find the day I'm looking for.

Thanks.
That's what we've been doing with the mini games, I didn't merge the star trek, boy band and question threads until the game was over.
Gawd wrote:»
And those Zumwalts are already useless, they can be taken out with an ICBM.
The world is a thing of utter inordinate complexity and richness and strangeness that is absolutely awesome. I mean the idea that such complexity can arise not only out of such simplicity, but probably absolutely out of nothing, is the most fabulous extraordinary idea. And once you get some kind of inkling of how that might have happened, it's just wonderful. And . . . the opportunity to spend 70 or 80 years of your life in such a universe is time well spent as far as I am concerned.
D.N.A.

User avatar
charlou
arseist
Posts: 32503
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:36 am

Re: Plan for moderation of Fiendly Mafia games

Post by charlou » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:34 pm

I merged the tea party threads as each day was done with.

Zigmen, I wish you'd said something sooner .. but I'm glad you mentioned it now anyway. I'll leave any merging until the entire game is over in future.
no fences

User avatar
Don't Panic
Evil Admin
Evil Admin
Posts: 10653
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:19 am
About me: 100% Pure Evil. (Not from Concentrate)
Location: Luimneach, Eire
Contact:

Re: Plan for moderation of Fiendly Mafia games

Post by Don't Panic » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:03 pm

Charlou wrote:I merged the tea party threads as each day was done with.

Zigmen, I wish you'd said something sooner .. but I'm glad you mentioned it now anyway. I'll leave any merging until the entire game is over in future.
Naughty Charlou, see me in my rooms for your punishment. :naughty:
Gawd wrote:»
And those Zumwalts are already useless, they can be taken out with an ICBM.
The world is a thing of utter inordinate complexity and richness and strangeness that is absolutely awesome. I mean the idea that such complexity can arise not only out of such simplicity, but probably absolutely out of nothing, is the most fabulous extraordinary idea. And once you get some kind of inkling of how that might have happened, it's just wonderful. And . . . the opportunity to spend 70 or 80 years of your life in such a universe is time well spent as far as I am concerned.
D.N.A.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest