Simple Mafia 3.5

Mafia Forum is visible to guests. Please note that game threads are limited to posts by players who are involved in each game. Non-player or derail posts will be moved to a gallery thread.

Moderator: Mafia Mods

Uselesstwit

Re: Simple Mafia 3.5 - Day 4

Post by Uselesstwit » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:44 pm

oblivion wrote:
oblivion wrote:You're welcome, and thanks for playing! These simple games really fascinate me because the outcome so clearly comes down to mafia skills and luck. It seems like the more complexities I add as a GM, the game becomes less dependent on the individual players' skills, performances, and help/hindrance from Lady Luck.
Heh. My insanely complicated DS9 game ended on Tuesday. The first 12 hours worth of discussion was almost entirely griping about my design and the decisions I made as a GM while the game was in progress. People felt (though it's debatable) that the outcome didn't come down to players' skills, performance and luck - that to some extent the outcome was based on choices I made as a GM when faced with unanticipated player decisions and interactions.

It's a fair cop. I should have put a lot more thought into the design of one of the roles.
It's a tough call, a lot of the problem is that an expert level player got that role. If anyone except maybe three people in that game had gotten it, everything would have been fine. But martin played the hell out of it, and I'm not sure anyone else had a chance once he got going.
irretating wrote:you're a genius, UT!

oblivion
Noble Savage

Re: Simple Mafia 3.5 - Day 4

Post by oblivion » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:12 pm

Uselesstwit wrote:
oblivion wrote:
oblivion wrote:You're welcome, and thanks for playing! These simple games really fascinate me because the outcome so clearly comes down to mafia skills and luck. It seems like the more complexities I add as a GM, the game becomes less dependent on the individual players' skills, performances, and help/hindrance from Lady Luck.
Heh. My insanely complicated DS9 game ended on Tuesday. The first 12 hours worth of discussion was almost entirely griping about my design and the decisions I made as a GM while the game was in progress. People felt (though it's debatable) that the outcome didn't come down to players' skills, performance and luck - that to some extent the outcome was based on choices I made as a GM when faced with unanticipated player decisions and interactions.

It's a fair cop. I should have put a lot more thought into the design of one of the roles.
It's a tough call, a lot of the problem is that an expert level player got that role. If anyone except maybe three people in that game had gotten it, everything would have been fine. But martin played the hell out of it, and I'm not sure anyone else had a chance once he got going.
He made more of it than most players would have, including me. But, it still mostly came down to all three of the factions ignoring the singleton indie. It NEVER makes sense to discount an indie. You need to be sure their win condition and their night abilities don't conflict with your own.

I won't be adding any trickster gods to my game for a while after that one. :funny:

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Re: Simple Mafia 3.5

Post by Animavore » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:13 pm

Mantisdreamz wrote:
Animavore wrote: :hehe:
:nono: Never again will I defend you!
:swoon:
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.