Simple Mafia 3

Mafia Forum is visible to guests. Please note that game threads are limited to posts by players who are involved in each game. Non-player or derail posts will be moved to a gallery thread.

Moderator: Mafia Mods

colubridae
Custom Rank: Rank
About me: http://www.essentialart.com/acatalog/Ed ... Stars.html

Re: Simple Mafia - Day 4

Post by colubridae » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:57 pm

oblivion wrote:
colubridae wrote:
oblivion wrote: But, in my experience, when a town player learns that he/she was blocked, it is to town's advantage more than scum's advantage for the blocked player to out. The thing is, you don't have to out as a special to do that. "Someone tried to block me last night." is all that is needed. If the blocker is town, then he/she now knows that blocked players learn about the block, which can be very valuable.
Is it a smart move for scum to claim early that they have been blocked?
Any time I learn I was blocked, I say so in my first post of the day. I don't care what my role is. If I were scum and my kill didn't happen as a result of me being blocked, saying so first thing like that could cause suspicion to fall elsewhere.

I almost got lynched once because the GM forgot to send me a PM to let me know I was blocked. I was town. The blocker was town, and someone else had revealed they'd been blocked the day before. It was the GM's fault that I didn't know I'd been blocked and she had to try and make that right by posting in the game thread without clearing me as town in the process. Tricky.

Another tricky thing is that not all GMs notify players that they were blocked. The role blocker is working blind unless someone speaks up about being blocked. The first time I was a town blocker the players didn't learn they had been blocked. When I outed at endgame, I was suspect at first because none of my blocks had stopped a kill and nobody I'd blocked could corroborate my story.
gotcha. but I meant even if they haven't? Does it throw an effective spanner in the works?
I have a well balanced personality. I've got chips on both shoulders

oblivion
Noble Savage

Post by oblivion » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:08 pm

colubridae wrote:
oblivion wrote:
colubridae wrote:
oblivion wrote: But, in my experience, when a town player learns that he/she was blocked, it is to town's advantage more than scum's advantage for the blocked player to out. The thing is, you don't have to out as a special to do that. "Someone tried to block me last night." is all that is needed. If the blocker is town, then he/she now knows that blocked players learn about the block, which can be very valuable.
Any time I learn I was blocked, I say so in my first post of the day. I don't care what my role is. If I were scum and my kill didn't happen as a result of me being blocked, saying so first thing like that could cause suspicion to fall elsewhere.

I almost got lynched once because the GM forgot to send me a PM to let me know I was blocked. I was town. The blocker was town, and someone else had revealed they'd been blocked the day before. It was the GM's fault that I didn't know I'd been blocked and she had to try and make that right by posting in the game thread without clearing me as town in the process. Tricky.

Another tricky thing is that not all GMs notify players that they were blocked. The role blocker is working blind unless someone speaks up about being blocked. The first time I was a town blocker the players didn't learn they had been blocked. When I outed at endgame, I was suspect at first because none of my blocks had stopped a kill and nobody I'd blocked could corroborate my story.
gotcha. but I meant even if they haven't? Does it throw an effective spanner in the works?
Yes, it can throw quite a spanner in the works. If a scum player looks like he may get lynched, he may choose to fake-out as a special. Fake-outing a block is another possible tactic, especially if the scum player thinks there might be a role blocker. By claiming he was blocked, he might get the real blocker to give himself away.

e.g.:

scum: "I was blocked last night"
blocker: "vote <scum player>"
Assorted town players: "Wait, what? Why are you voting for <scum>?"
blocker thinks oh shit...
scum team thinks gotcha

colubridae
Custom Rank: Rank
About me: http://www.essentialart.com/acatalog/Ed ... Stars.html

Post by colubridae » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:13 pm

oblivion wrote:
colubridae wrote:
oblivion wrote:
colubridae wrote:

Yes, it can throw quite a spanner in the works. If a scum player looks like he may get lynched, he may choose to fake-out as a special. Fake-outing a block is another possible tactic, especially if the scum player thinks there might be a role blocker. By claiming he was blocked, he might get the real blocker to give himself away.

e.g.:

scum: "I was blocked last night"
blocker: "vote <scum player>"
Assorted town players: "Wait, what? Why are you voting for <scum>?"
blocker thinks oh shit...
scum team thinks gotcha
oooh nasty
I have a well balanced personality. I've got chips on both shoulders

higgs2

Post by higgs2 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:11 pm

oblivion wrote:When higgs2 made this post late day 3 I figured it was too late for town to follow up.
Subject: Simple Mafia 3 - Day 3
higgs2 wrote:Okay, well if you're not scum and ghat is not scum and I'm not scum that leaves

Charlou
mantisdreamz
Normal

I'm beginning to think Charlou is seeming less scummy. So that leaves manis and normal.

Which one? Or are you locking in your vote on me?

If you have time why don't you go check those two out.
then, in the very next post she said she'd keep her vote on ghat.

Too little, too late.
I had to go to bed. I was tired. But the reasonI was thinking charlou was less scummy was because I suspected she was a special. I didn't want to say that to zigmen because it would make her vulnerable to nk. Better me than her. Should have taken my vote off ghat though.
Badass Elf

higgs2

Post by higgs2 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:14 pm

Animavore wrote:I told you who to vote for on day 2 and why. You should've followed my lead instead of Zigmen's bizarre logic. My plan was unambiguous.

:tea:
You p. much screwed up what was left of the game with your lying.

:coffee:
Badass Elf

higgs2

Post by higgs2 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:15 pm

Charlou wrote:
Uselesstwit wrote:well done, scum. Sorry I couldn't be around to help more. Damn that vig.

I would like to know, what I did that made you kill me on night one.
Because you switched your mayor vote from Higgs to me for a rather feeble reason. Simple as that. The switch also made me suspicious of Higgs. Wrongly as it turns out. heh.

Big DITTO on the thanks to oblivion. :flowers: :cheers:
THat is what made me fos him at the end of the night too. Good shot.
Badass Elf

higgs2

Post by higgs2 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:19 pm

Animavore wrote:
oblivion wrote: In this case, Town seemed mostly convinced that Ani was the seer, but chose to send a message even though it could potentially harm Town in this game. Ani, I hope that's not lost on you, because Town choosing to lessen their own chances of a win in order to tell a player they're way out of line is not something done lightly.
It's stupid if you ask me. They should of followed my flash of brilliance and voted Normal, who put up no resistance to the plans, along with me. I was disgusted to find out I was dead that next morning. I don't like playing by boring rules. If town can't see a ploy when it's right in front of them then they don't deserve a win.
If you hadn't been lynched, scum would most likely have nk'd you. You did not seem brilliant by lying about your view, revealing your role day 2, and getting another special to reveal as well.
Badass Elf

higgs2

Re: Simple Mafia 3 - Day 4

Post by higgs2 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:20 pm

I'm pissed at myself too because I started to go after mantis then found out she didn't have internet and dropped it.
Badass Elf

higgs2

Post by higgs2 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:21 pm

Feck wrote:I suck at playing town :cry:
no you don't. You're getting it.
Badass Elf

higgs2

Post by higgs2 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:25 pm

Magicziggy wrote:Thanks Oblivion,

You're dead right about me highlighting my role. I wanted to highlight the fact that role blockers were part of the game. Noted.

I did feel the pressure to vote ani based on lynching liars. Seems reasonable if it happens again.

I was entirely convinved that Ghat was town because of the semi-call for a restart. I wonder how well that would work to stave off an attack he were actually scum.

There is no metion of zigmen and Higgs. I found their by-play quite confusing and made me feel that it was one or the other, or a very intricate double scum play. They were never able to convince each other and that was a problem for town. I would have shot Higgs if i had been vig on night 3.
There was no chance that I could have convinced zigmen and in retrospect I regret trying. It was just more noise. I can see why it was confusing.
Badass Elf

higgs2

Post by higgs2 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:29 pm

Magicziggy wrote:I hope we all now know what a role blocker is and does.

By the end of Day 2 I was convinced of the following.

Ghat was town -( I got one thing right)
Either or both Zigmen / Higgs2 were scum

I was also convinced that one of the above three were the vig based on the hit on useless.
So I had to pick another who looked scummy to block on night 2 if i wanted to avoid the vig.
Feck ended up ticking more boxes and Useless FOS on him was the clincher.

Ani - I love you man. :cheers:
That was smart thinking about trying not to block the vig, which could be a disaster.
Badass Elf

higgs2

Post by higgs2 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:37 pm

Good job scum, Thanks Oblivion!

That was one of the most irritating games I have ever played, but I am going away from it having learned some valuable information.
Badass Elf

higgs2

Post by higgs2 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:42 pm

Oh, here's something else too. How was scum making nk decisions? I thought maybe scum would kill someone else besides zigmen or me figuring that we would probably lynch each other for them the next day. I guess that would have been charlou. Why dp the first night (maybe I missed this, I'll go back and look).

Also, ani fingering normal was probably the reason I discounted him until the end of the game.
Badass Elf

Azathoth
blind idiot god
blind idiot god

Post by Azathoth » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:05 pm

That was pretty inevitable. Thanks Oblivion
Outside the ordered universe is that amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity—the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Code: Select all

// Replaces with spaces the braces in cases where braces in places cause stasis 
   $str = str_replace(array("\{","\}")," ",$str);

oblivion
Noble Savage

Re: Simple Mafia 3.5 Sign-up

Post by oblivion » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:40 pm

There was good play and bad play on town's side in this game. I still think higgs2 and Charlou catching Uselesstwit on day 1/night 1 was the high point for town.