Simple Mafia 2 Archive

Mafia Forum is visible to guests. Please note that game threads are limited to posts by players who are involved in each game. Non-player or derail posts will be moved to a gallery thread.

Moderator: Mafia Mods

higgs2

Re: Simple Mafia 2 - Day 5

Post by higgs2 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:33 am

Wow, ghat's 2nd day was kind of ironic. Virphen made a good call to nk ghat.
Badass Elf

virphen
About me: "that fairy-fingering ass-raping space lizard"

One year own my home planet = 3 on earth.

Post by virphen » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:37 am

higgs2 wrote:Wow, ghat's 2nd day was kind of ironic. Virphen made a good call to nk ghat.
Just an extremely lucky one.

Well done higgs. Bad luck town... lynching me was such a mistake... :shifty:

oblivion
Noble Savage

Post by oblivion » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:40 am

I imagine after two games you're starting to see that it's alot easier to say "town, stop doing scummy looking stuff" than it is to actually stop doing scummy looking stuff. But, as long as town players are looking kinda scummy, there is room for the scum players to hide.

It may feel like not having a scum don is a huge handicap, but it usually isn't. Even with a seer, 1 or more scum are almost sure to go through the game without being viewed. And it's up to vanilla town to find them, and not give them a whole lot of play in the rope.

irretating
not too sweet to sledge

Post by irretating » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:41 am

virphen wrote:
higgs2 wrote:Wow, ghat's 2nd day was kind of ironic. Virphen made a good call to nk ghat.
Just an extremely lucky one.

Well done higgs. Bad luck town... lynching me was such a mistake... :shifty:
Yes, I feel badly about that :what:

higgs2

Post by higgs2 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:53 am

Thank you, oblivion, for running this series of games! They are harder to play than one might think, and we're fortunate that you are willing to be the gm. You rock!
Badass Elf

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:03 am

So, Feck was right all along. :eddy:

That was a most interesting game and very useful to me as a relative newcomer. In hindsight, I'd play my role differently ... I didn't have to out myself when I did, as my role would have been revealed if I were hit that night anyway, so I could have been a bit less obvious, on the off chance that I would get through another night and the opportunity to view another player in, at least. The fact that higgs was onto me, and made supportive noises was a good ploy, among others, on his part ... oh, yes indeedy, well played, higgs. :td: :mrgreen:
no fences

oblivion
Noble Savage

Post by oblivion » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:08 am

I wanted to talk about a couple of things that happened in this game that are a little unusual, but are great experience because they do happen.

When I gm a regular game, I always have a couple of extra roles worked out in case of late sign ups or a goof with the role PMs. I do this so that people don't learn to expect that a late PM is bound to be vanilla town.

But, in these tiny games I can't do that. If I mess up a PM (which I did), I have to give the person the role I had originally planned for them, or I have to leave the player out.

I am not all that familiar with PHPbb. I'm much more experienced with the quirks of vbulletin. I didn't notice that I got an error message when I tried to send a pm to 7 vanilla players at once, and two players were automatically taken off the list when I hit submit again: Uselesstwit and Twinkie. Twinkie said something in-thread and Uselesstwit pmed me to find out why he didn't get a PM. What this meant was that Uselesstwit was pretty much convinced that Twinkie was town. And that did play into the way the game unfolded. At the time, I didn't think scum would be able to overcome a game with a half-cleared player.

But, as this game proves, never say never.

The other thing I wanted to mention was a strategy that town could have taken on day 5. There were 4 players left and you knew that only one of them was scum or the game would already be over. This is one of the very few circumstances in which it can make sense for town players to vote no lynch. Doing so would have had 2 effects - you would get information from the choice of night kill, since the scum player would have to try to set up the best possible town line-up for the next day. And, the two remaining town players would have 2 choices for lynch instead of 3 choices the next day.

On night 4, Uselesstwit was the kill. This was significant - who was he most suspicious of going into night 4? The final scum player went for the mayor and the most dangerous remaining town player. But, His suspicions of higgs2 could have been a huge ah ha for you guys today.

Uselesstwit

Post by Uselesstwit » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:14 am

Well played scum. Especially higgs, you blended in very well. Of course this means that you shot me! I'll be repaying the favor at the soonest opportunity.
irretating wrote:you're a genius, UT!

oblivion
Noble Savage

Post by oblivion » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:16 am

Charlou wrote:So, Feck was right all along. :eddy:

That was a most interesting game and very useful to me as a relative newcomer. In hindsight, I'd play my role differently ... I didn't have to out myself when I did, as my role would have been revealed if I were hit that night anyway, so I could have been a bit less obvious, on the off chance that I would get through another night and the opportunity to view another player in, at least. The fact that higgs was onto me, and made supportive noises was a good ploy, among others, on his part ... oh, yes indeedy, well played, higgs. :td: :mrgreen:
It's a very fine line, leaving enough clues for town to put together after the fact without standing out as the seer to scum. I'm usually pretty good at sussing the seer leaving clues whether I am town or scum. When I am town I will find ways to support the seer and maybe get one of their scum views lynched before they out. When I'm scum, I usually pretend I don't see what's going on in-thread, and will set them up for a night kill instead. Especially if the doctor is still in the game. Higgs had the luxury of supporting you in-thread because ghat had already been NKed. I'm not sure if she would have been that obviously "helping" you if ghat had been in the game still. If I were seer, the player I was sure had figured me out would go to the top of my list of people to view, just in case!

Feck

Post by Feck » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:20 am

:coffee:

Thanks Oblivion Higgs :Erasb:
:hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog:
Give me the wine , I don't need the bread

virphen
About me: "that fairy-fingering ass-raping space lizard"

One year own my home planet = 3 on earth.

Post by virphen » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:22 am

oblivion wrote:At the time, I didn't think scum would be able to overcome a game with a half-cleared player.
That turned into a massive advantage for us, if anything. It gave us the ability to distract and also compromise the best scum-sniffer town had.

And we needed something like that after losing Col so early.

higgs2

Post by higgs2 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:23 am

Uselesstwit wrote:Well played scum. Especially higgs, you blended in very well. Of course this means that you shot me! I'll be repaying the favor at the soonest opportunity.
Would you have tried to get me lynched if I hadn't shot you? Who was your top suspect?
Badass Elf

Uselesstwit

Post by Uselesstwit » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:24 am

I'd also like to thank everyone for not lynching me on day 2. I don't know why you didn't I was flailing like mad.

Uselesstwit

Post by Uselesstwit » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:26 am

higgs2 wrote:
Uselesstwit wrote:Well played scum. Especially higgs, you blended in very well. Of course this means that you shot me! I'll be repaying the favor at the soonest opportunity.
Would you have tried to get me lynched if I hadn't shot you? Who was your top suspect?
You were, that's why I made the comment about not liking the tie between twinkie and normal. I was hoping that would be enough to give a hint, but maybe little enough not to panic you into offing me that night. Looking back, I should have just flat out said it and hoped I had enough credibility left after my halfassed game for people to believe me.

oblivion
Noble Savage

Post by oblivion » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:31 am

It's usually a race for scum to get the player(s) closest to figuring out the scum players out of the game asap. In some games, scum leave a trail of players facepalming just hours or even minutes too late to do something about the dawning realizations.