Simple Mafia 2 Archive

Mafia Forum is visible to guests. Please note that game threads are limited to posts by players who are involved in each game. Non-player or derail posts will be moved to a gallery thread.

Moderator: Mafia Mods

higgs2

Re: Simple Mafia 2 - Day 5

Post by higgs2 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:33 am

oblivion wrote:
Charlou wrote:So, Feck was right all along. :eddy:

That was a most interesting game and very useful to me as a relative newcomer. In hindsight, I'd play my role differently ... I didn't have to out myself when I did, as my role would have been revealed if I were hit that night anyway, so I could have been a bit less obvious, on the off chance that I would get through another night and the opportunity to view another player in, at least. The fact that higgs was onto me, and made supportive noises was a good ploy, among others, on his part ... oh, yes indeedy, well played, higgs. :td: :mrgreen:
It's a very fine line, leaving enough clues for town to put together after the fact without standing out as the seer to scum. I'm usually pretty good at sussing the seer leaving clues whether I am town or scum. When I am town I will find ways to support the seer and maybe get one of their scum views lynched before they out. When I'm scum, I usually pretend I don't see what's going on in-thread, and will set them up for a night kill instead. Especially if the doctor is still in the game. Higgs had the luxury of supporting you in-thread because ghat had already been NKed. I'm not sure if she would have been that obviously "helping" you if ghat had been in the game still. If I were seer, the player I was sure had figured me out would go to the top of my list of people to view, just in case!
You're right about having the doc killed, made things a lot easier. I considered leaving her alive another night since she seemed so supportive of me, but I decided not to take the chance. Once I realized she had viewed virphen I knew that he had to be lynched, because once she was nk'd people would go back and see that she knew he was scum. I couldn't nk her and leave virphen, we couldn't have me be n'kd and leave virphen and charlou...
Badass Elf

higgs2

Post by higgs2 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:34 am

Uselesstwit wrote:
higgs2 wrote:
Uselesstwit wrote:Well played scum. Especially higgs, you blended in very well. Of course this means that you shot me! I'll be repaying the favor at the soonest opportunity.
Would you have tried to get me lynched if I hadn't shot you? Who was your top suspect?
You were, that's why I made the comment about not liking the tie between twinkie and normal. I was hoping that would be enough to give a hint, but maybe little enough not to panic you into offing me that night. Looking back, I should have just flat out said it and hoped I had enough credibility left after my halfassed game for people to believe me.
I figured. I had considered leaving you so that it wouldn't look weird that I was still left -- the cleared mayor was left too. But I had a feeling you were on to me.

eta and it ended up that it didn't seem weird for me to be at end game. I think feck would have had something to say though, I was so relieved to end the game before I had to argue with him.
Last edited by higgs2 on Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Badass Elf

higgs2

Post by higgs2 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:36 am

Uselesstwit wrote:Well played scum. Especially higgs, you blended in very well. Of course this means that you shot me! I'll be repaying the favor at the soonest opportunity.
Only if it makes sense I hope.
Badass Elf

Feck

Post by Feck » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:40 am

I tried hard to get Higgs but nobody would listen ..I was right I shouldn't have changed my mind and I should have picked up that the Charlou day incriminated Higgs more not less .
:hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog:
Give me the wine , I don't need the bread

higgs2

Post by higgs2 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:43 am

oblivion wrote:I wanted to talk about a couple of things that happened in this game that are a little unusual, but are great experience because they do happen.

When I gm a regular game, I always have a couple of extra roles worked out in case of late sign ups or a goof with the role PMs. I do this so that people don't learn to expect that a late PM is bound to be vanilla town.

But, in these tiny games I can't do that. If I mess up a PM (which I did), I have to give the person the role I had originally planned for them, or I have to leave the player out.

I am not all that familiar with PHPbb. I'm much more experienced with the quirks of vbulletin. I didn't notice that I got an error message when I tried to send a pm to 7 vanilla players at once, and two players were automatically taken off the list when I hit submit again: Uselesstwit and Twinkie. Twinkie said something in-thread and Uselesstwit pmed me to find out why he didn't get a PM. What this meant was that Uselesstwit was pretty much convinced that Twinkie was town. And that did play into the way the game unfolded. At the time, I didn't think scum would be able to overcome a game with a half-cleared player.

But, as this game proves, never say never.

The other thing I wanted to mention was a strategy that town could have taken on day 5. There were 4 players left and you knew that only one of them was scum or the game would already be over. This is one of the very few circumstances in which it can make sense for town players to vote no lynch. Doing so would have had 2 effects - you would get information from the choice of night kill, since the scum player would have to try to set up the best possible town line-up for the next day. And, the two remaining town players would have 2 choices for lynch instead of 3 choices the next day.

On night 4, Uselesstwit was the kill. This was significant - who was he most suspicious of going into night 4? The final scum player went for the mayor and the most dangerous remaining town player. But, His suspicions of higgs2 could have been a huge ah ha for you guys today.
That explains a lot, I could not figure out why virphen and twinkie were so sure about that role clearing her. And my insistence on how the roles were sent out should have made at least 5 if not all townies know that I was scum for sure because I didn't know that the town role was sent to multiple people. That could have been my downfall for sure, huge mistake on my part.
Badass Elf

virphen
About me: "that fairy-fingering ass-raping space lizard"

One year own my home planet = 3 on earth.

Post by virphen » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:45 am

higgs2 wrote: That explains a lot, I could not figure out why virphen and twinkie were so sure about that role clearing her. And my insistence on how the roles were sent out should have made at least 5 if not all townies know that I was scum for sure because I didn't know that the town role was sent to multiple people. That could have been my downfall for sure, huge mistake on my part.
No, they would have all been BCCed on the PM, there is no way they could have known they were receiving a group PM.

I am surprised people didn't realise the ramifications of that. There was no way on earth that oblivion would have forgotten to PM the scum team. And it was also extremely unlikely Twinkie was a special.

higgs2

Post by higgs2 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:47 am

Oh, also about nk'ing useless, he also had feck and maybe one of the others on his list with me. I was planning to blame them.
Badass Elf

oblivion
Noble Savage

Post by oblivion » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:47 am

higgs2 wrote:
oblivion wrote:I wanted to talk about a couple of things that happened in this game that are a little unusual, but are great experience because they do happen.

When I gm a regular game, I always have a couple of extra roles worked out in case of late sign ups or a goof with the role PMs. I do this so that people don't learn to expect that a late PM is bound to be vanilla town.

But, in these tiny games I can't do that. If I mess up a PM (which I did), I have to give the person the role I had originally planned for them, or I have to leave the player out.

I am not all that familiar with PHPbb. I'm much more experienced with the quirks of vbulletin. I didn't notice that I got an error message when I tried to send a pm to 7 vanilla players at once, and two players were automatically taken off the list when I hit submit again: Uselesstwit and Twinkie. Twinkie said something in-thread and Uselesstwit pmed me to find out why he didn't get a PM. What this meant was that Uselesstwit was pretty much convinced that Twinkie was town. And that did play into the way the game unfolded. At the time, I didn't think scum would be able to overcome a game with a half-cleared player.

But, as this game proves, never say never.

The other thing I wanted to mention was a strategy that town could have taken on day 5. There were 4 players left and you knew that only one of them was scum or the game would already be over. This is one of the very few circumstances in which it can make sense for town players to vote no lynch. Doing so would have had 2 effects - you would get information from the choice of night kill, since the scum player would have to try to set up the best possible town line-up for the next day. And, the two remaining town players would have 2 choices for lynch instead of 3 choices the next day.

On night 4, Uselesstwit was the kill. This was significant - who was he most suspicious of going into night 4? The final scum player went for the mayor and the most dangerous remaining town player. But, His suspicions of higgs2 could have been a huge ah ha for you guys today.
That explains a lot, I could not figure out why virphen and twinkie were so sure about that role clearing her. And my insistence on how the roles were sent out should have made at least 5 if not all townies know that I was scum for sure because I didn't know that the town role was sent to multiple people. That could have been my downfall for sure, huge mistake on my part.
Nope. Sometimes I do it that way and sometimes I don't. In this game I bcced all the town together at once (except the two that were auto-removed), but none of the vanilla town players would have known that. In my usual games, where all players have role names, each PM is a lovingly handcrafted work of art.

From here on out, I won't be using the ratz software's bcc feature to save time.

Mantisdreamz

Post by Mantisdreamz » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:49 am

Higgs2?!?!

Wow, well - well done to your team. By virphen voting for her first thing the other day - good move. That was what pretty much sealed it for me. I thought for sure that he was trying to convict you - as an innocent player.

Geez... it was only the 1st and 2nd day that I suspected you... but after that, the suspicion was completely gone.

And good play higgs on playing up the virphen & Twinkie thing. Actually, that added a lot of confusion into the mix.

At the beginning I didn't think that Feck was suspicious. Even voting him. But - he looked more suspicious than you higgs. So, very well played.

Haha, and here I was all excited that we had actually all agreed on Feck.

Good game guys :td: Thanks oblivion. :)

higgs2

Post by higgs2 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:50 am

virphen wrote:
higgs2 wrote: That explains a lot, I could not figure out why virphen and twinkie were so sure about that role clearing her. And my insistence on how the roles were sent out should have made at least 5 if not all townies know that I was scum for sure because I didn't know that the town role was sent to multiple people. That could have been my downfall for sure, huge mistake on my part.
No, they would have all been BCCed on the PM, there is no way they could have known they were receiving a group PM.

I am surprised people didn't realise the ramifications of that. There was no way on earth that oblivion would have forgotten to PM the scum team. And it was also extremely unlikely Twinkie was a special.

Oh of course, I said that in the game, that there wouldn't be a multiple pm for town because then they'd know who was town. duh. I can't think about this anymore lol! Why do you say it was extremely likely that Twinkie was a special?

eta the game is over and I'm still second guessing myself and everything else! It can drive you crazy.
Last edited by higgs2 on Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Badass Elf

virphen

Post by virphen » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:52 am

higgs2 wrote: Oh of course, I said that in the game, that there wouldn't be a multiple pm for town because then they'd know who was town. duh. I can't think about this anymore lol! Why do you say it was extremely likely that Twinkie was a special?
Unlikely not likely, because I'd be willing to bet that oblivion PMed scum first, specials next, vanilla last.

higgs2

Post by higgs2 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:53 am

virphen wrote:
higgs2 wrote: Oh of course, I said that in the game, that there wouldn't be a multiple pm for town because then they'd know who was town. duh. I can't think about this anymore lol! Why do you say it was extremely likely that Twinkie was a special?
Unlikely not likely, because I'd be willing to bet that oblivion PMed scum first, specials next, vanilla last.
Sorry, misquoted. I still don't get that. How can you be so sure?
Badass Elf

virphen

Post by virphen » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:55 am

higgs2 wrote: Sorry, misquoted. I still don't get that. How can you be so sure?
Through thinking of what a GM does when designing the roles and sending out the PMs.

irretating
not too sweet to sledge

Post by irretating » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:59 am

virphen wrote:
Through thinking of what a GM does when designing the roles and sending out the PMs.
Yes. Oblivion PM'd me, telling me I'd outed myself as vanilla town, and I was embarrassed at my stupid mistake. It was the focus of the game, and a huge distraction for me. I didn't want to get any leverage from my mistake.

higgs2

Post by higgs2 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:00 am

virphen wrote:
Oh, I see. You have a bit of an edge over those of us who haven't been gm's don't you! We should be able to handicap you for that somehow. :)
Badass Elf