Darkover Mafia Game Thread

Mafia Forum is visible to guests. Please note that game threads are limited to posts by players who are involved in each game. Non-player or derail posts will be moved to a gallery thread.

Moderator: Mafia Mods

oblivion
Noble Savage

Re: Darkover Mafia - Day Zero Results

Post by oblivion » Thu May 12, 2011 3:53 am

To make the day zero results easier to find. It's an unusual role, especially as a revealed role, and I want the vote info to be easy to find.

Zigmen

Re: Darkover Mafia - Day 1

Post by Zigmen » Thu May 12, 2011 3:53 am

I voted Aza because I can't read him well and I want him viewed.

I almost voted Athene for the same reason but decided against.
~Three of a Perfect Pair~

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Thu May 12, 2011 4:12 am

Zigmen wrote:I voted Aza because I can't read him well and I want him viewed.

I know a few players advocate this rationale for voting in a mayor, too .. but really, you're voting to give someone additional power in a game, just because you think they'll then be viewed and we'll learn their alignment? This assumption always ignores the possibility of a Don role. It also assumes a cop/seer exists, and that they will be directed by your rationale for voting in the regent.

Needless to say, I disagree with the rationale ... but as I said, it seems to be a popular one, so not necessarily a notably scummish one.
no fences

Zigmen

Post by Zigmen » Thu May 12, 2011 4:28 am

charlou wrote:

I know a few players advocate this rationale for voting in a mayor, too .. but really, you're voting to give someone additional power in a game, just because you think they'll then be viewed and we'll learn their alignment? This assumption always ignores the possibility of a Don role. It also assumes a cop/seer exists, and that they will be directed by your rationale for voting in the regent.

Needless to say, I disagree with the rationale ... but as I said, it seems to be a popular one, so not necessarily a notably scummish one.
There's one main reason that this tactic is supposed to work. If we can assume that a mayor gets viewed N1 like they're supposed to, and the Seer gets killed before they out, we can safely assume the mayor is cleared.

Of course, there's always an occasional Seer who screws this up, or, screws up by viewing the Mayor as Scum and doesnt out immediately, but that's pretty rare in a game where we're all pretty much good at playing.

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Thu May 12, 2011 4:31 am

Zigmen wrote:
charlou wrote:

There's one main reason that this tactic is supposed to work. If we can assume that a mayor gets viewed N1 like they're supposed to, and the Seer gets killed before they out, we can safely assume the mayor is cleared.

Of course, there's always an occasional Seer who screws this up, or, screws up by viewing the Mayor as Scum and doesnt out immediately, but that's pretty rare in a game where we're all pretty much good at playing.
This still assumes there's a seer, that the seer will go along with viewing the mayor, and that there's no Don.
no fences

Zigmen

Post by Zigmen » Thu May 12, 2011 4:41 am

charlou wrote:This still assumes there's a seer, that the seer will go along with viewing the mayor, and that there's no Don.
Again, and to be clear, I said "If."

In a game full of noobs, I would not make any assumptions at all.

But, if the Seer gets killed before outing, there's your guarantee there was a Seer.

If players do what they're supposed to do, we can assume the Mayor viewed as Town.

I realize now that I did say "cleared," but my meaning is more accurately stated as "viewed as Town."

This debate has been hashed and rehashed many times. I learned at TR, where Seers can get thrashed for screwing up this tactic, so I take it seriously enough to mayor-vote someone I'd like to have viewed.

Uselesstwit

Post by Uselesstwit » Thu May 12, 2011 4:46 am

I vote mantis because I think she's one of the better players here and I usually look to her for insights so she's a good choice. She also is hard for me to read and it's a good idea for her to be viewed early. Char, why are you riding this idea now? First off I can't remember the last game we didn't have a seer so that's pretty much moot. As to the don, it doesn't matter, there are still people that we'd like to have viewed even with that chance out there. I like the idea that people get a say on at least one of the seer's view and as zigmen says it's an assumption that if the seer follows it we don't have to second guess the mayor until it starts to look like there might be a don. I'd say it's even more important than normal in this game. a lynch veto is huge compared with the two votes normal.
irretating wrote:you're a genius, UT!

Uselesstwit

Post by Uselesstwit » Thu May 12, 2011 4:48 am

I do kind of question the votes for aza though, he's been very afk the last few times, even having to have been subbed out once. That seems an odd person to put forward with a power role.
irretating wrote:you're a genius, UT!

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Thu May 12, 2011 5:00 am

Uselesstwit wrote:I vote mantis because I think she's one of the better players here and I usually look to her for insights so she's a good choice. She also is hard for me to read and it's a good idea for her to be viewed early. Char, why are you riding this idea now? First off I can't remember the last game we didn't have a seer so that's pretty much moot. As to the don, it doesn't matter, there are still people that we'd like to have viewed even with that chance out there. I like the idea that people get a say on at least one of the seer's view and as zigmen says it's an assumption that if the seer follows it we don't have to second guess the mayor until it starts to look like there might be a don. I'd say it's even more important than normal in this game. a lynch veto is huge compared with the two votes normal.
It assumes too much, is what I'm concerned about. But as I said, many seem to think it's a valid rationale, so I'll drop it.
no fences

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Thu May 12, 2011 5:03 am

Uselesstwit wrote:I do kind of question the votes for aza though, he's been very afk the last few times, even having to have been subbed out once. That seems an odd person to put forward with a power role.
Good point.
no fences

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Thu May 12, 2011 5:04 am

He did run a game recently, though.
no fences

Mantisdreamz

Post by Mantisdreamz » Thu May 12, 2011 5:28 am

Uselesstwit wrote:I do kind of question the votes for aza though, he's been very afk the last few times, even having to have been subbed out once. That seems an odd person to put forward with a power role.
I voted Linus for the very reason that when he played on here last time, he was very present. I thought he'd be a good choice, since he'd most likely be around to veto a vote if he felt necessary... and he seems logical.

Now it wasn't quite clear -- but, Aza is Regent for just this one day? or for the rest of the game? -- and if not, then it looks like we're not voting for a mayor, and he just acts upon the 1st lynching.

Speaking of.... i've got nothing right now.

Bolero
About me: Free

Post by Bolero » Thu May 12, 2011 6:20 am

I voted UT because in the games I've played with him, he always seems incredibly sensible. He often makes canny observations, and I've rarely seen him let fly with wild accusations. He plays a good town game. I don't really know what his scum game is like, and mostly I was just stabbing in the dark, but yeah - if he's town, he's a good bloke to have organising stuff.

Still, seeing as I know nothing about anyone at this stage, I guess Aza'a as good as any.
"I wanna exit how I entered: Between two legs."
The Hilltop Hoods.

Bolero
About me: Free

Post by Bolero » Thu May 12, 2011 6:32 am

I'm curious as to who voted for me. Last time I played a town game on here, I sucked! (Promise not to suck this time, guys.)
"I wanna exit how I entered: Between two legs."
The Hilltop Hoods.

Feck

Post by Feck » Thu May 12, 2011 8:22 am

Well I voted Ksen ..for similar reasons that people say they voted for Aza ,but I wanted to put my vote on someone who was less likely to be voted for by others so It would be easier spot the scum landslide . Of course If Scum not only could not talk to each other BUT did not know their team mates before the vote then it makes no difference .
:hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog:
Give me the wine , I don't need the bread