Universal Electric Cars & Vans - the Implications

Give us a seminar, lecture or lesson on what your 'thing' is. Now with our exclusive ASK-A-NERD!!!
NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Re: Universal Electric Cars & Vans - the Implications

Post by NineBerry » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:04 pm

No 100% conversion is required. People living in rural areas can keep their fossil fuel driven vehicles. Most people live in urban areas. A greater percentage will be in the future. Urban has the precondition to switch from individual fossil fuel to individual electric / shared electric / electric bike / bike / public transit.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:20 pm

More people will move into urban areas due to services. The countryside will highly mechanised (it already is in many places).
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:48 pm

It's gonna be epic. The vast majority of ground apes will be crammed into megacities, living in their micro-apartments and eating their algae cakes. Much of the countryside will return to wilderness, because the mechanized protein factories will use a fraction of the land our traditional agricultural techniques require. So those of us who despise urbanization will live in a pristine wilderness, growing our veggies, hunting and fishing, and only taking our flying cars into Megalopolis once a month for supplies. We'll be viewed as quaint throwbacks by homo urbanis, who will pay huge sums to come stay in primitive camps for vacations. I can't wait, let's DO this.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:10 pm

Sadly no. The algae cakes develop a strange bacteria which in turn produces a zombie virus. This infects all the city apes who come careering out of their collapsing megalopolises desperate for the taste of wild human!

For several generations feral humans skulk from shadow to shadow, grasping brief periods of respite, constantly on the alert for their algae zombie predators. Their future looks bleak. They arrive at the point of near extinction...

Then...as humanity is on the brink- a saviour from the future arrives with a cure!

SUPERCRUMPLE saves the day!

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:03 pm

algae cakes are people.

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:29 am

NineBerry wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:04 pm
No 100% conversion is required. People living in rural areas can keep their fossil fuel driven vehicles. Most people live in urban areas. A greater percentage will be in the future. Urban has the precondition to switch from individual fossil fuel to individual electric / shared electric / electric bike / bike / public transit.
That is, until the fossil fuels run out. Fossil fuels are a finite fuel source.

I cannot see any government or corporation reserving or stockpiling fossil fuels (that cannot be replenished) solely for the use of communities in remote areas - even for a limited period. Neither can I see miles and miles of high current/voltage cabling being erected for these communities. An alternative would be to have local power sources: solar, wind, geothermal, whatever.
Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power - Eric Hoffer.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer proof nor do I have to determine absence of proof because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:39 am

But when we are talking about the near future (next 20 years) we need to reduce fossil fuel use dramatically. But we can tolerate it going on for some time in rural areas. It can then in a much further future be replaced by Bio Diesel for example, other forms of renewable fuels like Hydrogen or something else that has to be developed first.

My point was that the argument that "electric is not practicable in the countryside" is not that important.

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:55 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:39 am
A very good analysis of the present day situation replacing fossil fuelled cars with electric ones based on our present technology.
Unfortunately, Scot, we may be stuck with 'present-day' technology for some time to come. Yes, there will be some technological improvements over the coming years, probably in the existing renewable power sources and battery technology.

I do not necessarily believe that technology and invention is an open-ended book as some people seem to think - sometimes something that needs to be done, just cannot be done.

Nuclear fusion could be an example. But, maybe, one day...
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer proof nor do I have to determine absence of proof because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:07 am

NineBerry wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:39 am
But when we are talking about the near future (next 20 years) we need to reduce fossil fuel use dramatically. But we can tolerate it going on for some time in rural areas. It can then in a much further future be replaced by Bio Diesel for example, other forms of renewable fuels like Hydrogen or something else that has to be developed first.

My point was that the argument that "electric is not practicable in the countryside" is not that important.
The 20 years figure was down to our 'wonderful' politicians. Personally, I'm thinking of a much longer time, 40 or 50 years, maybe.

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:28 pm

The Smartphone is just 10 years old and has already changed our society in a way that was not foreseen 20 years ago. How do you want to know what mobility will look like in 40 years?

The task of politicians cannot be to foresee technological development. That is impossible. What they need to do and what is a quite difficult task: Find a way to make saving fuel attractive (by making use of fuel expensive) without harming those people who are dependent on using it (like certain kinds of vehicle and people living in rural areas who cannot move)

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:00 pm

Alan B wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:55 am
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:39 am
A very good analysis of the present day situation replacing fossil fuelled cars with electric ones based on our present technology.
Unfortunately, Scot, we may be stuck with 'present-day' technology for some time to come. Yes, there will be some technological improvements over the coming years, probably in the existing renewable power sources and battery technology.

I do not necessarily believe that technology and invention is an open-ended book as some people seem to think - sometimes something that needs to be done, just cannot be done.

Nuclear fusion could be an example. But, maybe, one day...
Do not entirely agree Alan. Natural gas is already being phased out. Local power sources are being introduced. National power companies will be no longer required. Urban transportation will depend on many options but not the car. Car sharing will be the future for those requiring transport at odd times and going to less serviced places. I am not negative at all about the progress that will be made. It is going very fast well here at least.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:08 pm

I was at congested Yellowstone park a few weeks back. Cars stop anywhere and slow the whole thing down. Yet they have gas stations. I think they must bring the gasoline in at night.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:14 pm

Pipeline?

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:25 pm

Not likely, mountain terrain and geysirs prevent digging. Overground pipe not seen.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Scot Dutchy