Why would I want to install Linux?

Give us a seminar, lecture or lesson on what your 'thing' is. Now with our exclusive ASK-A-NERD!!!
Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Why would I want to install Linux?

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:20 am

I'll have room for a partition and a multiple boot option when I get the big machine fixed. But why should I install Linux?
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Re: Why would I want to install Linux?

Post by Animavore » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:24 am

The main reason I use it is that due to it not running tons of background crap like Windows does it's way faster. You also don't have to worry about viruses so you've no anti-virus slowing you down either.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:40 am

Animavore wrote:The main reason I use it is that due to it not running tons of background crap like Windows does it's way faster. You also don't have to worry about viruses so you've no anti-virus slowing you down either.
Faster at what?

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:40 am

Why would you want to install it? If you were mad, perhaps. Or a geek. That's about it.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:40 am

rEvolutionist wrote:Why would you want to install it? If you were mad, perhaps. Or a geek. That's about it.
:thinks:

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:42 am

There's simply no need to do a dual boot. If you were poor and didn't want to get windows, then you could use linux as a free alternative. But if you've got windows already, there's simply no reason to use Linux unless you are a geek. Although, there are some good free linux games about. I think they are better than the free stuff for windows, but can't be 100% sure about that.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Clinton Huxley
19th century monkeybitch.

Post by Clinton Huxley » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:45 am

Worth putting on an old computer that is chugging under windows. Made Lady H's old netbook usable.
"I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled"

AND MERRY XMAS TO ONE AND All!

Imagehttp://25kv.co.uk/date_counter.php?date ... 20counting!!![/img-sig]

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:45 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Animavore wrote:The main reason I use it is that due to it not running tons of background crap like Windows does it's way faster. You also don't have to worry about viruses so you've no anti-virus slowing you down either.
Faster at what?
Starting up for a start. And starting up programs. Probably a moot point if you've a souped up machine. If you've a ten year-old computer which originally ran XP Linux is going to serve better than Windows 7.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:47 am

I turn all the unnecessary shit off in my windows installs. Runs heaps faster without all the bloatware.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:47 am

Mine beastie is a 64-bit machine run as mumble Gigapoodles.

I think.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:48 am

rEvolutionist wrote:I turn all the unnecessary shit off in my windows installs. Runs heaps faster without all the bloatware.
Yeah, going through a machine early on saves a lot of trouble later.

PsychoSerenity
"I" Self-Perceive Recursively

Post by PsychoSerenity » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:49 am

Not sure to be honest, not as a dual boot on a big machine, unless you were developing something for linux.

I use it on my netbook because it's smaller and makes better use of the tiny old system than XP could.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:52 am

PsychoSerenity wrote:Not sure to be honest, not as a dual boot on a big machine, unless you were developing something for linux.

I use it on my netbook because it's smaller and makes better use of the tiny old system than XP could.
So, for surfing, etc.? Ayaan has a netbook that's still useful, but may need help in the future.

PsychoSerenity
"I" Self-Perceive Recursively

Post by PsychoSerenity » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:00 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
PsychoSerenity wrote:Not sure to be honest, not as a dual boot on a big machine, unless you were developing something for linux.

So, for surfing, etc.? Ayaan has a netbook that's still useful, but may need help in the future.
Yeah, I mainly use it to get on ratz at times when I can't use my PC, but also Skype and having a small computer I can carry around, read pdf's on etc. It can handle most of the basic stuff.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:02 pm

PsychoSerenity wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:

Yeah, I mainly use it to get on ratz at times when I can't use my PC, but also Skype and having a small computer I can carry around, read pdf's on etc. It can handle most of the basic stuff.
Kindle with extras.