Recovery plan for C-drive

Give us a seminar, lecture or lesson on what your 'thing' is. Now with our exclusive ASK-A-NERD!!!
Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Recovery plan for C-drive

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:27 am

The C: drive on my beast has finally given up the ghost. I have recovery disks and the drive is backed up. Here's what I think I should do.

Pull the old drive and put a new one in.

Start the computer with the first recovery disk in the DVD drive to get a "factory install" on C:

When that's done I use the backup drive to return the system to the state it was before the drive crashed.

Is that close to correct?

I won't be doing this before I get back from DC, I imagine.
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Re: Reco I very plan for C:

Post by klr » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:44 am

When you say the drive is backed up, do you have a full image of the drive/some or all of the drive partitions? And with what software is the backup created? :ask:
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:47 am

klr wrote:When you say the drive is backed up, do you have a full image of the drive/some or all of the drive partitions? And with what software is the backup created? :ask:
Full backup, WD archiving software. Dedicated backup drive for C: I also have an "image" of C: somewhere in the beast.

And can somebody fix the subject line please.

klr

Post by klr » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:54 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
klr wrote:When you say the drive is backed up, do you have a full image of the drive/some or all of the drive partitions? And with what software is the backup created? :ask:
Full backup, WD archiving software. Dedicated backup drive for C: I also have an "image" of C: somewhere in the beast.

And can somebody fix the subject line please.
Done, I assumed there was some reason for the original cryptic title. :what:

Anyway, I don't use WD archiving software, even though I'm sure I have it on a couple of my external drives.

What format is the C-drive image in, and what software was used to create it? Is there a recovery disk option for it, and if so, do you have the recovery disk created?

From the way you describe things, I'm assuming you have your physical drive partitioned so that Windows is on the C-drive, and all the data and other good stuff is on the D-drive. That's the way I'd do it.
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Re: Recovery plan for C-drive

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:59 am

Not partitioned, didn't do that when I got this one, and I don't think it would matter because the problem is mechanical.

I have no idea about the format the C-image is in, I can't start the machine. I have the recovery disks, I propose to put the new drive in and reinstall the system from the recovery disk. Then the backup will be run to return the system to the state of the last backup.

klr

Post by klr » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:14 am

In the circumstances, I'd go with your plan as the best option available. However, you should take the earliest opportunity to reorganize your system along the lines I've described - one system partition (C-drive) for Windows, c. 40 GB*, and another partition or two for all the data files. You might even want to do this before restoring all your data files. Being able to back up the system partition separately from the data is the way to go. It means that it's easy to restore it onto the same drive, or to a different one.

*In my experience, that's what you need for Windows 7. For XP, about half that.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:17 am

Why not have the data on a completely separate drive? Speed issues?

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:48 am

The backup with the WD software is likely to be data only, I'd imagine. Therefore, you won't get back your installed programs. The full image you have of your c: drive will have everything (assuming that drive had your OS and programs on it). If you restore from the full image, you don't need to do any recovery stuff (unless the image was captured using Windows Shadow Copy or whatever it is called).
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:16 am

Why would it be only data?

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:40 am

That's usually what that software does (if it's the software that came with a WD external drive). But if it specifically allows a full shadow copy of the drive (i.e. an image) then it will include everything.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:45 am

rEvolutionist wrote:That's usually what that software does (if it's the software that came with a WD external drive). But if it specifically allows a full shadow copy of the drive (i.e. an image) then it will include everything.
I was paranoid when I set the options originally.

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Post by FBM » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:49 am

This fred has motivated me to backup and partition my HD. Unticked the "quick format" option. Read that it's better somehow. In progress... :bored:
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:51 am

FBM wrote:This fred has motivated me to backup and partition my HD. Unticked the "quick format" option. Read that it's better somehow. In progress... :bored:
I'm going to buy a big box of 5.25" floppies and go at it.

Should I buy the high density ones? :thinks:

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:52 am

Oh, and Plan B is to give the whole schmear to someone who knows what the fuck they're doing.

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Post by FBM » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:52 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
FBM wrote:This fred has motivated me to backup and partition my HD. Unticked the "quick format" option. Read that it's better somehow. In progress... :bored:
I'm going to buy a big box of 5.25" floppies and go at it.

Should I buy the high density ones? :thinks:
Erm. Yeah. You do that. :tup:
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."