How do I test my graphics card?

Give us a seminar, lecture or lesson on what your 'thing' is. Now with our exclusive ASK-A-NERD!!!
Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Re: How do I test my graphics card?

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:32 pm

Făkünamę wrote:Yep. They're relative though, so you have to compare them to other results that either ship with the program or are available online. In passmark you can download baselines from their database to compare to - it gives your results in bar chart form with numbers.
When I clicked "compare online" I didn't see my card.
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:37 pm

Second time I got numbers:
furmark.JPG
furmark.JPG (58.78 KiB) Viewed 5298 times
Submission failed.

PsychoSerenity
"I" Self-Perceive Recursively

Post by PsychoSerenity » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:08 pm

Well it looks like it works. :dunno:

The frame rate is slow but then I don't know how that card would normally compare with that test. If that's the temperature it's reaching - 90°C, that's a bit worrying. Make sure it's clear of dust and has good airflow, otherwise it might be limiting itself to protect from overheating.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:31 pm

I have a "Photo Frame" light on. (This is Gateway FX.) I wonder if it's trying to read that slot and using up cycles doing it?

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:40 pm

PsychoSerenity wrote:Odd. Not a problem I've come across before, and I wouldn't expect it to be a problem with the graphics card, but if it had a fault it could be. My normal suggestion for testing graphics cards is swap it with another one, but you have to have another one spare for that.
:this:

The combination of programs you're trying to run together should not stress the graphics system to breaking point. It's not as if they are high-end games or suchlike.
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:47 pm

klr wrote:
PsychoSerenity wrote:Odd. Not a problem I've come across before, and I wouldn't expect it to be a problem with the graphics card, but if it had a fault it could be. My normal suggestion for testing graphics cards is swap it with another one, but you have to have another one spare for that.
:this:

The combination of programs you're trying to run together should not stress the graphics system to breaking point. It's not as if they are high-end games or suchlike.
Can somebody recommend a thorough, and free, system checker?

PsychoSerenity

Post by PsychoSerenity » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:59 pm

I'm not sure such a thing exists. Most tools are quite specific because anything more would be a huge amount of software, and could never properly account for the variability in system set-ups. You normally have to narrow down problems from available clues and test one thing at a time.

Is this a problem that started recently, without any system change you are aware of? Does it happen every time? Does it happen more when working with larger images than smaller ones?
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:00 pm

PsychoSerenity wrote:I'm not sure such a thing exists. Most tools are quite specific because anything more would be a huge amount of software, and could never properly account for the variability in system set-ups. You normally have to narrow down problems from available clues and test one thing at a time.

Is this a problem that started recently, without any system change you are aware of? Does it happen every time? Does it happen more when working with larger images than smaller ones?
Damn straight - on all counts. :tup:
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:05 pm

It's kind of a chronic problem right now, slowly degrading over the past month. Virus checkers don't show anything. No flags in Device Manager, but slower than normal and some problems take forever to load. It gets bad enough I reboot and pick up some performance.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:42 pm

Oh, and I get this every few days.
IMG_20130704_144040_742.jpg

PsychoSerenity

Post by PsychoSerenity » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:50 pm

I would say it's most likely your hard-disk that's dying.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:17 am

PsychoSerenity wrote:I would say it's most likely your hard-disk that's dying.
Yep, that was predicted back when I blew the power-supply. Next month I get a new one and fix it up.

Can you partion a 3T drive and clone C: to that partition? I have a 3T internal with space for this.

PsychoSerenity

Post by PsychoSerenity » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:57 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
PsychoSerenity wrote:I would say it's most likely your hard-disk that's dying.
Yep, that was predicted back when I blew the power-supply. Next month I get a new one and fix it up.

Can you partion a 3T drive and clone C: to that partition? I have a 3T internal with space for this.
It sounds plausible, but I have no experience of doing anything like that.

I was also wanting to say I have seen similar symptoms before that have been completely fixed by a fresh install of windows, so that's certainly worth a try before ditching the HD, and there's also CheckDisk which might be able to find and fix some problems - though if the disk is physically on it's way out this may only be a temporary improvement.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:05 pm

I have recovery disks. But would I loose my installed programs?

And would running chkdsk help?

PsychoSerenity

Post by PsychoSerenity » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:18 pm

Yeah I think recovery disks normally reset everything to the point they were made - but I'm not sure, I've never really used them and I think there may be different sorts including ones that can fix system errors without resetting everything. You'd have to look into what you've got.

CheckDisk can in theory attempt to recover data from, and prevent future use of, damaged sectors on the hard-disk, - so definitely worth a try.