What kind of video card?

Give us a seminar, lecture or lesson on what your 'thing' is. Now with our exclusive ASK-A-NERD!!!
Clinton Huxley
19th century monkeybitch.

Re: What kind of video card?

Post by Clinton Huxley » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:48 am

You need to be careful of sodomised electrons
"I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled"

AND MERRY XMAS TO ONE AND All!

Imagehttp://25kv.co.uk/date_counter.php?date ... 20counting!!![/img-sig]

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:52 am

Now, back to the question I posed earlier, will that card do the trick?
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well
About me: Move along. Nothing to see here.

Post by rasetsu » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:02 pm

Get one with a DVI and a DSUB (otherwise known as VGA or SVGA). Most cards that come with DVI come with a DVI to VGA adapter, but not always. (And there are several different DVI types, so it's safest if you buy one that includes the adapter, but if you need help matching to an adapter, just yell. You didn't say whether this machine uses AGP or PCIE graphics cards. If you don't know, front me more specific details on the model of Compaq. (Or research what the connectors to the motherboards look like; AGP and PCIE motherboard connectors are different, though I forget the most obvious differences off the top of my head. So why don't I just go grab a couple video cards and look at them? I don't know. And why am I talking to myself? I did not. Liar! Slut! Okay, from the edge of the slot at the back of the case to the first set of pins on an AGP card is about 7 cm, and for a PCIE card it's about 4.5 cm [and there's a tab before the first electrical pins on the PCIE card. You can find more detail on the web. If it's AGP, I've got old cards that are pretty much junk to me and may be able to donate one.)

I'm looking at the cheap HD 5450 pcie cards at newegg and unfortunately, I think at that price point, it might be hard to find one with a free adapter. (I think I've also got a DVI to VGA/DSUB cable that I don't need.) Here is my recommendation in pcie cards, here. ($20 after rebate through the 30th of this month)

Alternately, if this is a windows machine, and you've got a free PCI slot, you can *usually* just throw an additional video card in there. (No guarantees though. I did that with a PCIE card in the last few years and the two wouldn't cooperate.)

(ETA: I typed the measurements in mm instead of cm.)

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:10 pm

I don't have a DVI machine to connect to. Just the two DSUBs.

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well

Post by rasetsu » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:28 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:I don't have a DVI machine to connect to. Just the two DSUBs.
You get a DVI to VGA/DSUB adapter to convert the DVI out on the video card to a second VGA/DSUB out.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:35 am

rasetsu wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:I don't have a DVI machine to connect to. Just the two DSUBs.
You get a DVI to VGA/DSUB adapter to convert the DVI out on the video card to a second VGA/DSUB out.
The monitor and the projector both have DSUB connectors. A DVI outlet on the card would have to an adapter.

hadespussercats
I've come for your pants.
About me: Looks pretty good, coming out of the back of his neck like that.

Post by hadespussercats » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:57 pm

rEv, this post contains a personal attack on another member. Please refrain from that sort of thing. Thank you.
The green careening planet
spins blindly in the dark
so close to annihilation.

Listen. No one listens. Meow.

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well

Post by rasetsu » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:57 am

hadespussercats wrote:rEv, this post contains a personal attack on another member. Please refrain from that sort of thing. Thank you.

Bloody hell. This gets a warning, while FBM'S attack on me is defended by the moderators. You people have your heads pretty far up your collective asses and are cliqueish beyond belief.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:10 am

I don't know what FBM said to you, but my outburst was definitely a personal attack. Quite a good one, if I do say so myself. :tea:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.