Computer go BOOM!

Give us a seminar, lecture or lesson on what your 'thing' is. Now with our exclusive ASK-A-NERD!!!
klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Re: Computer go BOOM!

Post by klr » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:54 pm

FBM wrote:Catching up: Mint 14 download in progress...rEv, if you've never used WINE, then I'm going to have to bypass that until I get some first-hand feedback...Mint 14 has been reading 1 hour download time for the past hour... :bored:
Good grief. It should only take a few minutes. I thought SK had the best internet connectivity on the planet.
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:57 pm

yeah, something has gone wrong. ABORT! ABORT!
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:58 pm

Where are you downloading it from? Get it from http://www.distrowatch.org
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Post by FBM » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:58 pm

klr wrote:
FBM wrote:Catching up: Mint 14 download in progress...rEv, if you've never used WINE, then I'm going to have to bypass that until I get some first-hand feedback...Mint 14 has been reading 1 hour download time for the past hour... :bored:
Good grief. It should only take a few minutes. I thought SK had the best internet connectivity on the planet.
I chose a US mirror to make sure I'd get an English version. :ddpan: :bored:
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:59 pm

436/966 MB... :sigh:
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:01 pm

rEvolutionist wrote:Where are you downloading it from? Get it from http://www.distrowatch.org
I got http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=119

klr

Post by klr » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:08 pm

FBM wrote:
rEvolutionist wrote:Where are you downloading it from? Get it from http://www.distrowatch.org
I got http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=119
Ah, but that only leads to a page of download links. The server you're using must be on a go-slow. If you're using one of the SK servers, that would be odd. :?

You might want to kill that one and attempt to download from another location. Maybe the "other" SK server, as I can see two entries for SK. Failing that, I'm not sure where the best server might be located.
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:17 pm

At 560/966 MB now, but it's still reading 1 hour completion time. It's bedtime here, so I think I'll just leave the 'puter running and wake up to a full download to take to the office in the a.m. :yawn:

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:18 pm

When you first try it, use it in "Live" mode first (i.e. don't install it). See how it runs like that for a while, and if you are happy, then install it.

klr

Post by klr » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:19 pm

FBM wrote:At 560/966 MB now, but it's still reading 1 hour completion time. It's bedtime here, so I think I'll just leave the 'puter running and wake up to a full download to take to the office in the a.m. :yawn:
Couldn't you just download it there? :eddy:

Azathoth
blind idiot god
blind idiot god

Post by Azathoth » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:39 pm

FBM wrote:Understood, Kev. :tup:

I looked into installing Linux today and it looked hard for a noob like me. I'd give it a go myself if someone could simplify the install process for me...
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/inst ... int_1.html

You can ignore the partioning part of the tutorial if you want to. It will do it for you if you dont feel confident doing it manually
Outside the ordered universe is that amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity—the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Code: Select all

// Replaces with spaces the braces in cases where braces in places cause stasis 
   $str = str_replace(array("\{","\}")," ",$str);

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:44 pm

klr wrote:I'd explain myself, but I have a list of things do be done here as long as my arm. Damn users ...

:hehe:
Maybe they are users, but you're a damn enabler :biggrin:
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Azathoth
blind idiot god
blind idiot god

Post by Azathoth » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:28 pm

derp, I hate it when I miss a few pages of posts and reply to something hours ago
Outside the ordered universe is that amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity—the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Code: Select all

// Replaces with spaces the braces in cases where braces in places cause stasis 
   $str = str_replace(array("\{","\}")," ",$str);

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:30 pm

Azathoth wrote:derp, I hate it when I miss a few pages of posts and reply to something hours ago
You know someone is going to quote that on page 25 right?
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:32 pm

Azathoth wrote:derp, I hate it when I miss a few pages of posts and reply to something hours ago
Calm Down, this is a forum, not an IRC channel. Delayed response is a given... even if manners ought to prevent thread necromancy.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping