Computer go BOOM!

Give us a seminar, lecture or lesson on what your 'thing' is. Now with our exclusive ASK-A-NERD!!!
Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Re: Computer go BOOM!

Post by Rum » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:38 pm

My 'superfast' fibre broadband dropped to 8.5 Mps this afternoon. Waited a bit, tested it a couple more times and phoned tech support (who are very good for an ISP) as it should be in the region of 40. The guy made a couple of suggestions and sent me a link for a professional test.

Tested again just to be sure before making more work for me and anyone else..and of course it was back up to 39. Grr!

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:40 pm

Rum wrote:My 'superfast' fibre broadband dropped to 8.5 Mps this afternoon. Waited a bit, tested it a couple more times and phoned tech support (who are very good for an ISP) as it should be in the region of 40. The guy made a couple of suggestions and sent me a link for a professional test.

Tested again just to be sure before making more work for me and anyone else..and of course it was back up to 39. Grr!
Der gremlins, mein herr. :monocle:
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:44 pm

Re the internet speed problems reported by both FBM and Rum: I'm seeing the same thing here at work, downloading relatively small files. One 40 MB file is going to take around 5 minutes, which is sluggish in the extreme ...
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:01 pm

klr wrote:Re the internet speed problems reported by both FBM and Rum: I'm seeing the same thing here at work, downloading relatively small files. One 40 MB file is going to take around 5 minutes, which is sluggish in the extreme ...
Gamer hours here, in the evenings during school months.

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well
About me: Move along. Nothing to see here.

Post by rasetsu » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:53 pm

Zilla: If you're interested in linux, run it inside a virtual machine alongside your normal software. Dual booting is lame. (Linux can also be run on top of windows by using a tiny linux and a debian/ubuntu image, but that's a little trickier.) I believe Virtual Box is the current favorite. However, you can get "virtual appliances" from VMWare vendors that have linux or a browser already installed and configured. Just download the virtual appliance software and the virtual appliance install of linux of your choice and run on demand.

I would echo the earlier comments; just boot a live cd/usb if you're only testing or experimenting. If memory is a suspect, run memtest86+ overnight. (bootable cd/flash drive)

Last edited by rasetsu on Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:57 pm

How about doing a clean install on a netbook?

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well
About me: Move along. Nothing to see here.

Post by rasetsu » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:02 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:How about doing a clean install on a netbook?
How about it? Given the sophistication of live installs, unless you're committed to linux, using a live cd or flash drive makes more sense until you decide. (Most should be able to interface with your windows partitions through NTFS-3G.) However, if you have decided to commit, linux is an excellent choice for a netbook. (It tends to be more miserly in its use of resources.) Just make sure that you have the necessary setup/restore disks to restore windows when/if you choose, and be sure you understand your netbooks partitioning arrangement. (Many have a hidden partition or two that is used for restoring the original install if the working install needs replacing. It can be tricky, depending.) A netbook doesn't really have enough resources to run virtual machines.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:05 pm

I'd not be heartbroken if the experiment killed the netbook, it's showing its age.

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Post by FBM » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:29 pm

Azathoth wrote:
FBM wrote:Understood, Kev. :tup:

I looked into installing Linux today and it looked hard for a noob like me. I'd give it a go myself if someone could simplify the install process for me...
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/inst ... int_1.html

You can ignore the partioning part of the tutorial if you want to. It will do it for you if you dont feel confident doing it manually
:tup:
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

klr

Post by klr » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:37 pm

Partitoning is only an important issue if you want to run multiple operating systems, choosing from them at boot time. It's particularly an issue if you've got a working copy of Windows that you want to keep running. But it's not for the faint of heart. I agree with Aza - just let 'er rip.

The point about seeing how Linux behaves first in "live" mode - when you boot it from a CD or USB pen drive - is also important. If everything seems to work, then you can go ahead and start the install process.
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:44 pm

Will do so, klr, if I can get to the office before IT peeps grab the machine.
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

klr

Post by klr » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:48 pm

FBM wrote:Will do so, klr, if I can get to the office before IT peeps grab the machine.
I didn't realise there was going to be a showdown. FBM v. the University IT commandos. :nervous:

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:22 am

:lol: OK, I made it to the office before they whisked the machine away. I have 40 minutes to work before my first class. Linux on USB. I can only operate the machine in safe mode, though. Is that a problem?

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:02 am

No. Linux will boot up before the "Safe mode" nonsense kicks in. JUST DO IT!! QUICK!! TIC TOCK!!
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:08 am

I've secured the office perimeter and am starting to accomplish the mission...