One for KLR (Aircraft Question)

Give us a seminar, lecture or lesson on what your 'thing' is. Now with our exclusive ASK-A-NERD!!!
Calilasseia
Butterfly
Butterfly
About me: Destroyer of canards, and merciless shredder of bad ideas. :twisted:

One for KLR (Aircraft Question)

Post by Calilasseia » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:28 am

Take a peek at this photo of a Boeing 707:

And, in addition, this image of the rear of one of the engines:

What was the point of that complicated exhaust arrangement? Wouldn't the engine have delivered more thrust with a simpler exhaust?

Also, since I've learned that the 707 was the first commercial airliner with thrust reversers, wouldn't that complex exhaust setup simply have added to the complexity of fitting thrust reversers to the engines?

It seems to me, looking at those pictures, that someone went to an awful lot of trouble, to shape metal into a complex shape, for no immediately obvious reason. I presume there was a reason for this baroque-looking exhaust, otherwise Boeing and the engine makers wouldn't have wasted manufacturing effort upon it, but I can't find any reason stated for that elaborate piece of metal at the rear of the engine. Even more puzzling, is the fact that the thrust reversers employed were "clamshell" type thrust reversers, which presumably are mechanically simpler if you have a simple cylindrical exhaust.

Now, since klr is our resident aircraft expert, perhaps he can come in and answer some of the above?

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Re: One for KLR (Aircraft Question)

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:55 am

Venturis.
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:01 am

I made a venturi-based propane torch. It melts aluminium. :teef:

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:12 am

Făkünamę wrote:I made a venturi-based propane torch. It melts aluminium. :teef:
Accelerates the flow of gases by breaking the "sound barrier" at a choke point. The smooth transition allows the shock wave to move on past and supersonic flow results.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:33 am

A little googlefishing suggests it's the Pratt & Whitney JT3C-7 turbojet engine

Calilasseia
Butterfly
Butterfly
About me: Destroyer of canards, and merciless shredder of bad ideas. :twisted:

Post by Calilasseia » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:23 pm

Fun part is, similar exhausts were also featured on 707s fitted with Rolls-Royce Conway engines. The BOAC airliner pic I supplied features one of those RR engined planes.

Plus, if venturis were such a good idea, why have I only ever seen that "flower petal" exhaust arrangement on 707s? I've never seen the same arrangement featured on any other aircraft, including other members of the Boeing stable, such as the 727 and 737 (the 747 featured bypass turbofans and consequently doesn't count amongst 1970s vintage airliners).

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:28 pm

Calilasseia wrote:Fun part is, similar exhausts were also featured on 707s fitted with Rolls-Royce Conway engines. The BOAC airliner pic I supplied features one of those RR engined planes.

Plus, if venturis were such a good idea, why have I only ever seen that "flower petal" exhaust arrangement on 707s? I've never seen the same arrangement featured on any other aircraft, including other members of the Boeing stable, such as the 727 and 737 (the 747 featured bypass turbofans and consequently doesn't count amongst 1970s vintage airliners).
Theory didn't work out as expected. They finally just fluted the exhaust and went with that.

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:58 pm

Them were early jet engines, long before the days of turbofans.

FWIW, I'm more used to looking at the exhausts of military engines. I've seen those exhaust designs before, but never stopped to look closer. :doh:
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob: