General Photoshop Q&A.

Give us a seminar, lecture or lesson on what your 'thing' is. Now with our exclusive ASK-A-NERD!!!
User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
Posts: 151265
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:24 am
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.
Contact:

General Photoshop Q&A.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:53 pm

How do I change the default directory in Photoshop?
Image
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

User avatar
JacksSmirkingRevenge
Grand Wazoo
Posts: 13510
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:56 pm
About me: Half man - half yak.
Location: Perfidious Albion
Contact:

Re: General Photoshop Q&A.

Post by JacksSmirkingRevenge » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:28 pm

I don't actually know, but I would look at Bridge first.
Sent from my Interositor using Twatatalk.

Jason
Destroyer of words
Posts: 17747
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:46 pm
Contact:

Re: General Photoshop Q&A.

Post by Jason » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:24 am

I don't know. PS defaults to the last directory you opened or saved a file from/to.

User avatar
Red Celt
Humanist Misanthrope
Posts: 1349
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:30 pm
About me: Crow Philosopher
Location: Fife, Scotland
Contact:

Re: General Photoshop Q&A.

Post by Red Celt » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:30 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:How do I change the default directory in Photoshop?
Default for what?

If you want to improve your ease of access to frequently-opened files within folders, you could always use Bridge as your PS gateway. In Bridge, you can create your own favourited folders. Plus it shows thumbnails.

But as has just been said, it will default to the last directory that you used.
Image

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
Posts: 151265
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:24 am
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.
Contact:

Re: General Photoshop Q&A.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:39 am

You guys say "Bridge" like I knew what that was.
Image
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

User avatar
Red Celt
Humanist Misanthrope
Posts: 1349
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:30 pm
About me: Crow Philosopher
Location: Fife, Scotland
Contact:

Re: General Photoshop Q&A.

Post by Red Celt » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:50 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:You guys say "Bridge" like I knew what that was.
Adobe Bridge. Unless you're using a very old version of Photoshop, it will have been installed at the same time. :)
Image

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
Posts: 151265
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:24 am
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.
Contact:

Re: General Photoshop Q&A.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:57 am

I have Photoshop Elements 8. I found the file, now to figure out why I should use it.
Image
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

User avatar
FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
Posts: 45327
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:43 pm
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"
Contact:

Re: General Photoshop Q&A.

Post by FBM » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:39 am

Right. My first quasi-successful effort at image stacking:




I see some things I need to do better. First of all, all the images were underexposed. Also, I need to be more careful about the focus. The beginning and end were OK, but I was careless about the intermediate shots. There were 5 in all. Any other tips and advice welcomed. :eddy:
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

User avatar
JacksSmirkingRevenge
Grand Wazoo
Posts: 13510
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:56 pm
About me: Half man - half yak.
Location: Perfidious Albion
Contact:

Re: General Photoshop Q&A.

Post by JacksSmirkingRevenge » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:56 am

Nice effort!
I'm guessing that any anomalies there would be due to the (tricky) subject moving.
10 or more shots might have been better/sharper (but this is obviously harder to do).
Sent from my Interositor using Twatatalk.

User avatar
FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
Posts: 45327
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:43 pm
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"
Contact:

Re: General Photoshop Q&A.

Post by FBM » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:02 pm

This is an ex-dragonfly. :hehe: It wasn't moving. I own all the flaws. Just a first effort. I can imagine a few things I'd use it for.
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

User avatar
JacksSmirkingRevenge
Grand Wazoo
Posts: 13510
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:56 pm
About me: Half man - half yak.
Location: Perfidious Albion
Contact:

Re: General Photoshop Q&A.

Post by JacksSmirkingRevenge » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:25 pm

It's prolly just pining for the fijords.
Did you use a tripod?
Try more layers (10 or so). :pop:
Sent from my Interositor using Twatatalk.

User avatar
FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
Posts: 45327
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:43 pm
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"
Contact:

Re: General Photoshop Q&A.

Post by FBM » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:29 pm

JacksSmirkingRevenge wrote:It's prolly just pining for the fijords.
Did you use a tripod?
Try more layers (10 or so). :pop:
Yep. Tripod and remote shutter release. I was thinking that the struts on the wings would show the most DOF, so I concentrated on the first and last shots. The middle three I just kinda shot something and didn't worry about it too much. Now that I know how to do it, more or less, I'll make every shot count. And, like you say, maybe bump the shot count up. :tup:
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
Posts: 151265
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:24 am
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.
Contact:

Re: General Photoshop Q&A.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:33 pm

FBM wrote:Yep. Tripod and remote shutter release.
Is a remote release less jiggly than the timer?
Image
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

User avatar
FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
Posts: 45327
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:43 pm
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"
Contact:

Re: General Photoshop Q&A.

Post by FBM » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:58 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
FBM wrote:Yep. Tripod and remote shutter release.
Is a remote release less jiggly than the timer?
Nah. Just a little faster.
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

User avatar
JacksSmirkingRevenge
Grand Wazoo
Posts: 13510
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:56 pm
About me: Half man - half yak.
Location: Perfidious Albion
Contact:

Re: General Photoshop Q&A.

Post by JacksSmirkingRevenge » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:02 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
FBM wrote:Yep. Tripod and remote shutter release.
Is a remote release less jiggly than the timer?
They both have their pros and cons. A better option might be to use an intervalometer - a type of fancy remote.

Another option (for macro generally) might be to operate the camera via a laptop or pc. I have the software to do this for my S2, but I've never used it since it requires a firewire connection which I don't have the right cable for.
Sent from my Interositor using Twatatalk.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests