Want to see me make a Halloween costume?

Give us a seminar, lecture or lesson on what your 'thing' is. Now with our exclusive ASK-A-NERD!!!
hadespussercats
I've come for your pants.
About me: Looks pretty good, coming out of the back of his neck like that.

Want to see me make a Halloween costume?

Post by hadespussercats » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:26 am

Yes, I know-- it is no longer pumpkin season. I should be showing you all X-mas cookies or ornaments or how to make a snow angel.

All wonderful ideas. Still, I'd meant to post about this, back in the day, but then I decided to do Nanowrimo, and then it was December.

These are entries I wrote for elsewhere. I hope you folks here enjoy them.

This year, I decided, after quite a bit of equivocation, that I wanted to make my son's Halloween costume. I'd been thinking that maybe that was too much work, particularly since he's still so little that it's not like he really cares how he's dressed, so long as it's comfortable.

Who am I trying to impress, anyway? He's too little even to go trick-or-treating.

But that's the thing-- he's only going to be this tiny and adorable for an instant. At least, that's how it will probably seem once he gets his feet under him and takes off running. I realized that if I didn't take hold of this opportunity to play dress-up with my little one, I might regret missing it.

Still, I might not have decided to go for it if I didn't have a sudden inspiration-- we'd go as the bear and the rabbit from Jon Klassen's book, I Want My Hat Back.

Here's the book trailer, if you're unfamiliar:

After giving it some thought, and checking the calendar/reality, I decided I didn't need to make myself a costume-- particularly since I didn't have the budget or the space to build on such a large scale.

It's all right. I figured something out.

I was thinking that Sprog might still go as the rabbit-- just because scale-wise, it's a better fit. But J said, "The rabbit's the bad guy. He can't go as the bad guy! He should be the hero."

Which was an excellent point. So, a bear he would be. A tiny little bear! Squee!

I decided to steal a pattern from a pair of Sprog's footie pajamas-- a basic shape I then altered-- thickening around the middle and such. I copied the hood off his fall jacket, then built out a bill to create the face (one of my main considerations in patterning was to make it as comfortable as possible, and easy to wear. No sense in putting all this work into something to discover my wailing infant refuses to put it on.)

I really wanted to capture the texture of the painting in the illustrations, so I knew I'd be painting some fabric. I flailed a bit in my first choice-- some stretch velvet from Spandex House that was the wrong color, the wrong body, the wrong finish, just wrong wrong wrong. I rushed that purchase, because I had Sprog with me in a carrier and I wasn't sure how long he'd be happy trekking around the Garment District.

Fortunately, that first fabric was cheap, and my kid's still so small I didn't need much yardage. So, we went out again.

Turns out, Sprog seems to really enjoy trekking around the Garment District. So much to see! So many colors! So many people stopping in their tracks to coo over him!

I found some fleece (by Marc Jacobs, apparently) at Mood. Thank you Mood.

The other mistake I made in my first, failed attempt (which turned out to be a very educational failure, all around) was trying to do the painting with sponges and brushes. It was splotchy, instead of... watercolor-y.

If I were working professionally, in a real shop, I think doing something with ombré dying or painted dyes would have been the way to go. But I can't do that sort of thing in my apartment (at least, not now that I have a baby living here.) And I definitely didn't want to use anything for coloring that might irritate his skin.

I decided to use Jacquard paints (acrylic fabric paints), thinned, in a Preval sprayer. Spraying meant I'd have to build my own spray booth in one end of my living room-- but I have my big homasote board, and a bunch of plastic tarp kicking around from an earlier project, so...

If you look close, you can see another of my ongoing projects underneath-- Mayberry's my muse for that one.

I got a kick out of the transformation of my living room.

I pinned up as much as I could, and wished my board were twice as wide, so I wouldn't have to work in batches.

(I switched to brushes for the fur hatch marks.)

Here's the second batch:

Of course, the outfit wouldn't be complete without The Hat.

I had some neoprene left over from my masks project, which I used to make the base (tough, but soft-- it holds its shape without being dangerously pointy around kidlets.)

I covered that with some matte red spandex, which I then spattered and painted to look like the illustration.

After everything was painted, I went to bed.

The next morning, I tossed the fleece in a hot dryer to start the heat-set process, which I finished with a steam-iron later.

At that point, I had about 24 hours exactly to put everything together in time for the neighborhood's Halloween party for toddlers and babies, which would be thrown at the playground down the street Saturday afternoon.

Better get cracking!

Well, Mr. Sprog, your costume is ready!

Want to see how it looks?

Tune in to our next blog post, and I'll show you.

Trick or Treat!
The green careening planet
spins blindly in the dark
so close to annihilation.

Listen. No one listens. Meow.

SteveB
Nibbler
About me: The more you change the less you feel

Re: Want to see me make a Halloween costume?

Post by SteveB » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:48 am

I'll read this entire post at some point. :read:
Twit, twat, twaddle.
hadespussercats wrote:I've been de-sigged! :(

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:06 am

MOAR!1!!! :lay:
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Cormac

Post by Cormac » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:32 am

Moar!!1!!!!
FUCKERPUNKERSHIT!

Wanna buy some pegs Dave, I've got some pegs here...
You're my wife now!

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:38 am

Your skills Hades! They are so impressive!

Let's see the finished article!

rachelbean
"awesome."
About me: I'm a nerd.

Post by rachelbean » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:38 am

I read every word, now I want to see the payoff :begging:

You are so talented and your sprog is so cute :swoon:

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Post by FBM » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:29 am

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:MOAR!1!!! :lay:
Cormac wrote:Moar!!1!!!!
Mower!!!
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

PsychoSerenity
"I" Self-Perceive Recursively

Post by PsychoSerenity » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:04 am

hadespussercats wrote:
:lol: The look of the rabbit as he just sits there quietly.

But amazing pics of your amazing talent. Can't wait to see it finished! :biggrin:
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]

Bella Fortuna
Sister Golden Hair
About me: Being your slave, what should I do but tend
Upon the hours and times of your desire?
I have no precious time at all to spend,
Nor services to do, till you require.

Post by Bella Fortuna » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:45 am

I echo the rising throng for MOAR!!!! :pop:
Sent from my Bollocksberry using Crapatalk.
Food, cooking, and disreputable nonsense: http://miscreantsdiner.blogspot.com/

Kristie
Elastigirl
About me: From there to here, and here to there, funny things are everywhere!

Post by Kristie » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:30 pm

The suspense is killing me !

hadespussercats
I've come for your pants.
About me: Looks pretty good, coming out of the back of his neck like that.

Post by hadespussercats » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:44 pm

Moar, you say?

Can do.

I HAVE SEEN MY HAT.

Here are many pictures of my boy enjoying his first real Halloween, wearing the costume I built here.

I think my favorite moment of the whole experience was shortly after we got him dressed. J showed him his storybook, and then lifted him up so he could see his reflection in the mirror on the opposite wall. And we could see, clear as day, he understood what he saw-- that he was the bear from he favorite story. His face lit up with surprise and delight. He bounced in J's arms as he pointed to his transformation in the mirror.

He's only fourteen months old. When I think about the layers of comprehension and imagination and visual sense that need to come together to make that sort of moment possible, it astounds me. He's already learned so much. Which is just what babies do-- sneakily, and at lightning speed.

Humans are pretty amazing. Not that I'm biased.

So some of these pictures are from those first moments in our living room, and the rest are at the playground down the street, where they held a little holiday party of the children who were too little to go out trick-or-treating on Wednesday. We have some pictures of the other kids there-- they were all really cute. But I'm burying you in images as it is, so, we'll leave them for some other time.

We went to another little event on Halloween itself-- some local businesses threw parties so children would be able to celebrate the holiday, after the hurricane cancelled the local parade and all park events. We had a lot of fun. And I especially enjoyed seeing all the gangs of trick-or-treaters starting to appear along the sidewalks as I strollered my little bear home. No photos of that, though. But I bet you can imagine it.

Happy Halloween!
The green careening planet
spins blindly in the dark
so close to annihilation.

Listen. No one listens. Meow.

Kristie
Elastigirl
About me: From there to here, and here to there, funny things are everywhere!

Post by Kristie » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:49 pm

You totally outdid my owl costume! :hehe:
He is beyond adorable!! Fantastic job, Mama!!
We danced.

SteveB
Nibbler
About me: The more you change the less you feel

Post by SteveB » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:52 pm

Dawwwwww :awesomekid:
Twit, twat, twaddle.
hadespussercats wrote:I've been de-sigged! :(

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Post by FBM » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:59 pm

:{D :holcheer: That's great work, hades!
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

Bella Fortuna
Sister Golden Hair
About me: Being your slave, what should I do but tend
Upon the hours and times of your desire?
I have no precious time at all to spend,
Nor services to do, till you require.

Post by Bella Fortuna » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:07 pm

Sooooooo cute I have no words! :swoon:

The one with J pointing and them both smiling is the most darling thing. :shiver:

What a talent, and beautiful family, and oh - I want your apartment and all those books. :biggrin:
Sent from my Bollocksberry using Crapatalk.
Food, cooking, and disreputable nonsense: http://miscreantsdiner.blogspot.com/