Windows 7, Paint, and the Snipping Tool

Give us a seminar, lecture or lesson on what your 'thing' is. Now with our exclusive ASK-A-NERD!!!
amused
amused
About me: Reinvention phase initiated

Windows 7, Paint, and the Snipping Tool

Post by amused » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:24 pm

My new laptop came with Windows 7 after me being an XP user for years. I discovered that PrintScreen and then Edit>Paste did not work any more in Paint. WTF? They added a new tool called Snipping Tool in Accessories that lets you define a capture region on the screen and save it to file. It adds a few steps but lets you define the size and shape of the capture. I'm probably late to the party on this, but it took me doing a search to find it. HTH

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Re: Windows 7, Paint, and the Snipping Tool

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:25 pm

amused wrote:My new laptop came with Windows 7 after me being an XP user for years. I discovered that PrintScreen and then Edit>Paste did not work any more in Paint. WTF? They added a new tool called Snipping Tool in Accessories that lets you define a capture region on the screen and save it to file. It adds a few steps but lets you define the size and shape of the capture. I'm probably late to the party on this, but it took me doing a search to find it. HTH
I love Snipping Tool.
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Cormac

Post by Cormac » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:35 pm

amused wrote:My new laptop came with Windows 7 after me being an XP user for years. I discovered that PrintScreen and then Edit>Paste did not work any more in Paint. WTF? They added a new tool called Snipping Tool in Accessories that lets you define a capture region on the screen and save it to file. It adds a few steps but lets you define the size and shape of the capture. I'm probably late to the party on this, but it took me doing a search to find it. HTH

But ctrl/prntscr and alt/prntscr still work perfectly fine.

I use it all the time, and never have had to resort to a think called "the snipping tool"...
FUCKERPUNKERSHIT!

Wanna buy some pegs Dave, I've got some pegs here...
You're my wife now!

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:38 pm

That saves the whole screen. Snipping Tool allows you to save just what you want. Very handy. I've used it a dozen times today alone.

amused
amused

Post by amused » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:41 pm

Cormac wrote:

I use it all the time, and never have had to resort to a think called "the snipping tool"...
I must be dense, but when in Paint I don't see the 'Edit' option, and the prntscr capture isn't in the clipboard. How do you paste the prntscr capture into Paint in Windows 7?

Cormac

Post by Cormac » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:10 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:That saves the whole screen. Snipping Tool allows you to save just what you want. Very handy. I've used it a dozen times today alone.
Cool.

Alt/prntscreen only captures the current live window.

snipping tool sounds useful...
FUCKERPUNKERSHIT!

You're my wife now!

Cormac

Post by Cormac » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:11 pm

amused wrote:
Cormac wrote:

I must be dense, but when in Paint I don't see the 'Edit' option, and the prntscr capture isn't in the clipboard. How do you paste the prntscr capture into Paint in Windows 7?
Alt & Printscr

then flip to paint.

then ctrl & V (which is the same as clicking paste).

This pops the image onto the paint screen, ready for you to manipulate.
FUCKERPUNKERSHIT!

You're my wife now!

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:12 pm

Cormac wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:That saves the whole screen. Snipping Tool allows you to save just what you want. Very handy. I've used it a dozen times today alone.
Cool.

Alt/prntscreen only captures the current live window.

snipping tool sounds useful...
Me rikey.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:13 pm

amused wrote:
Cormac wrote:

ctrl+v.

For those that don't have Windows 7, you can get extensions in most browsers to do the same thing. I use an add-on called "FireShot". Works a treat.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Bella Fortuna
Sister Golden Hair
About me: Being your slave, what should I do but tend
Upon the hours and times of your desire?
I have no precious time at all to spend,
Nor services to do, till you require.

Post by Bella Fortuna » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:15 pm

'Snipping tool' sounds painful... :cry:
Sent from my Bollocksberry using Crapatalk.
Food, cooking, and disreputable nonsense: http://miscreantsdiner.blogspot.com/

amused
amused

Post by amused » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:16 pm

Cormac wrote:
amused wrote:
Cormac wrote:

Alt & Printscr

then flip to paint.

She dunna work captain!

The button on the laptop for 'PrtScr' is also the 'Insert' button, with 'Insert' the top line function. Don't know if that is interfering with the capture.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:17 pm

Ctrl-PrtScr

amused
amused

Post by amused » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:18 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Ctrl-PrtScr
Yeah, I've tried all variations of Ctrl and Alt, no worky.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:19 pm

no, just straight out print screen. Back in the old days you had to do shift+prtscreen.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Cormac

Post by Cormac » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:20 pm

amused wrote:
Cormac wrote:
amused wrote:
Cormac wrote:

Alt & Printscr

then flip to paint.

She dunna work captain!

The button on the laptop for 'PrtScr' is also the 'Insert' button, with 'Insert' the top line function. Don't know if that is interfering with the capture.
I would have thought Funtion & PrntScrn (Fn & PrntScrn), then flip to paint and crtl & V.
FUCKERPUNKERSHIT!

You're my wife now!