Dear Ask-a-nerd: Computer "check up" programs?

Give us a seminar, lecture or lesson on what your 'thing' is. Now with our exclusive ASK-A-NERD!!!
klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Re: Dear Ask-a-nerd: Computer "check up" programs?

Post by klr » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:02 pm

You could also disable Flash in Firefox by running it in "safe mode". You can force safe mode by editing the menu entry/desktop short-cut from:

firefox.exe

to

firefox.exe -safe-mode
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:02 pm

rEvolutionist wrote:I know i'm sounding like a broken record here, but it's got to be a memory access problem (or remote chance of it being your graphics card). If memtest and crystaldisk aren't picking anything up, then it could be a problem on the motherboard itself like your bus or even just some other circuit. Did you get around to testing the running temps of the CPU and your graphics chip?
Lost track of that. Link again please?
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:03 pm

klr wrote:You could also disable Flash in Firefox by running it in "safe mode". You can force safe mode by editing the menu entry/desktop short-cut from:

firefox.exe

to

firefox.exe -safe-mode
I explained why I won't do that earlier in this thread.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:04 pm

Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:06 pm

klr wrote:You could also disable Flash in Firefox by running it in "safe mode". You can force safe mode by editing the menu entry/desktop short-cut from:

firefox.exe

to

firefox.exe -safe-mode
That's interesting, I didn't realise you could run ff in safe mode. What bits does it disable in safe mode? I assume it must disable all add-ons and extensions etc.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

klr

Post by klr » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:08 pm

rEvolutionist wrote:

firefox.exe

to

firefox.exe -safe-mode
That's interesting, I didn't realise you could run ff in safe mode. What bits does it disable in safe mode? I assume it must disable all add-ons and extensions etc.
Yup, it disables lots of things, to the extent that it might be just too inconvenient. Still, it might be worth running in safe mode for a while to see if it's stable.
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:10 pm

rEvolutionist wrote:That reminds me, you should test your cpu for overheating.

first hit on google looks like a good one - http://openhardwaremonitor.org/
Can get temps of your cpu and your video card. If either of those are too high, that could be causing your problems.
Got it.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:12 pm

OHM-001.JPG

klr

Post by klr » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:14 pm

I'm no hardware guru, but on first glance those figures look OK.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:15 pm

klr wrote:I'm no hardware guru, but on first glance those figures look OK.
No red flags for me either. 66 if actually colder than the room I'm in.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:19 pm

Yeah, the temps don't look too high. But it might be worth doing a gogle search for stress values.

Can you run that monitor continuously and perhaps even get it to dump to a text file? If so, you really need to see what the values are when the thing freezes. If you can't do that, it might be worth running some flash and just watching what happens to the temps.

eta on your post above - those temps would be C.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:21 pm

rEvolutionist wrote:Yeah, the temps don't look too high. But it might be worth doing a gogle search for stress values.

Can you run that monitor continuously and perhaps even get it to dump to a text file? If so, you really need to see what the values are when the thing freezes. If you can't do that, it might be worth running some flash and just watching what happens to the temps.
The right hand column is max values noted, so that's covered. Not sure about the continuous setting, this is a beta.
eta on your post above - those temps would be C.
:hehe:

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:25 pm

Hang on, i'm just looking at those figures again and it has a value for the load on your memory of 77.7%. If that's indicating that you are using nearly 80% of your ram, then that is the source of your problem there. Might need to check exactly what that is referring to.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:28 pm

rEvolutionist wrote:Hang on, i'm just looking at those figures again and it has a value for the load on your memory of 77.7%. If that's indicating that you are using nearly 80% of your ram, then that is the source of your problem there. Might need to check exactly what that is referring to.
I have two Excel spread sheets open, plus Google Earth, and Malwarebytes is running a scan. So, not surprised at that load.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:34 pm

But that's just way too much. Anything over 50% is getting into stressing territory. And with 8Gb of memory, you shouldn't get anywhere near that. Does the thing crash when you're only running the web browser, or does it happen when you've got other things running? Either way, it might be worth eventually checking what processes are using up all your memory. You might have some nasties, or just bloatware running hidden in the background that's chewing up your ram. I can get you a link for a good process monitor. The standard windows one doesn't pick up everything (or even most of the stuff running). There is a better one available in windows, but it's hidden out of the way, and I can't remember how to find it.