Firefox done gone tranny on me.

Give us a seminar, lecture or lesson on what your 'thing' is. Now with our exclusive ASK-A-NERD!!!
Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Re: Firefox done gone tranny on me.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:47 pm

Didn't work.
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well
About me: Move along. Nothing to see here.

Post by rasetsu » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:07 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Didn't work.
Must be in the registry then. Get a registry backup and restore program. Get a program you can backup and restore your program and os partition with. Make backups. Then delete the topmost level keys in the registry with the mozilla or firefox name (using regedit.exe or your favorite registry editor).

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mozilla
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mozilla
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\mozilla.org
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins

(A quick backup trick, not a substitute for the above though, is to highlight the key, then right-click, export, save to a file (using the full key name using underscores to separate each subkey in the name is useful). If you need to restore those keys, right-click on the file, "Merge".)

Those are the most obvious, but I didn't search the registry to find those (application settings are typically in HKCU\Software & HKLM\Software), so you might find more using the search function.

You'll likely also find stuff in: (DO NOT DELETE THEM HERE)
=======================================================
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes --

I would just ignore anything you find under those keys.

(You can do actual harm by deleting them inappropriately. I generally recommend against running registry "cleaners", but this time it might be a useful step; some AV programs will look for null or dangling references in the registry, likely Spybot S & D, and Lavasoft's Adaware. Registry compacting programs though, are useless.)

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:54 am

Thanks, but I don't think I'm going back to Firefox. Chrome does seem to load faster and there are a lot fewer freeze ups. Maybe Palemoon as a backup, but that's it.
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”