Which camera do I want?

Give us a seminar, lecture or lesson on what your 'thing' is. Now with our exclusive ASK-A-NERD!!!
Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Re: Which camera do I want?

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:23 pm

FBM wrote:$150.00. You're welcome. :coffee:
Not an important difference.
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Post by FBM » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:28 pm

I know dick-all about Canon, and not much more about any other camera I haven't owned, which isn't a large number. If you want, I could google up some reviews, re-word them and pretend they're mine, if you like.

I have already read one review of the Rebel T3, and it wasn't particularly flattering. Something about being pretty slow and with limited options for the price. IOW, out of the box feeling like it was already 3 years old. Something like that.
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:29 pm

FBM wrote:I know dick-all about Canon, and not much more about any other camera I haven't owned, which isn't a large number. If you want, I could google up some reviews, re-word them and pretend they're mine, if you like.

I have already read one review of the Rebel T3, and it wasn't particularly flattering. Something about being pretty slow and with limited options for the price. IOW, out of the box feeling like it was already 3 years old. Something like that.
I think that's what the other $150 is for?

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:31 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
FBM wrote:I know dick-all about Canon, and not much more about any other camera I haven't owned, which isn't a large number. If you want, I could google up some reviews, re-word them and pretend they're mine, if you like.

Yeah, I guess so.
While there are nits to pick with aspects of the camera and areas where even cheaper models outpace it, as an overall package, the T2i narrowly takes the place at the head of the pack of consumer dSLRs.
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:33 pm

FBM wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:

Yeah, I guess so.
While there are nits to pick with aspects of the camera and areas where even cheaper models outpace it, as an overall package, the T2i narrowly takes the place at the head of the pack of consumer dSLRs.
:zilla:

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:35 pm

Yep. Between the two, if price being irrelevant... :tup:

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:38 pm

FBM wrote:Yep. Between the two, if price being irrelevant... :tup:
If I get enough money, price will not be the factor. I will have a window to buy what I want and I intend to get what I need to go with what I want. A new tripod is on the list as well as at least one other lens and all the nickle-and-dime-you-to-death accessories that come with the camera, like extra batteries and a spare charger.

Clinton Huxley
19th century monkeybitch.

Post by Clinton Huxley » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:49 pm

My SLR is at the camera shop for repairs at the mo - should hear back tomorrow what its going to cost to fix....
"I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled"

AND MERRY XMAS TO ONE AND All!

Imagehttp://25kv.co.uk/date_counter.php?date ... 20counting!!![/img-sig]

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:58 pm

Clinton Huxley wrote:My SLR is at the camera shop for repairs at the mo - should hear back tomorrow what its going to cost to fix....
Whatcha got, what's wrong with it, and what is your "no fuckin' way" price?

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:12 pm

So, say I go with the T2. Do I buy it with the lens listed above, or just buy the body and go for a couple of lens of my own choosing? Remember, I will be shooting mainly outdoors, and usually at some distance from the subjects. Robert and FBM know the challenges I'll be working with.

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:18 pm

Get the one in the package, I say. Mainly because it would be much more expensive to buy it separately later, and the camera is designed to work well with that lens. What was it? 18-55mm? You can get a lot of versatility out of that. OTOH, if you expect to do most of your shooting of wolf-sized subjects from 100 yards away and want close-up detail, you'd want to get closer to 200mm on the lens, I think.

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:25 pm

Tip: Be careful about calling it a T2. That's a horse with a different shoe on the other foot. Also, the 18MP T2i would have a better crop factor than the 12MP Rebel T3. That means you would be able to retain more detail even after you cut out a larger amount of the original exposure (cutting off the crappy parts). It could save you from having to buy a more expensive lens later.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:26 pm

FBM wrote:Get the one in the package, I say. Mainly because it would be much more expensive to buy it separately later, and the camera is designed to work well with that lens. What was it? 18-55mm? You can get a lot of versatility out of that. OTOH, if you expect to do most of your shooting of wolf-sized subjects from 100 yards away and want close-up detail, you'd want to get closer to 200mm on the lens, I think.
So what's a good second "long" lens for that camera?

And the "T2" is me being lazy. :hehe:

Clinton Huxley
19th century monkeybitch.

Post by Clinton Huxley » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:28 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
Clinton Huxley wrote:My SLR is at the camera shop for repairs at the mo - should hear back tomorrow what its going to cost to fix....
Whatcha got, what's wrong with it, and what is your "no fuckin' way" price?
It's a Sony. Entry level as far as DSLRs are concerned. I think the mirrors or what- have-you inside have got "out of whack". Needs a good clean, too.
"I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled"

AND MERRY XMAS TO ONE AND All!

Imagehttp://25kv.co.uk/date_counter.php?date ... 20counting!!![/img-sig]

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:29 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
FBM wrote:Get the one in the package, I say. Mainly because it would be much more expensive to buy it separately later, and the camera is designed to work well with that lens. What was it? 18-55mm? You can get a lot of versatility out of that. OTOH, if you expect to do most of your shooting of wolf-sized subjects from 100 yards away and want close-up detail, you'd want to get closer to 200mm on the lens, I think.
So what's a good second "long" lens for that camera?
Erm...I didn't even know the T2i existed half an hour ago. Maybe I should step back and let a Canon person take over...