Microbiology / Genetics question (dear ask a nerd)

Give us a seminar, lecture or lesson on what your 'thing' is. Now with our exclusive ASK-A-NERD!!!
Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist
About me: I am sacrificing a turnip as I type.

Microbiology / Genetics question (dear ask a nerd)

Post by Pappa » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:01 pm

I've got an idea for something I'm hoping to work on soon and could do with a bit of input to help me get some creativity flowing...

Anyone know of the kinds of machinery, lab equipment, chemicals, tools, etc. that might be found in a microbiology/virology/genetics lab? Anything at all that might be used in the lab that relates to the microbes/viruses/bacteria/genes and their upkeep, research, etc.. Just the names of things would help, but if you're give a short explanation of what they do that would be really awesome too.

Edit: I'm fishing for ideas for a game I'm working on, not planning to set up a smallpox lab at home.
For information on ways to help support Rationalia financially, see our funding page.

When the aliens do come, everything we once thought was cool will then make us ashamed.

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist

Re: Microbiology / Genetics question (dear ask a nerd)

Post by Pappa » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:10 pm

For information on ways to help support Rationalia financially, see our funding page.

When the aliens do come, everything we once thought was cool will then make us ashamed.

Azathoth
blind idiot god
blind idiot god

Post by Azathoth » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:13 pm

:panic:

Pappa is making a zombie virus
Outside the ordered universe is that amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity—the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Code: Select all

// Replaces with spaces the braces in cases where braces in places cause stasis 
   $str = str_replace(array("\{","\}")," ",$str);

Clinton Huxley
19th century monkeybitch.

Post by Clinton Huxley » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:14 pm

You'll need a licence for what you're planning
"I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled"

AND MERRY XMAS TO ONE AND All!

Imagehttp://25kv.co.uk/date_counter.php?date ... 20counting!!![/img-sig]

Feck

Post by Feck » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:19 pm

Clinton Huxley wrote:You'll need a licence for what you're planning

no you don't ! you just have to be careful what you order and from whom .
:hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog:
Give me the wine , I don't need the bread

Clinton Huxley

Post by Clinton Huxley » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:21 pm

Feck wrote:
Clinton Huxley wrote:You'll need a licence for what you're planning

no you don't ! you just have to be careful what you order and from whom .
I thought for weaponised necrotising viruses you needed a licence from the Post Office?

Feck

Post by Feck » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:23 pm

I can help but it's a bit of a tall order just to start with Everything ! Is this for writing about or doing ?

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/labware/lab ... talog.html

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist

Post by Pappa » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:56 pm

Feck wrote:I can help but it's a bit of a tall order just to start with Everything ! Is this for writing about or doing ?
I'm not planning on doing any actual science. :hehe: It's for a game idea I'm working on.

Mostly, I'm just fishing for the most common things you might find in these kind of labs as they will form part of the game.

Clinton Huxley

Post by Clinton Huxley » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:58 pm

You need one of those chambers, where you stick your hands inside encased in rubber gloves

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist

Post by Pappa » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:01 pm

Clinton Huxley wrote:You need one of those chambers, where you stick your hands inside encased in rubber gloves
Oh god yes.... for sure. What are they called? :ask:

Clinton Huxley

Post by Clinton Huxley » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:10 pm

Get one of these, to freak the neighbours out

Calilasseia
Butterfly
Butterfly
About me: Destroyer of canards, and merciless shredder of bad ideas. :twisted:

Post by Calilasseia » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:16 pm

A virology laboratory will almost certainly have as part of its equipment lineup an electron microscope. Because most viruses are of a size requiring such an instrument to render them visible. I can tell you right now that this is not something you pick up at your local branch of Tandy. :mrgreen:

Anyone who is serious about wanting to purchase an electron microscope needs to be prepared to write out a cheque for around $1 million in the USA - here in the UK, you're looking at around £700,000 for a high quality instrument capable of both scanning and transmission microscopy work. That's just the capital costs for the equipment and its installation. Once you've shelled out for the special building it needs, the electricity supply, the air conditioning and a couple of other ancillaries, then you've well and truly blown a hole in £1¼ million here in the UK, and you're on your way to spending $2 million in the US. Then there's the matter of running costs. Which includes the cost of maintaining a step-up transformer that provides the machine with a whopping 1 million volts, which is needed to provide the high-energy electron beam that will be used in a top-spec TEM. A step up transformer capable of handling a 1 million volt potential difference will almost certainly need a dedicated 3 phase AC supply into the bargain. A top spec machine will let you resolve features that are separated by distances as small as 0.5 angstroms (50 picometres), which is about half the covalent radius of a ruthenium atom. :)

Feck

Post by Feck » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:44 pm

Pappa wrote:
Clinton Huxley wrote:You need one of those chambers, where you stick your hands inside encased in rubber gloves
Oh god yes.... for sure. What are they called? :ask:
Women ? :leave:

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist

Post by Pappa » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:09 pm

Calilasseia wrote:A virology laboratory will almost certainly have as part of its equipment lineup an electron microscope. Because most viruses are of a size requiring such an instrument to render them visible. I can tell you right now that this is not something you pick up at your local branch of Tandy. :mrgreen:

Anyone who is serious about wanting to purchase an electron microscope needs to be prepared to write out a cheque for around $1 million in the USA - here in the UK, you're looking at around £700,000 for a high quality instrument capable of both scanning and transmission microscopy work. That's just the capital costs for the equipment and its installation. Once you've shelled out for the special building it needs, the electricity supply, the air conditioning and a couple of other ancillaries, then you've well and truly blown a hole in £1¼ million here in the UK, and you're on your way to spending $2 million in the US. Then there's the matter of running costs. Which includes the cost of maintaining a step-up transformer that provides the machine with a whopping 1 million volts, which is needed to provide the high-energy electron beam that will be used in a top-spec TEM. A step up transformer capable of handling a 1 million volt potential difference will almost certainly need a dedicated 3 phase AC supply into the bargain. A top spec machine will let you resolve features that are separated by distances as small as 0.5 angstroms (50 picometres), which is about half the covalent radius of a ruthenium atom. :)
Cheers Cali.... that series of nuggets will actually be very useful to me. :mrgreen:

nellikin
Dirt(y) girl
About me: KSC

Post by nellikin » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:35 pm

I think 'clean bench' is the name of the sterile workspace (which blows air to avoid microbes settling on it). You need an autoclave to sterilise your flasks etc. prior to cultivating microbes. Cultivation generally is done on agar plates with specially added nutrients for specific bacteria, though this is being replaced by genetic identification. These days PCR (polymerase chain reaction) is used to amplify DNA for sequencing. Also, FISH (fluorescence in situ hybridisation) with RNA probes for genetic identification of microbes. Bacteria and stained (often with DAPI or other nasties) prior to identification with a micorscope.

Cultivation is done in standard ovens at different temperatures. You'll need pipettes and vitamin mixes and millipore water (sterile, ultrapure) and all sorts of things. Microtiters and bacterial assay kits are also used to identify / quantify microbes. I think viruses are cultivated using tissue cultures, in funny flasks that lie on their side.

Are these the sorts of things you meant?
To ignore the absence of evidence is the base of true faith.
-Gore Vidal