Epigenetics and Cancer

Give us a seminar, lecture or lesson on what your 'thing' is. Now with our exclusive ASK-A-NERD!!!
MedGen
Primordial Booze
About me: Bad breath: check
Slightly camp: check
Ghastly wife: check

Must be British.

Epigenetics and Cancer

Post by MedGen » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:27 pm

This is actually an essay I wrote last year on epigenetics and its role in cancer. I'm hoping that it will spur a few questions on the matter as I personally find it to be a fascinating area of research.

Please forgive the length of it.
Epigenetics and Cancer

Introduction

Epigenetics is the field of study concerned with the heritable differences in gene expression without changes in the DNA sequence. Primarily this concerns the methylation of CpG dinucleotides at the 5’ C position of cytosine nucleotides, resulting in 5-methyl cytosine, and the acetylation/ deactylation of histone proteins at certain lysine residues [1]. Methylation can be carried out by two mechanisms; maintenance and de novo methylation. The former replicates methylation patterns after DNA replication on the daughter strand, copied from the parental. De novo methylation concerns the addition of new methyl groups to cytosine nucleotides at CpG rich areas of the genome[1]. The results of these processes are the silencing of genes by methylation and subsequent deacetylation of histone lysine residues. The reverse is also true for the demethylation and acetylation of histones, resulting in gene activation. Patterns of methylation have been observed frequently in cancer cell lines, leading to the hypothesis that de novo hypo- and hypermethylation may be a causal mechanism in tumourigenesis[2].

Mechanisms of epigenetic modification
Methylation of CpG dinucleotides is catalysed by DNA methyltransferases (Dnmt’s), whilst histone acetylation is catalysed by histone acetyltransferases (HAT’s) [3] (fig1). Lysine deacetylation is carried out by histone deacetylases (HDAC’s), which is linked with chromatin condensation and formation of heterochromatin [3]. This mechanism of deacetylation may have primarily evolved as a mechanism to prevent over expression of genes in the wake of transcription elongation by DNA polymerases [4].

Additionally it has been observed that histone lysine residues can also undergo methylation by histone methyltransferases (HMT’s), resulting in either activation or inhibition of transcription. To add to this further complexity lysine residues can be mono-, di- or tri-methlyated, which has been thought to be involved in longer term epigenetic “memory” [5].
Fig1. Mechanisms for de novo and maintenance methylation byDNMT3a/b and Dnmt1 respectively during DNA replication prior to cell division [1].

Cancer and epigenetics
The first epigenetic modifications in cancer cells were observed more than two decades ago by Feinberg and Vogelstein [6]. There are two proposed mechanisms involved in cancer; hypomethylation in repetitive sequences resulting in chromosomal instability, and hypermethylation of CpG dinucleotides in promoter sequences of tumour suppressor genes [7, 8]. Hypermethylation of tumour suppressor genes has been observed resulting in silencing of transcription and subsequent deacetylation of histone lysine residues. The areas where epigenetic modification has been observed primarily concern cell checkpoint pathways, cell adhesion and invasion, activation and regulation of apoptosis, DNA repair pathways and response to growth factors [9]. Studies carried out to elucidate gene expression patterns by epigenetic means have identified particular mechanisms that may be universal to breast cancer cell lines. Munot et al show that epigenetic silencing of O6-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase (MGMT) is linked to high grade breast tumour, and may well be a target of future therapy [1, 10].

The Knudson two-hit hypothesis proposes that cancer requires the loss of both alleles of a tumour suppressor gene to initiate tumourigenesis [11] (fig2). Although the first of these requires a heritable or somatic mutation, the second “hit” can be induced by hypermethylation and deacetylation.
Fig2. Potential mechanisms for the Knudson two hit hypothesis involving promoter hypermethylation as a way of inactivating one allele. Mutation and hypermethylation can occur in either order [1].

To test the hypothesis of global hypomethylation, mouse models were constructed which displayed affected cancer incidence, confirming that hypomethylation leads to genomic instability [12]. Additionally polymorphisms within the gene for the enzyme responsible for de novo methylation, Dnmt3b, have been identified as a potential marker of lung cancer susceptibility [13].

Promoter sequence methylation has been linked to the silencing of tumour suppressor genes [1, 8]. Hypermethylation of CpG islands is primarily observed where heritable susceptibility is a causal mechanism of tumourigenesis. Many of the best studied tumour suppressors that undergo mutational inactivation have been observed to be silenced by promoter hypermethylation, including BRCA1 and p16INK4A [1, 8].
It has been hypothesised that hypermethylation of promoters during early stem cell differentiation may confer a selective survival or growth advantages [14]. In a subset of colorectal cancers, systematic inactivation of tumour suppressors by hypermethylation has been observed, even within the same tumour [15]. This observation has been designated the ‘CpG island methylator phenotype’ (CIMP). Most notably this phenotype has been associated with particular mutations of the oncogene BRAF, and microsatellite instability from methylation of the promoter sequence of the mismatch repair pathway gene MLH1. CIMP has also been recorded in other cancer types, including; acute myeloid leukaemia (AML), acute lymphoblastic leukaemia (ALL), oesophageal, glioblastomas, gastric, liver, pancreatic and ovarian cancers (table1) [16].
Table1. Examples of genes involved in key regulatory pathways that exhibit hypermethylation of promoter sequence CpG’s as found in varying cancer types [1].

More recently studies have shown that epigenetic silencing of microRNA’s (miRNA’s) can be observed in certain cancer types [1, 8]. The first example of this was the silencing of miR-127, a translation inhibitor of the oncogene BCL-6, which is linked to transcriptional inhibition of p53 and downstream effectors of p53 in B-cell lymphomas [17]. Reactivation of this miRNA was shown to down regulate the levels of BCL-6 without affecting the levels of mRNA. However this does not appear typical to all cancers, as Diederichs and Haber discovered inhibitory epigenetic therapy had no affect on miRNA expression in lung cancer, which indicates that different regulatory mechanism may be responsible for miRNA expression patterns depending on the malignancy type [17]. Antisense RNA silencing of p15 has recently been observed by epigenetic means. Yu et al observed that antisense RNA can lead to transcriptional inhibition of its sense tumour suppressor gene, opening up another mechanism by which RNAi pathways may be linked to the induction of epigenetic modification of tumour suppressors [18].
Fig3. Translational inhibition of mRNA by RNAi involving miR-127, and inactivation of micro-RNA transcription by promoter methylation. BCL6 has been shown to down regulate p53 and its downstream effector p21, leading to lymphomagenesis. The chemotherapeutic drug 5-aza-CdR can lead to reactivation of miR-127 by inducing expression of the gene [1].

The future of epigenetics and cancer
Epigenetics has become one of the most important emerging fields in the biosciences. It has opened up a window into further evolutionary mechanisms of gene expression regulation, as well as methylation and deacetylation enzymes becoming ideal targets for cancer therapy and as diagnostic tools.
Many recent studies have shown that epigenetic mechanisms are displayed and have been observed in differing malignancy types, leading to the confirmation that these have casual mechanisms in the progression of cancer. They may in fact be linked to several regulatory processes including the cells native RNAi pathways, as well as vital to the survival prospects of cancerous cells. Although so far studies have not revealed the extent to which hypermethylation leads to cancer progression, invasion and metastasis.
In the future we may well see the first ‘methylomes’ published as companions to the genome, and the information contained within may well lead to customised therapies for more than just cancer.

Abbreviations
ALL – acute lymphoblastic leukaemia
AML – acute myeloid leukaemia
CIMP – CpG-island methylator phenotype
DNMT – DNA methyltransferase
HAT – Histone acetyltransferase
HDAC – Histone deactylase complex
HMT – Histone methyltransferases
m5CpG – 5-methlyl CpG
MGMT – O6-methylguanine methyltransferase
miRNA – micro RNA
RNAi – RNA interference

References
[1] Grønbæk. K., Hother. C., Jones. P.A., (2007), Epigenetic changes in cancer, APMIS 115, 1039-1059
[2] Hanahan. D. and Weinberg. R.A, (2000), The hallmarks of cancer, Cell 100, 57-70
[3] Klose. R.J. and Bird .A.P, (2006), Genomic DNA methylation; the mark and its mediators, TRENDS 31 (2), 89-97
[4] Mellor.J., (2006), Dynamic nucleosomes and gene transcription Trends Genet 22 (6), 320-329
[5] Jenuwein. T., (2006), The epigenetic magic of histone lysine methylation FEBS J 273 (14), 3121-3135
[6] Feinberg. A.P. and Vogelstein. B., (1983) Hypomethylation distinguishes gene of some cancers from their normal counterparts, Nature 301 (5895), 89-92
[7] Esteller. M., (2005) Aberrant DNA methylation as a cancer-inducing mechanism, Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol 45, 629-656
[8] Lohrum. M., Stunnenberg. H.G., Logie. C., (2007) The new frontier in cancer research: Deciphering cancer epigenetics, IJBCB 39, 1450-1461
[9] Keshet. I, Schlesinger. Y., Farkash. S., Rand. E., Hecht. M., Segal. E. et al (2006) Evidence for an instructive mechanism of de novo methylation in cancer cells, Nat Genet 38 (2), 149-153
[10] Munot. K., Bell. S.M., Lane. S., Horgan. K., Hanby. A.M., Speirs. V., (2006) Pattern of expression of genes linked to epigenetic silencing in human breast cancer, Human Path 37, 989-999
[11] Knudson. A.G., (2001) Two genetic hits (more or less) to cancer, Nat Rev Cancer 1(2), 157-162
[12] Gaudet. F., Hodgson. J.G., Eden. A., Jackson-Grusby. L., Dausman. J., Gray. J.W., et al, (2003) Induction of tumours in mice by genomic hypomethylation, Science 300 (5618), 489-492
[13] Roberts. C.W., & Orkin. S.H., (2004) The SWI/SNF complex – Chromatin and cancer, Nat Rev Cancer 4 (2), 133-142
[14] Baylin. S.B., & Ohm. J.E., (2006) Epigenetic silencing in cancer – a mechanism for early oncogenic pathway addiction? Nat Rev Cancer 6, 107-116
[15] Toyota. M., Ahuja. N., Ohe-Toyota. M., Herman .J.G., Baylin S.B., Issa. J.P., (1999) CpG island methylator phenotype in colorectal cancer, Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 96, 8681-8686
[16] Issa. J.P., CpG island methylator phenotype in cancer, Nat Rev Cancer 4, 988-993
[17] Diederichs. S., Haber. D.A., (2006) Sequence variations of microRNA’s in human cancer: alterations in predicted secondary structure do not affect processing, Cancer Res 66, 6097-6104
[18] Yu. W., Gius. D., Onyango. P., Muldoon-Jacobs. K., Karp. J., Feinberg. A.P., Cui. H., (2008) Epigenetic silencing of tumour suppressor gene p15 by its antisense RNA, Nature 451 (10), 202-207
The nature of reality is not subject to the decrees of human institutions

If having an identity is to have an essence, I do not have an identity. My sense of self it too varied and contextual - Kenneth Strike

Chinaski
Mazel tov cocktail
About me: Barfly

Re: Epigenetics and Cancer

Post by Chinaski » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:36 pm

Too many technical terms :( Could you sum it up in layman's terms?
Is there for honest poverty
That hangs his heid and a' that
The coward slave, we pass him by
We dare be puir for a' that.

Imagehttp://imagegen.last.fm/iTunesFIXED/rec ... mphony.gif[/img2]

MedGen
Primordial Booze

Must be British.

Post by MedGen » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:43 pm

FrigidSymphony wrote:Too many technical terms :( Could you sum it up in layman's terms?
A bit too specific? Any particular section that warrants explaining the most? I can go through and do a bit at a time if you like.

If having an identity is to have an essence, I do not have an identity. My sense of self it too varied and contextual - Kenneth Strike

Chinaski
Mazel tov cocktail
About me: Barfly

Post by Chinaski » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:45 pm

What's the basic theory behind epigenics? Something to do with genetic mutations without changing the DNA?
Is there for honest poverty
That hangs his heid and a' that
The coward slave, we pass him by
We dare be puir for a' that.

Imagehttp://imagegen.last.fm/iTunesFIXED/rec ... mphony.gif[/img2]

Fanny
Benny Lava Lava

Post by Fanny » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:54 pm

Erm why did you post it here? Surely it's better over at RD for the feedback you want (I haven't checked). I read the essay and it's really interesting. For a scientist it's giving a good overview, but for a layperson it's boring as fuck.
Fanny - obnoxious bastard extraodinaire

MedGen
Primordial Booze

Must be British.

Post by MedGen » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:24 pm

FrigidSymphony wrote:What's the basic theory behind epigenics? Something to do with genetic mutations without changing the DNA?
Basically there are additional chemical modifications that occur at specific nucleotides in a sequence that can alter the way that region is expressed. These changes are transient though, where mutations to the actual DNA are permanent. They can be added and removed, so it adds a highly dynamic nature to the way gene expression is controlled, plus it has the potential of being transgenerational, and may well be responsible for a lot of variation in humans and some forms of disease predisposition.

The only issue is that people often see this as "acquired characteristic", or Lamarckism as it is best known, because it is not directly encoded in the DNA. The epigenetic marks themselves are however influenced by the environment, but so is the rate of mutation, so the argument for Lamarckism is fallacious.
Fanny wrote:Erm why did you post it here? Surely it's better over at RD for the feedback you want (I haven't checked). I read the essay and it's really interesting. For a scientist it's giving a good overview, but for a layperson it's boring as fuck.
As I said, its an interesting area of research. I wasn't looking for feedback as to whether it is right or not. What I'm trying to do is improve on my ability to portray science to the laymen, which I am quite frankly fucking atrocious at. So I thought I'd post a piece of work I had on my hard drive and see a) how people reacted with regard to the clarity of writing, and b) what I need to make it accessible to the layman. So any constructive comments?

Fanny
Benny Lava Lava

Post by Fanny » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:45 pm

MasterBaker wrote:
FrigidSymphony wrote:What's the basic theory behind epigenics? Something to do with genetic mutations without changing the DNA?
Basically there are additional chemical modifications that occur at specific nucleotides in a sequence that can alter the way that region is expressed. These changes are transient though, where mutations to the actual DNA are permanent. They can be added and removed, so it adds a highly dynamic nature to the way gene expression is controlled, plus it has the potential of being transgenerational, and may well be responsible for a lot of variation in humans and some forms of disease predisposition.

The only issue is that people often see this as "acquired characteristic", or Lamarckism as it is best known, because it is not directly encoded in the DNA. The epigenetic marks themselves are however influenced by the environment, but so is the rate of mutation, so the argument for Lamarckism is fallacious.

Constructive comments: you write succintly and logically and I followed everything. The crystal clear type of response to FS above could be incorporated into the introduction. Root technical terms, in parentheses, could be incorporated at the appropriate stage. Your introduction wades into terminology which can only be deduced by the layperson from reading into the context of the rest of the article.

Feel free to tell me I'm talking wet shite.

MedGen
Primordial Booze

Must be British.

Post by MedGen » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:12 pm

Fanny wrote:
MasterBaker wrote:

Constructive comments: you write succintly and logically and I followed everything. The crystal clear type of response to FS above could be incorporated into the introduction. Root technical terms, in parentheses, could be incorporated at the appropriate stage. Your introduction wades into terminology which can only be deduced by the layperson from reading into the context of the rest of the article.

Feel free to tell me I'm talking wet shite.
That's what I'm looking for. The biggest problem I realised straight away, if a little late, is that I'm not very good at gauging what level to aim for. This piece was originally for my peers essentially, so it's not the best piece of writing to start with perhaps. Maybe a ____(insert topic here) 101 might be a better option. Cheers lad.

Psi Wavefunction
Cекси техническая лаборатория
About me: I kill threads WITH SCIENCE!

I like Crascuits. :coffee:

Post by Psi Wavefunction » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:37 pm

Thanks, this is actually helpful in understanding the background behind my ciliate genomics essay for class... :cheers:

Just started getting into the whole chromatin modification thing -- seems rather complicated!

Actually, our research is partly dabbling there as well, surprisingly -- this increasingly complicated transcription factor turns out to be involved in cell cycle regulation, misc developmental genes, and... chromatin! Apparently it de-acetylates things... :shock:

Weird! So much work for one gene...

Psi Wavefunction

Post by Psi Wavefunction » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:39 pm

Oh, and btw... if you're interested, there's a brand spanking new review on epigenetics and cell cycle in this month's issue of Nature Reviews Mol Cell Biol :tup: :coffee:

Not that I browse Nature Reviews on my spare time or anything :shifty:

Psi Wavefunction

Post by Psi Wavefunction » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:51 pm

MasterBaker wrote: As I said, its an interesting area of research. I wasn't looking for feedback as to whether it is right or not. What I'm trying to do is improve on my ability to portray science to the laymen, which I am quite frankly fucking atrocious at. So I thought I'd post a piece of work I had on my hard drive and see a) how people reacted with regard to the clarity of writing, and b) what I need to make it accessible to the layman. So any constructive comments?

Perhaps school-related work may not be the best thing to post for the general public -- class essays are done to extract high marks from the prof, not to educate people; so the writing style tends to be a bit on the dry side. You can't use analogies to explain certain points, for example... you can't dwell longer on the more difficult areas, etc. On a course essay, the point is to show off to the prof how much you've learned. When educating the public, no one gives a fuck how much you've learned -- it's how well you can present it that matters.

That said, the essay was pretty good for scientific reading, but perhaps a bit too 'solid' and dry for the layman. Also, perhaps a bit too detailed -- the layman doesn't care as much as we do about specific gene names, etc. I've learned thus far it's best to keep the gene populations to a minimum -- "Then, a protein helps do process X" is usually just fine for the sane people!

When doing presentations, my supervisor drilled into me to only write what's important. Research typically has many digressions along the way, and you don't need to broadcast all of them. You read a paper, and it's as if the researchers knew exactly what was gonna happen next, and picked the perfect hypothesis! :lol: They had plenty of digressions and dead ends along the way, but there's just no point in writing that into the paper! (which skews the public perception of what research is really like, but nevermind that...)

So I no longer make slides with bullet points about various facts (This phylum has 203934098 species and 409 genera and bleh... this gene is whatever bp long and has blah domains and it's GenBank accession ID is... :yawn: ), but just try to focus on only what matters, to make a story that people will remember for longer than 2 seconds after my talk's over. No one will remember the random details; there's just no point!

Anyway, hope at least something in my verbal dumb there was helpful! :coffee:

MedGen
Primordial Booze

Must be British.

Post by MedGen » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:07 pm

Awesome feedback Psi, thanks a bunch, plus the article recommendation, I'll have a gander at that.

Thanks to everyone who's given feedback, it's been fantastic. :tup:

The Curious Squid
Lazy Spic Bastard
About me: a sexually deviant misogynist sexist pig who's into sex trafficking, sexual slavery, murder, bondage, rape and pre-frontal lobotomy of your victims.

Post by The Curious Squid » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:29 am

MedGen (you like how I refuse to use your new name? ;) )

Any chance you can try and explain what's going on in the OP at a much more easy to digest level? I tried to keep up with it but my complete lack of any Biology background made me glaze over as I went along.
We have no great war, no great depression.
Our great war is a spiritual war.
Our great depression is our lives.
JimC wrote:Ratz is just beautiful... :woot:

Where else could you go from the taste of raw egg to licking marmalade off tits in such a short space of time?
Pensioner wrote:I worked for 50 years and that's long enough for anyone, luckily I worked to live not lived for work.
Lozzer wrote:You ain't Scottish unless you live off Chicken nuggets, White Lightening and speak like an incomprehensible cow.

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:40 am

Fanny wrote:but for a layperson it's boring as fuck.
Please note that the above view does not apply to all laypersons. Thank you. Image
no fences

Fanny
Benny Lava Lava

Post by Fanny » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:48 am

Charlou wrote:
Fanny wrote:but for a layperson it's boring as fuck.
Please note that the above view does not apply to all laypersons. Thank you. Image
This is true. I tried to make amends for this particular generalisation, rudeness and aloofness in my next post.