Photography - Technique and Equipment considerations

Give us a seminar, lecture or lesson on what your 'thing' is. Now with our exclusive ASK-A-NERD!!!
FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Re: Photography - Technique and Equipment considerations

Post by FBM » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:56 am

So do I, but I only use the jpgs to triage the images before I move them to my hard drive. I can quickly delete all the crap and only move the RAW/NEF.
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:00 am

You don't need to capture jpgs to triage them. Each raw has a small preview jpg associated with it (it's what your camera uses when you review your photos). You can get plugins for windows explorer or other types of file managers that can show that preview when you look at the raws.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:06 am

Not sure what I would gain by doing it that way. There's 48gig of memory in the camera, so I never use more than a small fraction of its capacity.
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:09 am

It saves you having to delete two images (the raw and its jpg) instead of one.

And your photos will download off your camera quicker. They'll also capture quicker, so you will get the maximum burst rate of your camera.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:39 am

If you never fill up are you at maximum pixel size and quality??
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:40 am

rEvolutionist wrote:It saves you having to delete two images (the raw and its jpg) instead of one.

And your photos will download off your camera quicker. They'll also capture quicker, so you will get the maximum burst rate of your camera.
Mmmm...Thing is, I'm not downloading anything off my camera but the few RAW/NEF files that I want. The crap shots never leave the memory card. I will check on whether or not it affects the burst rate on this camera, though. Not that I ever shoot in bursts, but I might someday. :eddy:

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:41 am

macdoc wrote:If you never fill up are you at maximum pixel size and quality??
Shooting in RAW, you always get the maximum data file, regardless of how much memory is left on your card. When it fills up, it just stops taking images.

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:33 am

OK, I saw a lethargic mosquito in my bathroom and decided to compare the rig I made with my smartphone and a laser pointer lens with my regular macro setup.

Here's the smartphone rig's results, uncropped or otherwise modified:

The (enhanced) original from my camera/macro lens:

Gradually cropping down (using 2 different shots):

Well, that was fun.

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:37 am

K thanks - was not aware of that.

••

This is an interesting exercise in colour.

On the Retina it's bang on ....

On the Dell standard colour it's a bit over saturated but if I switch to Adobe RGB it's almost identical to the Retina. sRGB a bit darker.

One of my fav photos
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:48 am

Those colours are pretty nice there, Mac. They've clipped a little bit, but still look purty.

Robert_S
Cookie Monster
About me: Too young to die of boredom, too old to grow up.

Post by Robert_S » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:59 am

I'll go out on a limb and dissent here.

I rarely utilize RAW. I only use it when there's a lot of difference between the highlights and shadows and I want to keep the stuff in the shadows visible. Other than that, the colour depth of a fine JPEG usually suffices. But then, I like the low key stuff with nearly blacked out shadows.
What I've found with a few discussions I've had lately is this self-satisfaction that people express with their proffessed open mindedness. In realty it ammounts to wilful ignorance and intellectual cowardice as they are choosing to not form any sort of opinion on a particular topic. Basically "I don't know and I'm not going to look at any evidence because I'm quite happy on this fence."
-Mr P

The Net is best considered analogous to communication with disincarnate intelligences. As any neophyte would tell you. Do not invoke that which you have no facility to banish.
Audley Strange

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:04 am

Yeah, I only really use it when I need to recover highlights, or left white balance set on fluorescent, or really want to do a top notch print. Otherwise I just work with jpgs. jpgs are fine for online and small prints, especially if you set the in-camera settings right.

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:05 am

I have to agree. Most of the time, the difference between JPG and RAW isn't even easily visible. Especially after a few shots...

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:36 am

Interesting reading - and shots. Am lernin' stuff!

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:49 am

Ah. I forgot to see how the smartphone rig's image stands up to cropping:

Shit. Can't beat it for the price. I think I paid fifteen bucks for the laser pointer that I got the lens from.