I love it when a plane comes together!

Give us a seminar, lecture or lesson on what your 'thing' is. Now with our exclusive ASK-A-NERD!!!
Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Re: I love it when a plane comes together!

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:56 pm

klr wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:May I just say at this point "You're nuts." That is all.
I have three of those Tornado GR.1 kits, for they are truly wonderful. But because of all those decals , I've yet to start any of them. I reckon I could build maybe five, six or even more WW II fighters for the same time and effort as one of the Tornados.
I know if I tried that there would be strong evidence of a tornado. :what:
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:38 pm

Another one straight out of the factory - the last lick of paint hasn't even dried yet, and the masking tape under the wheels won't be removed until it finds a storage space. Say hello to the new Airfix Spitfire PR.XIX (photo reconaissance):

This kit harks back to the old days in terms of decals - just 12 for this RAF aircraft, and 4 of those were the roundel centres. :tea:
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

klr

Post by klr » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:37 pm

Just finished ... another Corsair. This time a Smer (ex-Heller) kit, and another Marine ace, Ira Kepford:

I fitted it with a spare bomb from the Academy kit above. I figured that even aces had to do some ground support, especially if they were Marines.

The upper wing surfaces have a semi-gloss finish(USN regulations :hmph:), which was left deliberately patchy.
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

klr

Post by klr » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:44 pm

... and yet another Corsair, this time an old Airfix kit in the marks of Fleet Air Arm (aka the Royal Navy air arm):

FAA Corsairs had clipped wings to allow them to be stored in the smaller hangars of Royal Navy carriers. That was the easy bit. Removing all the thousands of bogus rivets and correcting various other problems (or trying to) ... :banghead:

I knew this kit was crude, having built it back in the day (as in the early 1980's). But I was lured in by the FAA paint scheme. :lay:

klr

Post by klr » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:51 pm

Judging by the overwhelming recent responses to this thread, everyone is dying to know what my next kit will be. :Erasb:

So, while I have a fast-growing stash of "just completed" kits, I will restrain myself for now and post some purty pictures of a Douglas TBD Devestator (Airfix) in pre-war colours. This kit was built built some years ago:

Applying the wing decals on that corrugated surface was an interesting experience, but I got there. Suffice to say that I don't build too many Ju 52s.

I have another of this kit in storage, waiting to be built as an aircraft of VT-8 from Midway ...

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:00 am

Kev, do you have a night-fighter Corsair kit?

klr

Post by klr » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:03 am

Gawdzilla wrote:Kev, do you have a night-fighter Corsair kit?
I do of a Korean war version, although it's not yet built. Guess who the pilot is of the featured aircraft? :whistle:

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:11 am

klr wrote:
I do of a Korean war version, although it's not yet built. Guess who the pilot is of the featured aircraft? :whistle:
Leon Trotsky?

klr

Post by klr » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:53 am

Gawdzilla wrote:
klr wrote:
Leon Trotsky?
:toetap:

http://www.acepilots.com/korea_bordelon.html

GenesForLife
Bertie Wooster

Post by GenesForLife » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:53 pm

Lovely stuff :)

I've always had a thing for planes.

klr

Post by klr » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:03 pm

GenesForLife wrote:Lovely stuff :)

I've always had a thing for planes.
Then hang around, as I'm going to post some more soon ... promise. :pardon:

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:56 pm

I'm uploading C-47 pix now.

Calilasseia
Butterfly
Butterfly
About me: Destroyer of canards, and merciless shredder of bad ideas. :twisted:

Post by Calilasseia » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:36 am

I've just been trawling the web for information about WWII US fighters (in particular, which of them was nicknamed "Whistling Death" because of its unusual fly-past noise), and I alighted upon this bizarre anecdote from Wikipedia's article on the F4U Corsair, which I suspect will amuse 'Zilla enormously ... :)
One particularly interesting kill was scored by a Marine Lieutenant R. R. Klingman of VMF-312 Checkerboards, over Okinawa. Klingman was in pursuit of a Kawasaki Ki-45 Toryu ("Nick") twin engine fighter at extremely high altitude when his guns jammed due to the gun lubrication thickening from the extreme cold. He simply flew up and chopped off the Ki-45's tail with the big propeller of the Corsair. Despite missing five inches (127 mm) off the end of his propeller blades, he managed to land safely after this ramming attack. He was awarded the Navy Cross.
So apparently this thing was tough enough to let you use the propeller as a buzz saw. :mrgreen:

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:42 am

Calilasseia wrote:I've just been trawling the web for information about WWII US fighters (in particular, which of them was nicknamed "Whistling Death" because of its unusual fly-past noise), and I alighted upon this bizarre anecdote from Wikipedia's article on the F4U Corsair, which I suspect will amuse 'Zilla enormously ... :)
One particularly interesting kill was scored by a Marine Lieutenant R. R. Klingman of VMF-312 Checkerboards, over Okinawa. Klingman was in pursuit of a Kawasaki Ki-45 Toryu ("Nick") twin engine fighter at extremely high altitude when his guns jammed due to the gun lubrication thickening from the extreme cold. He simply flew up and chopped off the Ki-45's tail with the big propeller of the Corsair. Despite missing five inches (127 mm) off the end of his propeller blades, he managed to land safely after this ramming attack. He was awarded the Navy Cross.
So apparently this thing was tough enough to let you use the propeller as a buzz saw. :mrgreen:
There were several "Fox 4" kills in WWII.

klr

Post by klr » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:31 am

Calilasseia wrote:I've just been trawling the web for information about WWII US fighters (in particular, which of them was nicknamed "Whistling Death" because of its unusual fly-past noise), and I alighted upon this bizarre anecdote from Wikipedia's article on the F4U Corsair, which I suspect will amuse 'Zilla enormously ... :)
The Bristol Beaufighter was called "whispering death" by the Japanese, but purely because of the sound of the engine - nothing to do with ramming or "chewing" the enemy. :hehe:

Some Royal Navy aircraft (supposedly) had their blades cropped to help preserve the supply of propellers, as the aircraft tended to nose-pitch into the deck during many landings, thus wrecking the blades. Cropping the blades eliminated this problem, while having very little effect on performance.
Gawdzilla wrote: ...
There were several "Fox 4" kills in WWII.
:lol:

Still working away on kits BTW, but it's mostly tanks at the moment. I know I have plenty of pics of completed kits that I could post, but I need to organise them first. :lay: