Eyes (I'ze) in Korea: Pics and Discussion

Give us a seminar, lecture or lesson on what your 'thing' is. Now with our exclusive ASK-A-NERD!!!
FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Eyes (I'ze) in Korea: Pics and Discussion

Post by FBM » Fri May 01, 2009 12:59 am

A few people have expressed mild to moderate interest in life in South Korea, so here's a page for you to ask/discuss anything you like about it. I've been here since 1996, minus a year stint in Thailand, so I can probably answer your questions. If not, I'll find it out for you. A picture is worth a thousand words, so I plan to just post a photo or two from time to time and if you have any questions or comments about it, shoot.

May as well start with the little hamlet where I am. This is from last winter (duh):
streetandsnow.jpg
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Re: Eyes (I'ze) in Korea: Pics and Discussion

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri May 01, 2009 1:03 am

Do they have any turtle ships there yet?
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Fri May 01, 2009 1:04 am

Nearby city, a few weeks ago:

"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Fri May 01, 2009 1:09 am

Gawdzilla wrote:Do they have any turtle ships there yet?
:lol: 'Fraid I'm a bit too far from the water. And the museums. You're probably one of only a very few non-Korean people not living in Korea who's even heard of the 거북선! :tup: :clap: A couple of days ago was the birthday of the guy who built those ships and kicked Japan's ass back to their island. Yi Sun Shin or something like that.

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Fri May 01, 2009 1:18 am

No surprise these two companies hooked up:

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri May 01, 2009 1:31 am

FBM wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:Do they have any turtle ships there yet?
:lol: 'Fraid I'm a bit too far from the water. And the museums. You're probably one of only a very few non-Korean people not living in Korea who's even heard of the 거북선! :tup: :clap: A couple of days ago was the birthday of the guy who built those ships and kicked Japan's ass back to their island. Yi Sun Shin or something like that.
Believe it or not, they're featured in "Ages of Empire II". :mrgreen:

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Fri May 01, 2009 1:37 am

Gawdzilla wrote:Believe it or not, they're featured in "Ages of Empire II". :mrgreen:
I'll be damned. Who'd a thunk it?

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri May 01, 2009 1:47 am

FBM wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:Believe it or not, they're featured in "Ages of Empire II". :mrgreen:
Hey, they're NEAT. And we can sneak a little multiculturalism into the mix when they're not looking. :hehe:

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Fri May 01, 2009 1:53 am

Gawdzilla wrote:
FBM wrote:
Hey, they're NEAT. And we can sneak a little multiculturalism into the mix when they're not looking. :hehe:
Oh, no joke. The first time I went to the museum and saw it IRL, I thought, "Shit. I could make one of those. All I need is a lake to put it in." Must have been at least one Korean at Ensemble, eh?

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Fri May 01, 2009 1:58 am

a1.jpg

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri May 01, 2009 2:00 am

FBM wrote:Oh, no joke. The first time I went to the museum and saw it IRL, I thought, "Shit. I could make one of those. All I need is a lake to put it in." Must have been at least one Korean at Ensemble, eh?
The historical scenarios cover just about every major civilization, some 20 in all, IIRC. You can fight them all or pick an choose. I went through in order, slaying as I went. :food:

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Fri May 01, 2009 2:00 am

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Fri May 01, 2009 2:02 am

Gawdzilla wrote:
FBM wrote:Oh, no joke. The first time I went to the museum and saw it IRL, I thought, "Shit. I could make one of those. All I need is a lake to put it in." Must have been at least one Korean at Ensemble, eh?
The historical scenarios cover just about every major civilization, some 20 in all, IIRC. You can fight them all or pick an choose. I went through in order, slaying as I went. :food:
:tup: The main reason I won't buy games is that if I had them, I'd never do anything else.

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Fri May 01, 2009 1:33 pm

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri May 01, 2009 1:45 pm

We were going from Chinhae to Pusan one time in a Navy bus. We passed some very steep hillsides well terraced with paddies. One of the guys looked down and saw a farmer plowing a paddy. He laughed and said, "Look at that idiot, he can't even drive a tractor!" I tapped him on the shoulder and said, "Could YOU get a tractor into that spot?" He had no clue what I was asking.