Veggie Oil as Substitute for Diesel

Give us a seminar, lecture or lesson on what your 'thing' is. Now with our exclusive ASK-A-NERD!!!
FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Re: Veggie Oil as Substitute for Diesel

Post by FBM » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:03 am

'zilla:

Upgraded filtering procedure: (Still trying to keep it as simple as possible by using a gravity-fed supply line)

I have 20-litre bottles of unfiltered WVO, a hand-pumped siphon, clear tubing, a very large truck oil filter and collection recepticles.

The siphon and tubing are pretty straightforward. To prep the oil filter, I drilled a hole in the bottom and used JB Weld to affix the tubing over the hole. On the other end, I sealed the peripheral holes (they would just let the oil flow through without getting filtered) and left the central hole open. The central hole is where the filtered oil comes out.

So I connect the tubing to the siphon, which has the intake submerged in the unfiltered WVO, give it a few pumps, and so far, there's a steady flow of nicely filtered oil coming out. I have more tube than is absolutely necessary, so I drape it over this and that so that it has a couple of points that act as s-traps, where most of the larger particles settle, without going into the filter at all. So far so good. Of course, it's only been about 10 minutes... :mrgreen:
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:06 am

Just got my siphoning system slapped together and running:

"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:09 am

By the time it's dumped into the final jug, it's been through the large truck oil filter, which I'm hoping is good enough to put into the tank. We'll find out soon enough.

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:24 am

Looks like I'm getting 1 liter in about 3~4 minutes. First sample to be sent to the lab, where they'll use a microscope to measure the particles:

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:02 am

Bump for newbies.

How the hell did that last pic get here? I just took it a couple of weeks ago... :think:

Feck

Post by Feck » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:18 am

FBM wrote:Bump for newbies.

How the hell did that last pic get here? I just took it a couple of weeks ago... :think:
yep You made a right pigs ear of it :mrgreen:
:hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog:
Give me the wine , I don't need the bread

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:23 am

Hell, I sure didn't put it there. I haven't even thought about this thread in months. Neither has anyone else, AFAICT.

I did delete some old photos from my hard drive...maybe the tags matched and now it's reading the new photo from my HD? I'm no tekkie... :think:

Those look like lefties, anyway. :hehe: :food:

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:03 am

FBM wrote:Hell, I sure didn't put it there. I haven't even thought about this thread in months. Neither has anyone else, AFAICT.

I did delete some old photos from my hard drive...maybe the tags matched and now it's reading the new photo from my HD? I'm no tekkie... :think:

Filename overlap. The curse of digital cameras.
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:11 am

Gawdzilla wrote:
FBM wrote:Hell, I sure didn't put it there. I haven't even thought about this thread in months. Neither has anyone else, AFAICT.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say. Filename overlap. :mrgreen:

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:15 am

FBM wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say. Filename overlap. :mrgreen:
I just insert the date in from of each filename when I import them. Copy-and-paste after the first one. It helps when I'll looking for something and I have a vague idea of the date. If I'm wanting it bad enough to hunt for it I clone the pix and give it a meaningful name along with the date. (If that hasn't confused you let me know and I'll finish the job.)
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:01 am

Update: System upgrade. I got my hands on an actual diesel fuel filter for my model of car and put it in line instead of that huge engine oil filter. Now I can trust that it filters down to the specific µm rating required, as well as keeping water out, which I'm not sure the engine oil filter did.
IMG1076.jpg
IMG1075.jpg

JacksSmirkingRevenge
Grand Wazoo
About me: Half man - half yak.

Post by JacksSmirkingRevenge » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:58 am

Completely forgot about this thread.
Awesome stuff there!
Still using the same vehicle? Any problems evident now that some time has elapsed since you started?

Edit - I think I heard somewhere that WVO is better as fuel after it has been through a few heat cycles (as opposed to fresh stuff) are you able to tell if this is true or not? Do you suppose that different sources of WVO would yield different quality fuel?
Sent from my Interositor using Twatatalk.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:31 am

My Subaru diesel says "No Biodiesel", and I'm sure its use would void the warranty...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

redunderthebed
Commie Bastard
About me: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in each hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Post by redunderthebed » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:04 am

JimC wrote:My Subaru diesel says "No Biodiesel", and I'm sure its use would void the warranty...
have you used the caltex premium diesel that craig lowndes being flogging off jim?
Trolldor wrote:Ahh cardinal Pell. He's like a monkey after a lobotomy and three lines of cocaine.
The Pope was today knocked down at the start of Christmas mass by a woman who hopped over the barriers. The woman was said to be, "Mentally unstable."

Which is probably why she went unnoticed among a crowd of Christians.
Cormac wrote: One thing of which I am certain. The world is a better place with you in it. Stick around please. The universe will eventually get around to offing all of us. No need to help it in its efforts...

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:51 pm

JacksSmirkingRevenge wrote:Completely forgot about this thread.
Awesome stuff there!
Still using the same vehicle? Any problems evident now that some time has elapsed since you started?

Edit - I think I heard somewhere that WVO is better as fuel after it has been through a few heat cycles (as opposed to fresh stuff) are you able to tell if this is true or not? Do you suppose that different sources of WVO would yield different quality fuel?
I only used PVO (pure veggie oil, not waste) for a short while until I found a source for WVO. Tbh, I would have to do a lot of detailed record-keeping and control a buttload of variables in order to figure out if there's a difference. I've been using the same vehicle since I starte this project, about 4 years ago. A couple of weeks ago, it started losing power intermittently, and finally it got so bad I took it to the shop and had the fuel filter replaced. (I collected the old one and cleaned it out. That's the one I'm using as a filter now.) At first, I assumed it was due to inadequate filtering of the WVO. But I got to looking around online and discovered that you're supposed to drain diesel fuel filters periodically (up to once a month). I've never done it at all. So maybe the filtering I was doing wasn't so bad, after all. Anyhoo, from here on out, I'm going to do regular upkeep on the fuel filter like I should have been doing all along.
JimC wrote:My Subaru diesel says "No Biodiesel", and I'm sure its use would void the warranty...
Yeah, I wouldn't do it on a vehicle still under warranty, either. Mine's about 10 years old. Maybe more. I forget. Anyway, if it goes tits-up, it's not that big of a loss.
redunderthebed wrote:
have you used the caltex premium diesel that craig lowndes being flogging off jim?
:dunno: I'm gonna guess that this has something to do with something that people know about and I don't...