Internal HDDs, what should I get?

Give us a seminar, lecture or lesson on what your 'thing' is. Now with our exclusive ASK-A-NERD!!!
Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Re: Internal HDDs, what should I get?

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:22 pm

I've always been partial to Seagates.
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:30 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:I've always been partial to Seagates.
Between internal and external drives, I have units from all four of the above manufacturers, plus at least one from Fujitsu, who are now leaving the business IIRC.

The most recent internal drive I bought was a 2TB Western Digital model, only last week. It's from their "Caviar Green" range, with the slower spin rate of 5400 rpm - many internal drives are 7200 rpm, especially 3 1/2 models. But it has a big buffer cache, and it's really, really, really quiet. I mean, seriously quiet.

I'm not so enthusiastic about WD portable drives, but that's not an issue here.

EDIT: For my main PC, I have one 1TB drive each from Hitachi and Seagate. I also have a 2TB "desktop" external drive and a 1TB portable from Seagate, both relatively new. I like both of those. And I bought a Toshiba 1TB portable only today.
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:36 pm

So you're saying look for the most bang for the buck regardless of manufacturer?

klr

Post by klr » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:48 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:So you're saying look for the most bang for the buck regardless of manufacturer?
That's what I normally do. I see no real reason to favour one manufacturer over others. There should be much of a muchness between them. They all have advanced inbuilt self-diagnostic features (lookup SMART).

My current laptop drive (1TB) is Hitachi. So of the 4 internal drives in my 3 PCs at present, there are 2 from Hitachi, and one each from WD and Seagate. All of those were purchased by me, upgrading from earlier drives I'd bought, or whatever was in the laptop to begin.

I've just realised it would be prudent to create a detailed inventory of my hard drives. :geek:
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:51 pm

Looking at $140 for hot 3Ts at Amazon.

klr

Post by klr » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:52 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Looking at $140 for hot 3Ts at Amazon.
That sounds about right. I'm guessing you have to add some tax to that. Prices over here are "all in", as we don't have your state-by-state tax variations.

klr

Post by klr » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:55 pm

If you can get a 3-year warranty (or better), that's worth paying more for.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:24 pm

No sales taxes, no shipping on that amount.

klr

Post by klr » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:28 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:No sales taxes, no shipping on that amount.
All the better then ...

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:32 am

For my 2 cents I always go with WD. Avoid Maxtor like the plague. I've owned two and both failed.

WD comes in three flavours (basically): Black, Blue, and Green, which equate to performance, standard, low power consumption (i.e. not so great performance). I've got a 1TB WD Green in my machine that I use for storage and it's just dandy. My OS and programs are on a 150GB VelociRaptor.

(Maxtor is now Seagate)

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:38 am

The one that ate my computer was a Maxtor.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:58 am

The next question is automatic synching software. I'd be interested in this as well, as I am fucking hopeless at manually backing up my data.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

klr

Post by klr » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:43 am

rEvolutionist wrote:The next question is automatic synching software. I'd be interested in this as well, as I am fucking hopeless at manually backing up my data.
I still do this manually with FreeFileSync, but it's possible to automate to some degree.

There are of course a zillion possible programs for backing up. :?

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:48 am

I need one that will update some directory backups once and then only the subs that change, and do other directories on a daily basis.

Is that so much to ask?

klr

Post by klr » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:59 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:I need one that will update some directory backups once and then only the subs that change, and do other directories on a daily basis.

Is that so much to ask?
Nope, but there are just so many programs to evaluate. Even just the free ones. :?