Some fancy work I did on the ASPM protein...

GenesForLife
Bertie Wooster

Some fancy work I did on the ASPM protein...

Post by GenesForLife » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:54 pm

Calilasseia might have already enlightened you about the importance of this gene and this protein in the determination of cranial capacity (a nonsense mutation causes microcephaly) , I wish to add some details on it's structure... basically, the protein is of an uncharacterized nature, and in these cases one could well try and apply the technology of bioinformatics for de-novo structural prediction, which is what I did using the Swiss-MODEL homology modelling software.

The protein itself has 3477 amino acids, the software was able to predictively model the structure of three unique segments of residue ranges 47-142 , 959-1260 and 2622-2693
with sequence similarities in the 20-30% range to proteins of a similar structure already verified, which served as templates, I recommend you stay tuned for structural eye candy tomorrow :tup:

Hyrax

Re: Some fancy work I did on the ASPM protein...

Post by Hyrax » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:10 pm

Slightly over my head there but to summarize you are using a model to predict the tertiary (or quarternary, whichever) structure of a known aa sequence? How accurate are these models considered to be? Presumably knowing the structure can lead to better understanding the specific biochemical effects it has?

I'm off to find Cali's post :coffee:
I'd guess that most or all of the people here are fully in support of organ donation but it is still an opt in shceme so any Brits here if you haven't already please REGISTER NOW

GenesForLife
Bertie Wooster

Post by GenesForLife » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:28 am

Hyrax wrote:Slightly over my head there but to summarize you are using a model to predict the tertiary (or quarternary, whichever) structure of a known aa sequence? How accurate are these models considered to be? Presumably knowing the structure can lead to better understanding the specific biochemical effects it has?

I'm off to find Cali's post :coffee:
Yup, that's the one, Cali's posts were on the old board, with 4 research papers being summarized...
These models are useful but not much more than that, not least because these aren't validated structures, but they can be highly useful given sequence similarity ratings of 50% or more.

Feck

Post by Feck » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:31 am

POINH
:hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog:
Give me the wine , I don't need the bread

GenesForLife
Bertie Wooster

Post by GenesForLife » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:42 am

Feck wrote:POINH
Excuse me?