the Upside Down Tortoise Enigma

Post Reply
User avatar
klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
Posts: 32964
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:25 pm
About me: The money was just resting in my account.
Location: Airstrip Two
Contact:

the Upside Down Tortoise Enigma

Post by klr » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:15 pm

As you might expect, there are pros and cons to being big, and being able to right yourself ...
Depending on your point of view, it is one of life’s great questions. How does a tortoise that has flipped onto its back, get up again?

Depending on your point of view, it is one of life’s great questions.

How does a tortoise that has flipped onto its back, get up again?

It’s not a rhetorical question, and it goes beyond being a metaphorical or metaphysical query, or a subject for drunken debate.

For a tortoise it is a deadly serious matter; being able to right itself counts as one of life’s epic struggles, a potential matter of life and death.

Now scientists have investigated this struggle in detail, determining if and how tortoises have evolved to do it.

...
continued: http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20150108 ... ise-enigma
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

User avatar
pErvinalia
Off his meds
Posts: 51031
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:08 pm
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'
Location: dystopia
Contact:

Re: the Upside Down Tortoise Enigma

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:14 am

I've had to right a tipped cow before. Stupid animal.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"My penis is VERY small" - Cunt.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll
Posts: 22077
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:02 am
Contact:

Re: the Upside Down Tortoise Enigma

Post by Seth » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:05 am

rEvolutionist wrote:I've had to right a tipped cow before. Stupid animal.
Me too.

Had a couple die in irrigation furrows over the decades. They get too far over they can't get back up.
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.

User avatar
pErvinalia
Off his meds
Posts: 51031
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:08 pm
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'
Location: dystopia
Contact:

Re: the Upside Down Tortoise Enigma

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:15 am

Although, to be fair, maybe it was our selective breading wot done it. Ye olde natural cow might not be so top heavy as to be susceptible to tipping and being unable to right itself once tipped.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"My penis is VERY small" - Cunt.

User avatar
pErvinalia
Off his meds
Posts: 51031
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:08 pm
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'
Location: dystopia
Contact:

Re: the Upside Down Tortoise Enigma

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:19 am

Seth wrote:
rEvolutionist wrote:I've had to right a tipped cow before. Stupid animal.
Me too.

Had a couple die in irrigation furrows over the decades. They get too far over they can't get back up.
I used to pass the odd cow stuck upside down in an irrigation furrow. My old toyota troopcarrier had an engine sound that used to scare the bejejus out of cows. So I often found the solution to saving these silly animals was to stop, reverse up next to them, and if that didn't scare them enough to flip back up the right way, I'd rev the engine until they got enough adrenaline pumping to sort themselves out. :hehe:

I've got to say, after spending that many years surrounded by frankly stupid cows, I really came to love the poor simple things. :{D
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"My penis is VERY small" - Cunt.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll
Posts: 22077
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:02 am
Contact:

Re: the Upside Down Tortoise Enigma

Post by Seth » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:53 am

rEvolutionist wrote:
Seth wrote:
rEvolutionist wrote:I've had to right a tipped cow before. Stupid animal.
Me too.

Had a couple die in irrigation furrows over the decades. They get too far over they can't get back up.
I used to pass the odd cow stuck upside down in an irrigation furrow. My old toyota troopcarrier had an engine sound that used to scare the bejejus out of cows. So I often found the solution to saving these silly animals was to stop, reverse up next to them, and if that didn't scare them enough to flip back up the right way, I'd rev the engine until they got enough adrenaline pumping to sort themselves out. :hehe:

I've got to say, after spending that many years surrounded by frankly stupid cows, I really came to love the poor simple things. :{D
Yeah, except the evil bitch cow who tried to stomp me to death one day...she was a fence-wrecker and had to wear a collar with three foot long shafts to keep her from bulling through fences. Sent her to the knacker eventually.
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.

User avatar
piscator
Posts: 4725
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:11 am
Location: The Big BSOD
Contact:

Re: the Upside Down Tortoise Enigma

Post by piscator » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:19 am


User avatar
JimC
The sentimental bloke
Posts: 62627
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:58 am
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: the Upside Down Tortoise Enigma

Post by JimC » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:54 am

Hearing rEv and Seth talk about cows together makes me think of Brokeback Mountain for some weird reason... :dunno:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

User avatar
JimC
The sentimental bloke
Posts: 62627
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:58 am
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: the Upside Down Tortoise Enigma

Post by JimC » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:57 am

I also needed to pose this question:

"What has this thread taught us?"
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll
Posts: 22077
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:02 am
Contact:

Re: the Upside Down Tortoise Enigma

Post by Seth » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:00 am

JimC wrote:Hearing rEv and Seth talk about cows together makes me think of Brokeback Mountain for some weird reason... :dunno:
Yeah, life isn't complete until you've found yourself bare-chested laying face down in the snow up to your armpit in a bovine vagina trying to turn a calf...in the dark...while it's snowing...for an hour or more...

Almost makes a guy want to turn vegetarian.
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.

User avatar
pErvinalia
Off his meds
Posts: 51031
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:08 pm
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'
Location: dystopia
Contact:

Re: the Upside Down Tortoise Enigma

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:40 am

JimC wrote:Hearing rEv and Seth talk about cows together makes me think of Brokeback Mountain for some weird reason... :dunno:
:funny:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"My penis is VERY small" - Cunt.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll
Posts: 22077
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:02 am
Contact:

Re: the Upside Down Tortoise Enigma

Post by Seth » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:30 am

rEvolutionist wrote:
JimC wrote:Hearing rEv and Seth talk about cows together makes me think of Brokeback Mountain for some weird reason... :dunno:
:funny:
JimC, you need to watch the movie again. They weren't cowboys, they were sheep herders, and everybody know what sheepherders like to do with sheep...and each other.
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.

User avatar
mistermack
Posts: 15093
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:57 am
About me: Never rong.
Contact:

Re: the Upside Down Tortoise Enigma

Post by mistermack » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:31 pm

Sheep, cows or tortoises, it's a hard lonely life on the range.

When they've faced death with a herd of stampeding tortoises bearing down on them, and come out the other side still breathing, it's not surprising that they nip into each other's tents to do what a man's gotta do.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest