A curious creationist

Mysturji
Clint Eastwood
About me: Downloading an app to my necktop

A curious creationist

Post by Mysturji » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:36 pm

Some time ago, I mentioned that one of my cow-orkers is a creationist.
The subject came up today (I didn't start it, but I took part in the conversation. We must be wearing him down. :demon: ) and, fair play to him, he admitted that he's "veering away from all that" and has been looking into the science side of the argument, but still isn't convinced.
One thing he particularly objects to is how can mutations increase the size of a genome, creating more complex species? (He's OK with mutations within a species, but not speciation. I've explained that the only real difference is time.)

So, can you guys recommend a short reading list?
A good introduction: one or two books that a layman could understand?
I might even read them myself. I'm into astronomy, physics & cosmology, but never found biology very interesting.

Thanks
Sir Figg Newton wrote:If I have seen further than others, it is only because I am surrounded by midgets.
Cormac wrote:Doom predictors have been with humans right through our history. They are like the proverbial stopped clock - right twice a day, but not due to the efficacy of their prescience.
IDMD2
I am a twit.

Clinton Huxley
19th century monkeybitch.

Re: A curious creationist

Post by Clinton Huxley » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:44 pm

Why Evolution Is True by Jerry Coyne is good. Also Donald Prothero's Evolution: What The Fossils Say And Why It Matters.
"I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled"

AND MERRY XMAS TO ONE AND All!

Imagehttp://25kv.co.uk/date_counter.php?date ... 20counting!!![/img-sig]

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:57 pm

A real-world example: Down Syndrome is caused by an extra copy of chromosome 21. As with most cases of genome size increase, the results are not good. But sometimes they are good, and those would be passed on more frequently.
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:14 pm

Evolution For Dummies and The Complete idiots's Guide to Evolution. I have them both, and have given away several copies. The books complement each other, one going for the "hard science", the other looking at the development of evolutionary theory. Great starter set.

Edited.
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:18 pm

klr wrote:A real-world example: Down Syndrome is caused by an extra copy of chromosome 21. As with most cases of genome size increase, the results are not good. But sometimes they are good, and those would be passed on more frequently.
Sickle Cell Anemia kills, but usually after the breeding age is nearly over. It helps fight off malaria, so it gets passed on.

Mysturji
Clint Eastwood

Post by Mysturji » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:48 pm

Thanks guys. I've given him the list. He says he'll pick one, read it and get back to be. :tup:
Next... the conspiracy theorist one desk over. :probe:
Sir Figg Newton wrote:If I have seen further than others, it is only because I am surrounded by midgets.
Cormac wrote:Doom predictors have been with humans right through our history. They are like the proverbial stopped clock - right twice a day, but not due to the efficacy of their prescience.
IDMD2
I am a twit.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:50 pm

Mysturji wrote:Thanks guys. I've given him the list. He says he'll pick one, read it and get back to be. :tup:
Next... the conspiracy theorist one desk over. :probe:
Yo! :read:

Mysturji
Clint Eastwood

Post by Mysturji » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:56 pm

Let's keep it down to one potentially sackable offence at a time. K?
IDMD2
I am a twit.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:05 pm

Mysturji wrote:Let's keep it down to one potentially sackable offence at a time. K?
If you want to be seen as weak, sure. :levi: