Me fossils.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Me fossils.

Post by Animavore » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:47 pm

I've decided to learn off all the different Families, Orders etc... on the evolutionary tree and I thought what better way to do it then to draw a member or two from each family with a short description. Focusing on a creature in such a way helps etch them into my head.
Anyway, instead of just drawing these to myself I've decided to share them with everyone else. I hope to do at least two a day when I get going although for today I'm only doing one because 1) having not drawn for a while my hand is sore and tired and 2) there's only really one species worth drawing of the two classified under this Order on the book I'm using.
I'm only picking one or two from each Order and ones I hope are most representative of that Order because otherwise I'll be here for ever :P

The book I'm using is this one for anyone who wants to spy on me for accuracy and plargarism :P

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

The first Order chosen, as I am merely going through the book in order, is Foraminiferida. As I'm going in order it shall be a while before I come across anything particularly interesting. Hopefully as the days pass the rust shall flake off my wrists and I can at least make mere rocks look interesting.

Forminifera are petit, single-celled organisms of the kingdom, Protista. Many species secrete a shell called a 'test' which is mainly made of calcium carbonate, sometimes of chitin and even from stuck together bits of sand and detritus. Most species live in the sea with planktonic forams floating near the surface, their mortal coils, their tests, shuffled and cast to the depths below, while other bethonic forams mope around the sea bed looking for a comfortable spot to rest. All travel in large numbers, their remains may gather to form rocks.

This little fella below is called a nummilite. I've drawn an artist's impression in the top left corner.

The spiral patterns are formed by tiny internal chambers. Their form is biconvex. They were once abundant in the ancient Tethys Ocean some 200 million years ago and limestone from their remains was used to build the pyramids.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

For the drawings I'm using a Wacom Bamboo tablet and pen with Art Rage 2 art package.
Photobucket album here.
http://s1278.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Fossils
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Thinking Aloud
Page Bottomer

Re: Me fossils.

Post by Thinking Aloud » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:56 pm

It's years since I've drawn forams. Or any other fossils actually. Great project.

Bella Fortuna
Sister Golden Hair
About me: Being your slave, what should I do but tend
Upon the hours and times of your desire?
I have no precious time at all to spend,
Nor services to do, till you require.

Post by Bella Fortuna » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:02 pm

That one looks like a tasty piece of cheese. :awesome:
Sent from my Bollocksberry using Crapatalk.
Food, cooking, and disreputable nonsense: http://miscreantsdiner.blogspot.com/

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:17 pm

It's a nice and crunchy piece of limestone :food:
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

rachelbean
"awesome."
About me: I'm a nerd.

Post by rachelbean » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:40 pm

:popcorn:
lordpasternack wrote:Yeah - I fuckin' love oppressin' ma wimmin, like I love chowin' on ma bacon and tuggin' on ma ol' cock… ;)
Pappa wrote:God is a cunt! I wank over pictures of Jesus! I love Darwin so much I'd have sex with his bones!!!!

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:43 am

As I mentioned on RatSkep; I haven't abandoned or forgotten this. It was just a bad time to start it.